Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rattle Can Fett Attempt

  1. #1

    Rattle Can Fett Attempt

    Hey all,

    Here is some progress shots of my rattle can attempt. Here is the chest armor prior to weathering. At some point, I think I am going to get a set of armor painted up by one of the TDH pros, but for now, I am reasonably satisfied by how these are turning out.

    Was looking for comments prior to finalizing and attaching decals. Photos below:

    Without Flash

    With Flash

    With Flash


    Thanks,
    Terrantula

  2. #2
    saint_nasty's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2006
    From
    bozeman, mt go cats!!!
    Posts
    2,815

    Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt

    it's not bad, dude. very good first go-round with your armor.

  3. #3
    RafalFett's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2010
    From
    Galati, Romania
    Posts
    2,637

    Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt

    Looks awesome! I don't understand why you want to buy armor painted by others when your job is excellent. What could you ask more? Just keep up the great work, you are on the right track.

  4. #4
    dynamic1's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2010
    From
    Murrieta Ca.
    Posts
    1,183

    Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt

    Great work! Dirty it up a bit and you golden!

  5. #5
    JayBox325's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2011
    From
    Bath, South West, UK
    Posts
    608

    Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt

    Wow. Is this ESB? Mate, help a fellow Fetter trying to find out what colours for ESB armour in Rattlecan!

  6. #6
    clonecollector's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2007
    From
    Northeast U.S.A
    Posts
    1,591

    Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt

    That's a good job for a first timer!! I like it!

    Can you tell us what rattlecans you used? And who made your armor?

  7. #7

    Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt

    Thanks man, it does feel nice knowing that i did it by myself. There are so many great painters here that i would love to have items from. It is humbling to see some of their works, lol

    Terrantula

    RafalFett said: View Post
    Looks awesome! I don't understand why you want to buy armor painted by others when your job is excellent. What could you ask more? Just keep up the great work, you are on the right track.

  8. #8

    Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt

    Exactly. Will work on some weathering over the next few days.

    Terrantula

    dynamic1 said: View Post
    Great work! Dirty it up a bit and you golden!

  9. #9

    Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt

    JayBox,

    Started with krylon primer, then used krylon metallic aluminum, the yellow is line stripe yellow, the main green is rustoleum spruce green, I then used krylon hunt club green for some weathering. I'll take some pictures of the paint i used as soon as i am home tonight.

    Terrantula

    JayBox325 said: View Post
    Wow. Is this ESB? Mate, help a fellow Fetter trying to find out what colours for ESB armour in Rattlecan!

  10. #10

    Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt

    Thanks for the compliment! The armor is FettPride V3. fantastic pieces!! Ill take pictures of the cans tonight. hopefully it will help others out.
    Terrantula

    clonecollector said: View Post
    That's a good job for a first timer!! I like it!

    Can you tell us what rattlecans you used? And who made your armor?

  11. #11
    JayBox325's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2011
    From
    Bath, South West, UK
    Posts
    608

    Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt

    Cheers mate. That's cool. But we don't have Krylon over here in the UK. I need to find a UK equivalent of Spruce Green!

  12. #12
    clonecollector's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2007
    From
    Northeast U.S.A
    Posts
    1,591

    Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt

    I'm going to be doing a repaint (using Rafalfett's templates!) and I was going to use the same colors. The striping yellow too!

  13. #13
    Mojo-Fett's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2007
    From
    UK
    Posts
    4,783

    Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt

    Nice work bro.. especially 1st time.
    Just need to a little weathering, small scratches and some scuffs especially on the right hand side of the ab plate...

  14. #14
    welshwarrior123's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2009
    From
    London, Hertfordshire
    Posts
    392

    Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt

    Looks fantastic, like mojo and the others said when you start to weather the pieces it will really bring it all together. Also when you put the decal on the rig chest piece it doesn't look so bare. Great first go anyways, look forward seeing some more.

    Welsh

  15. #15
    Frenzy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2011
    From
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    54

    Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt

    I'm gonna join the others and congratulate you on the great paintjob! The damage looks wonderful and you did the right choice with those Krylon paints. Have you already applied a clearcoat varnish to protect the armor? I'd suggest getting some spray-on anti-shine varnish to get rid of the shine, although krylon finish is already quite matte.

    That's just my two cents! Looks very nice to me, carry on!

    Cheers,
    -Frenzy

  16. #16

    Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt

    Thanks for the compliments! Some weathering should help knock down a bit of the shine, at least that is my hope I need to order up some decals now..

    Terrantula

  17. #17
    ThePhantom's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2011
    From
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    263

    Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt

    Looks great mate...well done. I am in the same boat with my paint job I think mine has turned out ok and I'm pretty happy with and you should be proud of yours too.

