Subscribe
    1 Week Ago - Jun 25, 2015, 3:23 AM - paint questions - UK #1

Hi

My lid has finally arrived and I'm thinking ahead to paint up. Having read the consolodated threads on this, I have a few questions.

1 - where do you get your humbrol paints from? I can't see many of the colours required listed on amazon other than in those little pots. I assume I'm looking for airbrush size which is different..?
    2 - my visor is already attached when the lid arrived. Is using masking tape to mask this off during painting going to be effective enough?
    3 - how feasible is it to use car spray rattlecans from Halfords mixed to the right colour and then dullcote the lot at the end instead of airbrush?

Thanks for your input guys.
  2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
    6 Days Ago - Jun 25, 2015, 4:35 AM - Re: paint questions - UK #2

yeah the little tins are the ones you need....you'll need to dilute them with thinners, so they do go a long way. Amazon can be quite pricey, so shop around for them...my local WH smith has a modelzone and these tend to be cheaper.

as for masking, it should be fine, just make sure you get a really good quality masking tape so no bleeding happens....however if it is easily removeable, that would be better.

rattle cans will do a good job, but you may struggle to get the exact colours and it wont be as fine as an airbrush, but you can still get some good results, using silver as your base coat is a good idea if nothing else......Humbrol do make some model paints in rattle cans now....again, the colours are limited but it does help...I did my chest armour using the dark green as a base.

hope that helps
    6 Days Ago - Jun 25, 2015, 4:49 AM - Re: paint questions - UK #3

Humbrol is fairly easy to find in the UK. Hobbycraft, Antics and absolutely any model shop that isn't a Game Workshop will stock them.
    6 Days Ago - Jun 25, 2015, 5:01 AM - Re: paint questions - UK #4

Ebay is quite a good source for humbrol paints too.
  6. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    6 Days Ago - Jun 25, 2015, 2:20 PM - Re: paint questions - UK #5

I use Halfords paints to do the dome of my helmets, just try to get the closest green that you can, i use Peugeot Tartan Green for the main colour which is quite close
  7. 6 Days Ago - Jun 25, 2015, 8:01 PM - Re: paint questions - UK #6

I had always assumed that Humbrol was an English model paint as was readily available in most countries...
    i hAve used it with great success, but I'm also lucky enough to have a good stock of floquil paint also.
    6 Days Ago - Jun 26, 2015, 2:32 AM - Re: paint questions - UK #7

Managed to get pretty much everything I needed in rattlecan form from B&Q's spray paints section in store, much to my amazement. The colours aren't an absolute exact match but considering I was just expecting primer, white, black and grey they're actually very very close!
  9. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    4 Days Ago - Jun 27, 2015, 12:19 PM - Re: paint questions - UK #8

FYI this is Peugeot Tartan Green

http://i.imgur.com/CWYBXQ4.jpg