OPINIONS: How's this for a jumpsuit base?

OPINIONS: How's this for a jumpsuit base?

Thinking the easiest way to do this is to find something in white twill and then dye it, I started poking around. The Dickies coveralls don't come in white, so I ranged farther and found this.

My take would be to get two, one long-and one short-sleeved, zipper front, no pockets. Remove the long sleeves from that one and sew them into the armholes of the short-sleeved one, then use the rest of the extra coverall for pocket and neckseal material.

Being a poly/cotton blend, I'll probably have to use more powerful dyes than RIT, but I'll have plenty of leftover fabric to experiment with.

--Jonah

From
    SW Minnesota, very small town

Re: OPINIONS: How's this for a jumpsuit base?

That might work!!!

Yes, I think that should work fine! The neckseal does not match the jumpsuit in color, so you may want to leave it white and weather it, or dye it a different color.

What version are you working on?

ESB and custom. With the custom obviously I can do whatever the heck I want. *heh* I'm hoping it's at least 60% cotton, but not too hopeful, since the site listed polyester first. RIT has more colours available, and I'm not looking forward to trying to reproduce their Evening Blue. It'll be a lot easier for my custom.

I'm planning to do the neckseal at the same time I do my vest, and just not leave it in as long as the vest to get the different shades.

--Jonah

Sound like a great plan, esp being custom. Then you have some room to play with it.

If Poly is listed first, it is probably more Poly than Cotton, But it is worth a shot.

Try dye from Darhma Trading. They have many different types, for different fabric types.

And remember to add salt to the dye bath. It helps to set the color.

Oh, believe me, I know Dharma.

I'm probably going to do my custom first, and use some of the leftover fabric to test dyes/mixes to try to approximate the Evening Blue, and once I have it figured, I'll do the ESB suit.

Be nice if I can knock out all the soft parts for each costume in a weekend each -- not counting boots. But I won't rush it.

--Jonah