  18. #18

    Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt

    As promised, here is the pictures of the paint that I used. I was mistakenly thought that I used Krylon. For whatever reason (paint fumes perhaps?) Krylon was stuck in my head. It was Rustoleum that I used. I took a group photo of them as well as individual photos showing the product number. Hope this might help someone out in the future.













    Terrantula

  19. #19
    BobaFiend's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2009
    From
    Marietta, Ga
    Posts
    780

    Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt

    When you seal I highly recommend you use Testors Dulcote. It comes in a little spray can, is expensive, and can mostly only be found at hobby shops but the finish and texture are amazing and it's an enamel so it will protect your paintjob.

  20. #20

    Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt

    Thanks, Ill look into Testors Dulcote. I used to use it for RC cars back in the day, totally forgot about it.

    apolifka said: View Post
    When you seal I highly recommend you use Testors Dulcote. It comes in a little spray can, is expensive, and can mostly only be found at hobby shops but the finish and texture are amazing and it's an enamel so it will protect your paintjob.

  21. #21

    Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt

    Got a couple of additional pieces painted up and today. Still working on the weathering. I also picked up some Testors Dull Cote so I am going to see how that works out. Im pretty excited about it. Still need to work on the shoulders, rear armor, back armor and knees, but at least this is coming along. Slowly but surely.




    Terrantula

  22. #22

    Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt

    Looking good man. The breast plate on the left on this picture seems a little too 'clean'. Try to weather it a little more if you can. Also, have you though about misting the armor with gradients of brown or other dark earth-tone colors? I think that would help make it have a more real world dirty and gritty quality to it.

    It's great to see the weathering you got looks more blue that black (black can tend to flatten a color scheme unless needed otherwise). I also really like what exposed metal color you got going thus far! Grit the metal too! metal gets dirty too!

    Please don't take my comment to harshly (I apologize). I'm just trying to think of ways to make it feel a lot more 'real'. Keep it up!

  23. #23

    Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt

    Not taken harshly at all. Appreciate the comments. I would love to toss on some browns and other tones but with this being a spray can, im a bit nervous about overdoing it. I do need to tackle the breast plate a bit and work on the metal, I agree that the metal gets aged as well.

    Thanks,
    Terrantula

    Archaster777 said: View Post
    Looking good man. The breast plate on the left on this picture seems a little too 'clean'. Try to weather it a little more if you can. Also, have you though about misting the armor with gradients of brown or other dark earth-tone colors? I think that would help make it have a more real world dirty and gritty quality to it.

    It's great to see the weathering you got looks more blue that black (black can tend to flatten a color scheme unless needed otherwise). I also really like what exposed metal color you got going thus far! Grit the metal too! metal gets dirty too!

    Please don't take my comment to harshly (I apologize). I'm just trying to think of ways to make it feel a lot more 'real'. Keep it up!

  24. #24
    RafalFett's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2010
    From
    Galati, Romania
    Posts
    2,637

    Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt

    Not bad at all, but I have a problem with the collar armor: on that part there isn't any yellow scratch. When I did the ESB Hero armor stencils I did it that way, but looking to all the stills from the Gallery I realized that the collar plate is painted differently and for accuracy's sake I remade my armor stencils. You can easily fix that by painting some dark grey on top of that yellow; because you are using rattle can colors, just spray some paint in a big cap and using a brush apply the paint on those yellow scratches.

    esb-armor-colors-jpg

  25. #25

    Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt

    I had noticed that as well on a few peoples collars, but wasn't sure which way to go so I went with minimal yellow. I could easily respray at this point though as I haven't used the Dull Cote on the collar yet.

    Terrantula

    RafalFett said: View Post
    Not bad at all, but I have a problem with the collar armor: on that part there isn't any yellow scratch. When I did the ESB Hero armor stencils I did it that way, but looking to all the stills from the Gallery I realized that the collar plate is painted differently and for accuracy's sake I remade my armor stencils. You can easily fix that by painting some dark grey on top of that yellow; because you are using rattle can colors, just spray some paint in a big cap and using a brush apply the paint on those yellow scratches.

    esb-armor-colors-jpg

Similar Threads

  1. Best "rattle can" green for Fett Armor?
    By chris2fett in forum Boba Fett Costume
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Nov 19, 2009, 5:38 AM
  2. ROTJ Jetpack rattle cans
    By Son of the Baptist in forum Boba Fett Costume
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Oct 7, 2009, 9:34 PM
  3. great new rattle cans
    By suspect86 in forum The Sarlacc Pit
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: Apr 3, 2008, 7:29 PM
  4. rotj rattle can color
    By teabo in forum Boba Fett Costume
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Mar 27, 2008, 12:12 PM
  5. My First Attempt at Fett Boots
    By azheat01 in forum Boba Fett Costume
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Apr 21, 2007, 6:29 PM
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •