Subscribe
  1. Gravity's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    108
    Nov 13, 2011, 11:06 AM - Plugs and Wires: XLR on Screen ROTJ? #1

    There are a couple of screen captures that show a wire/cable running from Boba's left breast plate and connecting to a 90 degree XLR plug on his jetpack.
    BooBoo Fett has modded his costume accordingly. See this thread (post #44 for details):

    http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/b...more-se-39246/

    I love the idea, and I bought all the stuff with which to do it. However, I don't see the cable and plug in enough shots to determine whether it was only included on the stunt costume or if it's the hero costume.

    Can any experts chime in with their analysis? It'd be greatly appreciated.
  2. RafalFett's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,687
    Nov 14, 2011, 2:12 AM - Re: Plugs and Wires: XLR on Screen ROTJ? #2

    That cable on the ROTJ suit is visible only because with the time pressure they dressed the actor/stunt in a hurry. Look at this image: the vest is not closed in the back and the cable is visible.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boba Fett at the Sarlac Pit.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	299.3 KB 
ID:	57135

    The suit originally had the chest display under the left chest plate and a speaker under the abdominal plate (not the center diamond) and I think it was used on all suits (but wasn't functional on all). The ESB Hero and the ROTJ Hero had the chest display functional but the speaker was deactivated because they didn't wanted to use the actor's voice and was dubbed by Jason Wingreen). The best proof is (as told by Jeremy Bulloch) the scene when Boba Fett is guarding the boarding of Han in Carbonite on his ship, and he say the line: Put Captain Cargo in the Solo hold! but because of the helmet no one noticed that.
  3. Gravity's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    108
    Nov 14, 2011, 10:30 AM - #3

    That's great information, Rafal. You are like an encyclopedia!
    So, if the cable is not supposed to be visible, how is it routed to the jetpack?
    The XLR plug is visible on the bottom of bottom left of the jetpack/rocketpack in another of BooBoo Fett's reference pictures,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321284651.888150.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	57137 and the AOSW pics show that the XLR plug was used.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321284464.228831.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	163.2 KB 
ID:	57136
    I really want to run power from my jetpack, but I want to be screen accurate.
  4. RafalFett's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,687
    Nov 16, 2011, 7:38 AM - Re: Plugs and Wires: XLR on Screen ROTJ? #4

    The cables and hoses are masked by the vest which had two openings in the lower back for easy access to the jetpack.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vest Holes.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	545.5 KB 
ID:	57166

    But the setup was slightly different on some of the suits; the first prototype had the connectors on the bottom of the jetpack, and the other jetpacks had all the connectors on the bottom back part.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jetpacks.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	57167
  5. Gravity's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    108
    Nov 16, 2011, 8:34 AM - #5

    Incredible. Thanks so much for your help, Rafal.
  6. BooBoo Fett's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,574
    Nov 16, 2011, 1:24 PM - Re: Plugs and Wires: XLR on Screen ROTJ? #6

    Quote RafalFett said: View Post
    That cable on the ROTJ suit is visible only because with the time pressure they dressed the actor/stunt in a hurry. Look at this image: the vest is not closed in the back and the cable is visible.
    The suit originally had the chest display under the left chest plate and a speaker under the abdominal plate (not the center diamond).
    Yes, they did goof on dressing the double. But unfortunately, this production could never be found guilty of Continuity! The cable should have been run under the belts to the left thigh pocket.

    For me, running the cable to Jet Pack made sense. It's the perfect place to safely and securely mount electronics and batteries.

