Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    Feb 8, 2012, 11:30 PM - Rattle Can Fett Attempt #1

Hey all,

Here is some progress shots of my rattle can attempt. Here is the chest armor prior to weathering. At some point, I think I am going to get a set of armor painted up by one of the TDH pros, but for now, I am reasonably satisfied by how these are turning out.

Was looking for comments prior to finalizing and attaching decals. Photos below:

Without Flash

With Flash

With Flash

Thanks,
    Terrantula
    Feb 9, 2012, 12:07 AM - Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt #2

it's not bad, dude. very good first go-round with your armor.
    Feb 9, 2012, 12:54 AM - Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt #3

Looks awesome! I don't understand why you want to buy armor painted by others when your job is excellent. What could you ask more? Just keep up the great work, you are on the right track.
    Feb 9, 2012, 1:19 AM - Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt #4

Great work! Dirty it up a bit and you golden!
    Feb 9, 2012, 7:11 AM - Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt #5

Wow. Is this ESB? Mate, help a fellow Fetter trying to find out what colours for ESB armour in Rattlecan!
    Feb 9, 2012, 7:51 AM - Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt #6

That's a good job for a first timer!! I like it!

Can you tell us what rattlecans you used? And who made your armor?
    Feb 9, 2012, 8:40 AM - Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt #7

Thanks man, it does feel nice knowing that i did it by myself. There are so many great painters here that i would love to have items from. It is humbling to see some of their works, lol

Terrantula

Quote RafalFett said: View Post
    Looks awesome! I don't understand why you want to buy armor painted by others when your job is excellent. What could you ask more? Just keep up the great work, you are on the right track.
    Feb 9, 2012, 8:41 AM - Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt #8

Exactly. Will work on some weathering over the next few days.

Terrantula

Quote dynamic1 said: View Post
    Great work! Dirty it up a bit and you golden!
    Feb 9, 2012, 9:09 AM - Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt #9

JayBox,

Started with krylon primer, then used krylon metallic aluminum, the yellow is line stripe yellow, the main green is rustoleum spruce green, I then used krylon hunt club green for some weathering. I'll take some pictures of the paint i used as soon as i am home tonight.

Terrantula

Quote JayBox325 said: View Post
    Wow. Is this ESB? Mate, help a fellow Fetter trying to find out what colours for ESB armour in Rattlecan!
    Feb 9, 2012, 9:13 AM - Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt #10

Thanks for the compliment! The armor is FettPride V3. fantastic pieces!! Ill take pictures of the cans tonight. hopefully it will help others out.
    Terrantula

Quote clonecollector said: View Post
    That's a good job for a first timer!! I like it!

Can you tell us what rattlecans you used? And who made your armor?
    Feb 9, 2012, 9:18 AM - Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt #11

Cheers mate. That's cool. But we don't have Krylon over here in the UK. I need to find a UK equivalent of Spruce Green!
    Feb 9, 2012, 1:11 PM - Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt #12

I'm going to be doing a repaint (using Rafalfett's templates!) and I was going to use the same colors. The striping yellow too!
    Feb 9, 2012, 1:16 PM - Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt #13

Nice work bro.. especially 1st time.
    Just need to a little weathering, small scratches and some scuffs especially on the right hand side of the ab plate...
  14. Feb 9, 2012, 4:06 PM - Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt #14

Looks fantastic, like mojo and the others said when you start to weather the pieces it will really bring it all together. Also when you put the decal on the rig chest piece it doesn't look so bare. Great first go anyways, look forward seeing some more.

Welsh
    Feb 9, 2012, 4:14 PM - Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt #15

I'm gonna join the others and congratulate you on the great paintjob! The damage looks wonderful and you did the right choice with those Krylon paints. Have you already applied a clearcoat varnish to protect the armor? I'd suggest getting some spray-on anti-shine varnish to get rid of the shine, although krylon finish is already quite matte.

That's just my two cents! Looks very nice to me, carry on!

Cheers,
    -Frenzy
    Feb 9, 2012, 5:07 PM - Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt #16

Thanks for the compliments! Some weathering should help knock down a bit of the shine, at least that is my hope I need to order up some decals now..

