A question about the Girth Belt.

From
    Indiana

A question about the Girth Belt.

I have a question about Boba Fett's Girth Belt. I understand its a 14 strand belt with 4 buckles... question is... is there a standard to the thickness of the rope? 1/4", 5/16", 3/8"???

Re: A question about the Girth Belt.

thefetth said: View Post
    I have a question about Boba Fett's Girth Belt. I understand its a 14 strand belt with 4 buckles... question is... is there a standard to the thickness of the rope? 1/4", 5/16", 3/8"???
    each is 1/4"

From
    North Texas

From
    Indiana

I know what belt it is. I've seen them in different thickness of rope. I also can braid my own if I can figure out which thickness is correct. I have a girth belt now that seems to thick compared to the reference pics I have and 1/4" seems too thin. But reference pics are hard to judge without something to compare to.

From
    North Texas

I have never seen a Centaur mohair girth belt in any other thickness other than the one I posted.

I apologize for the answer, by the question I thought you were asking which girth belt was correct. I was simply pointing out the correct one. I can tell by the terse response that I offended.......sorry.

From
    Indiana

Oh no... Your post was useful. I'm thinking about buying one from the site you posted. I have a tendency to type really fast and over simplify and it sometimes comes off as short and rude so the apology is mine. I do appreciate your help. I was just trying to explain what I was asking and was too short about it. I had bought a girth belt a while back that was a nylon rope belt. My intent was to tear it down and figure out how it was made so I could get cotton rope and make it so I could dye it and it wouldnt rub off. How does the mohair take to dye? Or how would I color it?
    Last edited by thefetth; Apr 21, 2014 at 9:12 PM.

From
    North Texas

In short it doesn't take dye. There is a way to dye it but you can't use RIT or fabric dye, you need to use wood stain. I soak it in acetone for bit and then put it in the stain and let it set for quite a while. Then I touch it up with spray paint.

Somewhere on the site is a how to thread about the process. I think it is titled "a new way to dye girth belts" or something like that.

Also when ordering remember that the belt is originally intended to be used with a saddle, so if you order a 34 inch girth belt it will be an actual length of about 30-31 inches tip to tip. When you add the nylon to the straps to the buckles you will get back to the correct length. I have seen several people order incorrect lengths because they weren't aware of the actual length vs the listed length.

Glad I didn't offend.

thefetth said: View Post
    Oh no... Your post was useful. I'm thinking about buying one from the site you posted. I have a tendency to type really fast and over simplify and it sometimes comes off as short and rude so the apology is mine. I do appreciate your help. I was just trying to explain what I was asking and was too short about it. I had bought a girth belt a while back that was a nylon rope belt. My intent was to tear it down and figure out how it was made so I could get cotton rope and make it so I could dye it and it wouldnt rub off. How does the mohair take to dye? Or how would I color it?
    I just dyed mine with a latex stain from the sticky thread about it in the costume section. Did it yesterday and still waiting for it to dry completely, but fairly simple to do.

MullReal... where were you before I bought one!!! ahaha thanks for the post, though! (Day late dollar short for me)

I've ordered mu Mohair Girth from Victory like five minutes ago... I've check the posts and treads for sizes and everything. I soon as it comes in, I'll let you guys know if it fits... or if I screwed up!!

From
    Netherlands

Got the girth belt from Victory last week (check topic Dutch Fett for pics). My waist is 33.5, my hips are 35.2 so I got the 36. It fits roomy enough with some stretch left. It sits pretty low so I think I can get it tighter and higher where it belongs... room between buckles. You can tie it really tight now until buckles meet at waist height, but when I want to breath normally and calculate space for cod and back piece it will be 5-7 inches I guess, with still an inch room more or less with stretching.