Subscribe
    Oct 16, 2013, 3:03 PM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #226

Outstanding.....
  2. Member Since
    Dec 2012
    Oct 16, 2013, 4:10 PM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #227

Fantastic!
    Oct 17, 2013, 1:27 AM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #228

Thanks again for the comments guys, much appreciated.
    More to come soon!
    Oct 17, 2013, 5:41 AM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #229

You and Raf are a deadly accurate combo. Wow.. just wow. The contours on the chest/ab set look amazing.
    Oct 17, 2013, 12:08 PM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #230

Quote ikinaceous said: View Post
    You and Raf are a deadly accurate combo. Wow.. just wow. The contours on the chest/ab set look amazing.
    Thanks for the kind words! While I provided my templates and some advice, all the hard parts were made by Will (which consists in looking at a 2D drawing and sculpting a 3D piece from nothing). He is a great artist and a complete craftsman, but more than that, he is a true gentlemen.
  6. Member Since
    Sep 2013
    Oct 17, 2013, 2:29 PM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #231

Man I can't wait to get my order in. Anybody want to buy some music gear?! LOL. Looks great Will.
    Oct 17, 2013, 2:46 PM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #232

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate the feedback.
    As stated before, in my opinion Rafa is just as much the architect of this armor as I am and without his templates this armor would not look the way it does. HE is a true scholar and a gentlemen

Quick update, I finished blocking out the cod last night. Hope to have some photos to post up by early next week
  8. Member Since
    Jun 2006
    Oct 19, 2013, 1:23 PM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #233

Awesome!!!

I have the V.2 armours on my SE Fett, and although the costume has been 501st approved costume, and very succesfull with the girls, there has been something troubling me about it... The chest armour seemed to be a bit too large, and flat, as you have now remade the moulds.. Nice work on them, I really like them!

Here is my Fett, currently...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front pic.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	2.33 MB 
ID:	72355

Helmet is Bobamaker, Chest armour, yours, V2. Gauntlets, yours with reworked with fiberglass parts. Cod, steel, my work, knees, your V2.

I have some metal chest armour bits I originally meant to use on my Fett, though... I them made years ago, and they fit your V2. armour perfectly inside, just as you would have been vac formed over them... I am thinking of adding my metal armour on my Fett, as it will set the jetpack weight a bit forward..

Still your new V3 armours are tempting... VERY TEMPTING...

It seems that I really need to go over my metal ones, and add a hammer bang here and there, to get them even near to your new V3 armour!

If I am not succesfull, you will get some work for me, as well...

Great work with the V3, I REALLY like them!
    Oct 27, 2013, 1:40 AM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #234

Chibi, thanks for the kind words and yes I remember your build and costume VERY well (I think I even saved a few pics to show other people your work on it). You did an outstanding job on it!

Well here's another update (and final for a while, until I tackle the gaunts next year some time) on the V3 kit. This cod took me a bit longer than I originally anticipated, but I didn't want to rush through this just cause I was at the end (it was hard not to though I'll admit) and forced myself to give it the same care and attention as all the other pieces. Another huge thanks again to RF for his incredible templates. I must say I didn't expect the piece to look quite this way when it was done (particularly the lower groin area), but I'm very pleased with it and it was very comfy/form-fitting when I tried it on.

On to the pics.
    After blocking out and finishing up the mold, I started working on the raised flat area with dent (out of wood). Kind of a pain, but worth the extra effort and this is pretty much how I did my other V2 cod mold as well. That method worked out pretty well for me so I decided to use it again on this piece (don't fix it if it ain't broke right? )
    Here's the template (I really like the way Levi made this and the tiny little sharp 'tabs' connecting the lower groin frontal sides to the belt sides are a nice feature)

Here's the wood plate and bits in progress

I decided to just make these little guys out of wood. It's a great working medium for this type of stuff and also hard enough for vaccing as well as conducive to heat resistance

Some might think this next part is a little overkill, but it was my homage and salute to RF for taking the time to add such detailed curves to every aspect of these templates...I figured if he's going the extra mile, why shouldn't I (yes I'm paying attention to all of it brotha! ). As you'll notice, there's a slight indented curve on the front bottom of these...

And here they are all attached to the mold

So the large center dent that I cut out of the wood didn't look right in the first test pull, so I filled it in with some 'Rondo' and tried again. I usually will carve it out with the sharper bit shown then switch over to a ball bit and then finish it up with final sanding for smoothing out (very happy with that method)

And here it is in all it's white plastic glory....Cod, meet the world....world, meet my... uh...cod

One thing I should mention (and some of you might remember it from earlier in this thread) is that I widened the kidney/butt plate just a tad in order to give it a beefier look (it was pretty narrow looking, even though I know RF's templates are spot on). Naturally, in order to keep the matching cod the same in proportion and consistency, I had done the same to it as well. I pretty much just added a half inch to the top edge of the cod itself (cause it was pretty small) leaving everything else below it as is (I did have to make an adjustment for the raised rectangles and larger dent). Have no worries though, all the dents are still in the same spots for painting purposes and Rafal's templates should still line up correctly (albeit just lower) with them.
    Here's how it matches up with the kidney -

And of course, as promised, here's the final 'family photo' of the new V3 family
    ESB Set

And ROTJ Set

I'll try to get some size comp pics up with this kit and my V2 in a few days as soon as I get a chance, so everyone can see the differences.
    As always, thanks again for looking and stay tuned for more in the 'not so far far away' future
    -RKD
    Oct 27, 2013, 4:15 AM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #235

Wow! You did a more than great job with that cod plate and you really outdid yourself with those 2 kits!

