Subscribe
    3 Days Ago - Mar 1, 2015, 9:33 PM - Rare earth magnets for armor - advice? #1

I've never used rare earth magnets to attach armor to vests/jumpsuits before, but I am looking to do it now. Any advice/tips on doing so? My plan is to JB Weld a series of magnets to the inside of my Wickedbeard armor and attach through the vest/suit fabric with a second set of magnets.

I know these things are super-strong (yet brittle); is there an idea size in terms of thickness or diameter? They seem to come in very small sizes. Are these things strong enough to prevent the armor pieces from sliding across the fabric and moving out of their original position?

Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2. Member Since
    Nov 2014
    3 Days Ago - Mar 1, 2015, 9:40 PM - Re: Rare earth magnets for armor - advice? #2

Half inch circular ones worked fine for me and are pretty cheap. Placed them on the corners of the armor and it was a snap.
    3 Days Ago - Mar 1, 2015, 11:46 PM - Re: Rare earth magnets for armor - advice? #3

I'm also looking for a good method to use. I may try earth magnets instead of velcro.
  4. Member Since
    Oct 2012
    3 Days Ago - Mar 1, 2015, 11:49 PM - Re: Rare earth magnets for armor - advice? #4

Have you read the 'stickied' thread at the top of the costume section? It's a veritable thesis on the subject. Definitely worth reading.
    3 Days Ago - Mar 2, 2015, 12:09 AM - Re: Rare earth magnets for armor - advice? #5

You probably don't need two sets of magnets. Meaning you can just weld the magnets on to your armor and then use metal washers to attach them. That is what I did and it works great. The armor aint moving. Plus if you use magnets on both sides it can get tricky with the center diamond piece because the magnets there will start pulling on the other ones(being so close together). If that makes sense.
    3 Days Ago - Mar 2, 2015, 1:43 AM - Re: Rare earth magnets for armor - advice? #6

That's a really great idea with the washers, Furious. Kinda wish I'd have thought of that instead lol. Definitely saves on money for magnets
    2 Days Ago - Mar 2, 2015, 6:01 AM - Re: Rare earth magnets for armor - advice? #7

That is a good idea. Two magnets together can be a little too strong. I've broken quite a few when they snapped together a little too hard.