    I really had no idea that there ever was a speaker mounted in the vest. I would not have imaged so, as it would be useless during filming even if the actors voice was to be used. I mounted mine behind the center diamond because it sits over my "concaved" breast bone. Hence, the speaker does not cause a bulge in the vest.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chest Display Power Cable.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	57190 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chest Display Power Cable b.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	185.7 KB 
ID:	57189
  7. Gravity's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    108
    Nov 16, 2011, 3:07 PM - #7

    As BooBoo Fett points out, there doesnt seem to be much continuity. So, I think it's safe either way.
    Also, what about the pic in my post above that shows the 90 degree XLR plug, and the pic of the jetpack from AOSW that shows the female XLR receptacle location and the white pushbutton? Where was that jetpack used?
    I like that setup, and I can use the white pushbutton as a global on-off power switch, which I would be able to reach on my own while suited up.
  8. BooBoo Fett's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,574
    Nov 16, 2011, 4:39 PM - Re: Plugs and Wires: XLR on Screen ROTJ? #8

    Quote Gravity said: View Post
    As BooBoo Fett points out, there doesnt seem to be much continuity. So, I think it's safe either way.
    Also, what about the pic in my post above that shows the 90 degree XLR plug, and the pic of the jetpack from AOSW that shows the female XLR receptacle location and the white pushbutton? Where was that jetpack used?
    I like that setup, and I can use the white push button as a global on-off power switch, which I would be able to reach on my own while suited up.
    I think (I said, I think) those Jet Packs are one and the same. They both have the same features (panel mount XLR and push button switch).
  9. Gravity's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    108
    Nov 16, 2011, 4:47 PM - #9

    Yeah. I think you're right.
    That action screenshot, is that a stunt double in a stunt suit, or is it the hero suit?
  10. BooBoo Fett's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,574
    Nov 16, 2011, 8:49 PM - Re: Plugs and Wires: XLR on Screen ROTJ? #10

    That, I do not know. Sorry
  11. RafalFett's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,687
    Nov 17, 2011, 4:09 AM - Re: Plugs and Wires: XLR on Screen ROTJ? #11

    Quote Gravity said: View Post
    Yeah. I think you're right.
    That action screenshot, is that a stunt double in a stunt suit, or is it the hero suit?
    That IS the ROTJ Hero suit in the scene where his whip cord is cut by Luke and the guardians are shooting at the skiff!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boba ROTJ 033.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	529.8 KB 
ID:	57206 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boba-Fett-Costume-Return-of-the-Jedi-Skiff-05.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	57207

    The jetpack is the same with the one posted by me at post no. 4 (wich is a pre-ROTJ photo) but for the Jedi they added that XLR connector and the push button for the bottom of the jetpack.

    Quote BooBoo Fett said: View Post
    I really had no idea that there ever was a speaker mounted in the vest. I would not have imaged so, as it would be useless during filming even if the actors voice was to be used. I mounted mine behind the center diamond because it sits over my "concaved" breast bone. Hence, the speaker does not cause a bulge in the vest.

    I know this from the Supertrooper presentation footage where Ben Burtt point at the abdominal plate. And I think the speakers still exists under the abdominal plate:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Supertrooper 22.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	57208 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boba-Fett-Costume-MoM-121601A-167.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	746.9 KB 
ID:	57210
  12. RafalFett's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,687
    Nov 17, 2011, 4:33 AM - Re: Plugs and Wires: XLR on Screen ROTJ? #12

    Quote Gravity said: View Post
    As BooBoo Fett points out, there doesnt seem to be much continuity. So, I think it's safe either way.
    Also, what about the pic in my post above that shows the 90 degree XLR plug, and the pic of the jetpack from AOSW that shows the female XLR receptacle location and the white pushbutton? Where was that jetpack used?
    I like that setup, and I can use the white pushbutton as a global on-off power switch, which I would be able to reach on my own while suited up.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ROTJ Jetpacks.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	604.3 KB 
ID:	57211

    Although the stunt jetpack looks similar to the hero one, it's more wonky and lack most of the fine details.

Similar Threads

  1. what color are the wires
    By dhs36 in forum Boba Fett Costume
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Oct 25, 2007, 12:05 AM
  2. Screen Used ROTJ Jet Pack
    By GCNgamer128 in forum Boba Fett Costume
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Feb 17, 2007, 8:43 PM
  3. ROTJ Screen accurate Jet Pack harness
    By INDY in forum Boba Fett Costume
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Dec 30, 2006, 8:33 AM