...And thanks again for the kind words!
    Oct 28, 2013, 1:40 AM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #236

Received my V3 knee armor and extras, thank you.
    Oct 28, 2013, 3:48 AM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #237

Quote RafalFett said: View Post
    Wow! You did a more than great job with that cod plate and you really outdid yourself with those 2 kits!
    Thanks again so much Rafa, with your help

Thanks again Ken, may they serve you well for a long time
    Oct 28, 2013, 5:11 AM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #238

**** it RKD, you are making me want to replace my BM armour.
    Oct 28, 2013, 1:35 PM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #239

Wow...thank you for that kind compliment!
    Dec 9, 2013, 2:13 AM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #240

Been hard at work in the shop again. I finally finished up what I will now be referring to as my V2.1 armor (slowly replacing some of the pieces from the V2 set) for large guys. The chest set has been completed and is the same size overall as the previous V2 only with the more accurate and ergonomic compound curves (the same as my V3's). ROTJ pictured below, but I will also be doing ESB (which is basically the same except for no dent on the right breast plate) Here's some pics, enjoy!

Bells up next, stay tuned!
  16. Dec 9, 2013, 11:31 AM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #241

NICE!!!
    Dec 9, 2013, 6:27 PM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #242

I can never remember which of your armor versions is equivalent to which of the WOF template sizes -- for reference/comparison purposes. I want to make sure I get the right size.

And chibifett -- I'd suggest getting a full dentless set of this armor in white and going Supertrooper. I'm planning out two sets, myself, currently. One for me and one for a friend. I'd love to see a full squad at C7.

Also, a confirmation from RafalFett -- Do I see it correctly that I should go with the ESB version when doing Pre-Pro 1 armor?

--Jonah
    Last edited by Peregrinus; Dec 9, 2013 at 6:42 PM.
    Dec 9, 2013, 6:56 PM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #243

Quote redkraytdragon said: View Post
    This new kit will be made for medium range sized guys. I believe it is more 'studio scaled' per RF's templates. I've met Jeremy in person and I believe his right at 6' (correct me if I'm wrong)
    He was 6'1" at the time he filmed ESB. Same height I am currently. He's older now, so he's probably lost a little height due to age. If it's accurately scaled to the actual costume pieces, then this new armor will fit me just as it did Jeremy in 1979. Tem Morrison, on the other hand, is 5'8". I know from comparing measurements that Jango's helmet was a bit shy of 1% smaller than Boba's (717mm around the base of the dome versus 724mm -- not counting the half-circle r/f base that juts up). But Tem is a bit more solidly built than Jeremy was, so I don't know how much smaller his armor was than Boba's. Rafal might know, since he shames even []imy[/i] knowledge in this area.

All that to say, only slight trimming should be needed to make this v3 armor fit guys under six feet.

--Jonah
    Dec 9, 2013, 10:56 PM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #244

Here's how it breaks down Jonah -
    V3 = Medium sized (akin to WOF medium size templates, but not based on them), studio scale per RF's templates
    V2 = Large sized (akin to WOF large size templates, and based on WOF large size)

It's kinda confusing because the sizing is a bit backwards when referring to it in those terms. I kept the version titles on each as is because my V2 was my second attempt and V3 my third attempt correspondingly and wanted to keep those in that order solely in terms of what order I made them
    Hope that helps cause I want to make sure you (and everyone else) gets the right size as well. Glad you brought that up so I could clarify!

I think you're right on Jeremy's size (as well as his loss of some due to age). The V3 is closer to what he wore, according to RF's information and scaled templates
    Dec 10, 2013, 12:34 AM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #245

Quote Peregrinus said: View Post
    Also, a confirmation from RafalFett -- Do I see it correctly that I should go with the ESB version when doing Pre-Pro 1 armor?

--Jonah
    Most of the ESB armor parts will do for a Pre-Pro #1, but you'll need an abdominal plate that has the upper and the lower dents in different positions (fettpride has this type of abdominal plates):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PP1 ESB Ab Plate.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	73360

While the upper dent is pretty close, the lower dent is positioned more to the right.

On a side note: you can see the repainted Pre-Pro #1 abdominal plate in the AoSW/C-IV exhibits, while the ESB Hero abdominal plate was repainted and now is part of the ROTJ Hero suit, which is present in the MoM, DaG and SWtE exhibits.
    Dec 10, 2013, 12:59 AM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #246

That's pretty interesting Rafal, I didn't know that. As always, thanks for sharing!
    Dec 10, 2013, 1:40 AM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #247

Thanks, indeed. So for my friend's PP1 project I'm going to go with IOA for all the armor pieces save the belly plate and the left gauntlet... *jots down notes* I need to print out a WOF template piece to double-check what size my steel armor is -- I know it's either medium or large, but I can never remember...

--Jonah
    Dec 10, 2013, 4:48 AM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #248

Quote redkraytdragon said: View Post
    That's pretty interesting Rafal, I didn't know that. As always, thanks for sharing!
    I have more info in this thread ==> The Fate Of The Twin Armors: Pre-Pro #1, Pre-Pro #3 and ESB.
    Dec 18, 2013, 6:09 PM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #249

That's a lovely bit of reading material, there. You're one of my favorite kinds of people in this hobby. Driven to root out the facts, however it might clash with long-held ideas about how something was.

At the risk of slight derailment, have you thought of tackling the Supertrooper/PP1 flamethrower? Especially the nozzle bits. I've done a bit with it, but haven't had time to properly delve.

Also, what did they use to close the non-ROTJ gauntlets? They abut so cleanly the seam almost disappears, so it's not the visible hinge a lot of people use on their builds. Nor is it the overlap with velcro that the ROTJ used. Magnets? Hidden hinges?

Back to you now, Will.

--Jonah
    Dec 24, 2013, 3:54 PM - Re: Resculpting my Fett armor #250

PP sent for ROTJ cod/butt/back. Thanks!