Terrantula
    Feb 9, 2012, 6:57 PM - Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt #17

Looks great mate...well done. I am in the same boat with my paint job I think mine has turned out ok and I'm pretty happy with and you should be proud of yours too.
    Feb 9, 2012, 9:06 PM - Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt #18

As promised, here is the pictures of the paint that I used. I was mistakenly thought that I used Krylon. For whatever reason (paint fumes perhaps?) Krylon was stuck in my head. It was Rustoleum that I used. I took a group photo of them as well as individual photos showing the product number. Hope this might help someone out in the future.

Terrantula
    Feb 9, 2012, 9:24 PM - Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt #19

When you seal I highly recommend you use Testors Dulcote. It comes in a little spray can, is expensive, and can mostly only be found at hobby shops but the finish and texture are amazing and it's an enamel so it will protect your paintjob.
    Feb 9, 2012, 10:41 PM - Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt #20

Thanks, Ill look into Testors Dulcote. I used to use it for RC cars back in the day, totally forgot about it.

Quote apolifka said: View Post
    When you seal I highly recommend you use Testors Dulcote. It comes in a little spray can, is expensive, and can mostly only be found at hobby shops but the finish and texture are amazing and it's an enamel so it will protect your paintjob.
    Feb 11, 2012, 10:07 PM - Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt #21

Got a couple of additional pieces painted up and today. Still working on the weathering. I also picked up some Testors Dull Cote so I am going to see how that works out. Im pretty excited about it. Still need to work on the shoulders, rear armor, back armor and knees, but at least this is coming along. Slowly but surely.

Terrantula
    Feb 11, 2012, 10:54 PM - Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt #22

Looking good man. The breast plate on the left on this picture seems a little too 'clean'. Try to weather it a little more if you can. Also, have you though about misting the armor with gradients of brown or other dark earth-tone colors? I think that would help make it have a more real world dirty and gritty quality to it.

It's great to see the weathering you got looks more blue that black (black can tend to flatten a color scheme unless needed otherwise). I also really like what exposed metal color you got going thus far! Grit the metal too! metal gets dirty too!

Please don't take my comment to harshly (I apologize). I'm just trying to think of ways to make it feel a lot more 'real'. Keep it up!
    Feb 11, 2012, 11:38 PM - Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt #23

Not taken harshly at all. Appreciate the comments. I would love to toss on some browns and other tones but with this being a spray can, im a bit nervous about overdoing it. I do need to tackle the breast plate a bit and work on the metal, I agree that the metal gets aged as well.

Thanks,
    Terrantula

Quote Archaster777 said: View Post
    Looking good man. The breast plate on the left on this picture seems a little too 'clean'. Try to weather it a little more if you can. Also, have you though about misting the armor with gradients of brown or other dark earth-tone colors? I think that would help make it have a more real world dirty and gritty quality to it.

It's great to see the weathering you got looks more blue that black (black can tend to flatten a color scheme unless needed otherwise). I also really like what exposed metal color you got going thus far! Grit the metal too! metal gets dirty too!

Please don't take my comment to harshly (I apologize). I'm just trying to think of ways to make it feel a lot more 'real'. Keep it up!
    Feb 12, 2012, 2:08 AM - Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt #24

Not bad at all, but I have a problem with the collar armor: on that part there isn't any yellow scratch. When I did the ESB Hero armor stencils I did it that way, but looking to all the stills from the Gallery I realized that the collar plate is painted differently and for accuracy's sake I remade my armor stencils. You can easily fix that by painting some dark grey on top of that yellow; because you are using rattle can colors, just spray some paint in a big cap and using a brush apply the paint on those yellow scratches.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ESB Armor colors.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	58603
    Feb 12, 2012, 10:03 AM - Re: Rattle Can Fett Attempt #25

I had noticed that as well on a few peoples collars, but wasn't sure which way to go so I went with minimal yellow. I could easily respray at this point though as I haven't used the Dull Cote on the collar yet.

Terrantula

Quote RafalFett said: View Post
    Not bad at all, but I have a problem with the collar armor: on that part there isn't any yellow scratch. When I did the ESB Hero armor stencils I did it that way, but looking to all the stills from the Gallery I realized that the collar plate is painted differently and for accuracy's sake I remade my armor stencils. You can easily fix that by painting some dark grey on top of that yellow; because you are using rattle can colors, just spray some paint in a big cap and using a brush apply the paint on those yellow scratches.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ESB Armor colors.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	58603