Problems with ROTJ cape

From
    North Carolina

Problems with ROTJ cape

Hello guys. I have finished my ROTJ cape. I made it out of army shelter, weathered it, and it looks awesome. But I'm not sure if I should put the grommet on. I have seen TK409's diagram on how to put the cape on the collar armor via a screw. But would having a grommet on the cape make too much room between the stud and armor on the coller? I dont want to find out that one coller stud is unusually and awkwardly higher than the rest because the grommet is there. But I also dont want to find out that over time, the weight of the cape frays the fixed point and tears because I had no grommet to reinforce it. Please help. When I get the cape atatched, I'll post a pic as a thank you.

From
    SW Minnesota, very small town

Re: Problems with ROTJ cape

I think its generally accepted taht the cape stud will sit higher, and is suposed to when you use the grommet. I know my esb version does. That said, I trooped for 3 years with my older canvas ESB cape that just had a hole in it, (I'm guessing similar weight to yor ROTJ,) and it never frayed around the attachment point. But, if you do that route, I would recomend melting a hole in it with a soldering iron, rather than just cutting a hole. A cut hole will fray much easier, but a soldering iron will kinda "melt" the fabric, making it much more fray resistant. A third option, is to sew, (or have sewed) a button hole around your attachment point. That also should keep it from fraying.
    D

From
    North Carolina

Thanks! That info is reassuring. If it's normal to have a higher stud, then I'll go with the grommet. After all, it makes it more screen accurate.

-T

i never bothered with the grommet myself. mine is just a hole.

From
    Massachusetts

I have the grommet and don't like the look of it so I use a hole next to it.

From
    Carlisle, PA

I've seen both the hole and the grommet used fine. I just finished my ROTJ cape and I have the grommet, but I'll wait till my armor is done to see if I like how it sets on the grommet or I might do what webchief did and use a hole next to it

From
    bozeman, mt go cats!!!

if i recall correctly, the cape goes on the post for the stud in between the back and neck plates. it doesn't really affect the height too much. that and when most people see ou they'll be too blown away by the awesomness of a "real" boba fett to notice a 1/8" height difference on a detail only tdh'ers would notice.

From
    Norwalk, CT

I have the grommet and it works fine and looks the same as the stud next to it.