Subscribe
  1. SPY007's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2006
    Posts
    297
    Apr 3, 2013, 1:12 AM - Question about the 3 holes in the belly plate #1

    Does anyone know what is most accurate for making the 3 holes in the belly armor plate? Were the holes drilled out and a piece of plastic glued to the back of the belly plate to make shallow holes? Were they vac formed into the belly armor? Thanks.
  2. RafalFett's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,699
    Apr 3, 2013, 4:27 AM - Re: Question about the 3 holes in the belly plate #2

    Quote SPY007 said: View Post
    Does anyone know what is most accurate for making the 3 holes in the belly armor plate? Were the holes drilled out and a piece of plastic glued to the back of the belly plate to make shallow holes? Were they vac formed into the belly armor? Thanks.
    My thought on this is that the holes were drilled out, but it is possible that these were first partially vacuum formed into the abdominal plate and then drilled out. It is also possible that the purpose of the 3 holes was to enhance the sound made by the speaker hidden under the abdominal plate. The only image that shows partially the inside of the abdominal plate is this:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Abdominal Speaker.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	177.6 KB 
ID:	68053
  3. Member Since
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    55
    Apr 3, 2013, 5:16 AM - Re: Question about the 3 holes in the belly plate #3

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fett speaker.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	559.1 KB 
ID:	68054I think they were added after the fact, and that what u see behind the 3 holes is the housing part of the speaker,
    Last edited by Prepro2; Apr 3, 2013 at 5:22 AM.
  4. Member Since
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    39
    Apr 3, 2013, 8:08 AM - Re: Question about the 3 holes in the belly plate #4

    They are shown clearly in the later concept artwork in the Gallery section ... but in those images another symmetrical arrangement/set of holes is on the opposite side .... it seems they either filled in one set or preferred the 'asymmetric' effect of having only one set ... nothing to do with speakers i suspect.
  5. RafalFett's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,699
    Apr 3, 2013, 9:15 AM - Re: Question about the 3 holes in the belly plate #5

    Quote Archangel67 said: View Post
    They are shown clearly in the later concept artwork in the Gallery section ... but in those images another symmetrical arrangement/set of holes is on the opposite side .... it seems they either filled in one set or preferred the 'asymmetric' effect of having only one set ... nothing to do with speakers i suspect.
    At least one complete suit was built and assembled (late May, early June 1978) which served as a presentation prototype for approval:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boba-Fett-Costume-Test-Fitting-01.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	246.7 KB 
ID:	68057

    The concept art you are talking about was drawn after or in time of the Supertrooper footage (28th June, 1978) when the Supertrooper idea was already dropped and replaced with the single bounty hunter, Boba Fett:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boba-Fett-Joe-Johnston-Concept-Art-0299a.png 
Views:	121 
Size:	528.0 KB 
ID:	68056

    This drawing was more a generic concept and didn't reflected the real suit. Just to name some of the differences:

    1. Switched L/R gauntlets.
    2. Upside down knees with dart blocks on each sides.
    3. Ammo pouches with different sizes and forms.
    4. Symmetrical cheek (small holes between the upper and lower cheeks) and abdominal plate (the 3 holes) details.
    5. Differently shaped armor plates.

    There was another detail that appeared in the concept drawings, but changed its position during the prototype build:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Concept & ST Shoulder Arrows.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	139.0 KB 
ID:	68058

    This feature was not used in the pre-production, promo or hero suits.

    So, what you see on those concept drawings is not a proof that it was used or intended to use on the real suit(s). But you might be also right regarding the 3 holes being present on both sides and later the right side filled in to achieve a non-symmetrical look.
  6. redkraytdragon's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,119
    Apr 3, 2013, 3:05 PM - Re: Question about the 3 holes in the belly plate #6

    Rafa, dude you are a PLETHORA of information bro...you never cease to amaze me. Thanks for all the great pics (which incidentally I've never seen before) and keep up the good work!
  7. 22ssplt's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,553
    Apr 3, 2013, 3:08 PM - Re: Question about the 3 holes in the belly plate #7

    Quote redkraytdragon said: View Post
    Rafa, dude you are a PLETHORA of information bro...you never cease to amaze me. Thanks for all the great pics (which incidentally I've never seen before) and keep up the good work!
    Ill second that. Raf did you ever work for George making the fett suit? Ha!
  8. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,678
    Apr 3, 2013, 3:12 PM - Re: Question about the 3 holes in the belly plate #8

    Quote redkraytdragon said: View Post
    Rafa, dude you are a PLETHORA of information bro...you never cease to amaze me. Thanks for all the great pics (which incidentally I've never seen before) and keep up the good work!
    Will lemme introduce you to the GALLERY Gallery - The Dented Helmet Gallery Theres all these pics of all the armor in there....

    I know you get where Im going with this
  9. redkraytdragon's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,119
    Apr 4, 2013, 2:09 AM - Re: Question about the 3 holes in the belly plate #9

    Yes...heheh...yes I do
  10. RafalFett's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,699
    Apr 4, 2013, 4:23 AM - Re: Question about the 3 holes in the belly plate #10

    Quote redkraytdragon said: View Post
    Rafa, dude you are a PLETHORA of information bro...you never cease to amaze me. Thanks for all the great pics (which incidentally I've never seen before) and keep up the good work!
    Thanks a lot! I use the same images and info found here and/or on the Internet.

    Quote 22ssplt said: View Post
    Ill second that. Raf did you ever work for George making the fett suit? Ha!
    I wish I was working for him...

    Quote Fett 4 Real said: View Post
    Will lemme introduce you to the GALLERY Gallery - The Dented Helmet Gallery Theres all these pics of all the armor in there....

    I know you get where Im going with this
    This is exactly what I say every time! The TDH Gallery is full of goodies but it seems that few of us use it. I have most of the images saved and categorized on my PC (more than 12GB of data), so for me is easy to search for the desired images or documents.
  11. thebeans's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2012
    Posts
    462
    Apr 4, 2013, 4:43 AM - Re: Question about the 3 holes in the belly plate #11

    according to Debroah Fine in her wonderful book, Star Wars Chronicles, no other star wars characters development was ever documented to such a high degree.

Similar Threads

  1. My Aluminium Chest, belly and shoulders
    By Bill in forum Boba Fett Costume
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Oct 18, 2010, 2:19 AM
  2. FP Armor: What size AB plate holes?
    By SlabFett in forum Boba Fett Costume
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: May 7, 2010, 4:51 PM
  3. Backplate to collar plate question
    By cleavis in forum Boba Fett Costume
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Sep 19, 2007, 12:03 PM
  4. Question about studs and the Neck plate
    By Nocturne in forum Boba Fett Costume
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Oct 26, 2005, 10:00 AM