Permanent but Discreet Fix for a Snapped RF Stalk?Subscribe
    Nov 20, 2015, 2:58 PM - Permanent but Discreet Fix for a Snapped RF Stalk? #1

dscn4100-jpg

So this happened a while ago in transport. It's happened before closer to the ear and I simply fiberglassed it back together and that break still stronger than ever. But then it broke for a second time, now in the middle, I thought no big deal, I'll just fiberglass it again. So I did, but it's snapped in the same spot almost only a day later. I think it may be because I sanded the fiberglass down to make it a little less noticeable so I made the bond weaker. So I'm wondering, what could I do to fix this break which won't bulk out the RF or make it screen inaccurate? My go-to was fiberglass, but it's an ugly mend. I'd like to keep my RF rather than replace it, seeing as the helmet is custom sized for my noggin and it has the wires in it for my RF lights. With a con coming up and the big premiere, I don't have time to replace it.

Halp?
  2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
    Nov 20, 2015, 3:17 PM - Re: Permanent but Discreet Fix for a Snapped RF Stalk? #2

To be honest, get a new one (-;
    Nov 20, 2015, 3:39 PM - Re: Permanent but Discreet Fix for a Snapped RF Stalk? #3

I agree with Nemesis. Fortunately, it's one of the easier pieces to swap out and replace (even with the wires) and it's relatively affordable. I'd get a new one.
    Nov 20, 2015, 3:58 PM - Re: Permanent but Discreet Fix for a Snapped RF Stalk? #4

new aluminium one for cheap bucks
    Nov 20, 2015, 4:28 PM - Re: Permanent but Discreet Fix for a Snapped RF Stalk? #5

The helmet being scaled down 95%, a regular stalk would be too big. Also the stalk is pinned and bondoed to the rangefinder, meaning I'd destroy the RF trying to remove it. So I'd need a stalk and RF along with new electronics, none of which will get to me in time given I live in the UK.
  7. Nov 20, 2015, 4:45 PM - Re: Permanent but Discreet Fix for a Snapped RF Stalk? #6

Quote Jesuit24 said: View Post
    The helmet being scaled down 95%, a regular stalk would be too big. Also the stalk is pinned and bondoed to the rangefinder, meaning I'd destroy the RF trying to remove it. So I'd need a stalk and RF along with new electronics, none of which will get to me in time given I live in the UK.
    In that case, I'd recommend filling both halves of your cracked stalk, epoxy in some long metal "hobby" rods on one end, and drill appropriate holes into the other. Epoxy the other ends of the rods, slide it into place, and do some cleanup. Should stiffen it up and that way you can repair it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    Nov 20, 2015, 5:13 PM - Re: Permanent but Discreet Fix for a Snapped RF Stalk? #7

Yep, epoxy, sandpaper and paint.
    Nov 20, 2015, 5:20 PM - Re: Permanent but Discreet Fix for a Snapped RF Stalk? #8

Is epoxy stronger than resin? I used epoxy to hold the elastic to my kneepads at first, but after it kept coming off, I used a couple of strips of fiberglass and resin and they're still stuck.
    Nov 20, 2015, 7:09 PM - Re: Permanent but Discreet Fix for a Snapped RF Stalk? #9

It really depends on what you're fixing, epoxy works real well on plastic to plastic bonds. The straps on your knee pads probably came loose due to all of the expanding and contracting of the bands themselves and they worked their way loose. The stalk should hold up fine seeing how there's no moving parts on the stalk.