Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Spideyfett is offline Spideyfett
    Apr 16, 2008, 10:09 AM - Re: Ok, about US Medium Green #26

Quote Satxer said: View Post
    Ok, just enough to take off a little paint but still keeping a fine layer of it? I just don't want to run into where the paint starts cracking. Like when you mix 2 different brands of Spray paint. But if it is airbrushing on, I don't see that happening.
    If you are sanding Sintra/vac-formed armor...then I would recommend wetsanding....it's quicker and your finsh will be perfect.

and I'm assuming you are painting topical?
    Apr 16, 2008, 10:09 AM - Re: Ok, about US Medium Green #27

I actually used the Testors Medium Green as a primer for my armor. Then I airbrushed the Floquil US Med Green over it.
    I wanted to use a primer that was close to the top coat. . . use less paint that way.
    Apr 16, 2008, 10:35 AM - Re: Ok, about US Medium Green #28

Quote Spideyfett said: View Post
    If you are sanding Sintra/vac-formed armor...then I would recommend wetsanding....it's quicker and your finsh will be perfect.

and I'm assuming you are painting topical?
    It is Fiberglass MLC.
    Apr 19, 2008, 10:43 AM - Re: Ok, about US Medium Green #29

Did a little online research last night, and I think I found an enamel equivalent for "US Med Green". First of all the Testors "Med Green" has the FS (Federal Standard) number 34102. Testors also makes an acrylic with the same FS # called "TAC-MED Green". STAY AWAY FROM THESE!! THEY ARE NOT EVEN CLOSE TO "US MED GREEN"!

The Polly Scale "US Med Green" has the code ANA 612 (Navy Air Craft Colors).
    I have yet to check it out, but FS 34092 is supposedly a close match to ANA 612. Testors sells "European Green" in enamel with the FS 34092 code. It might be a little dark, but I'm sure much closer than what we've had in the past. Next time I'm at the hobby shop, I'm picking up a couple of bottles to test it out.

Hope this helps somebody out.
    Apr 19, 2008, 10:54 AM - Re: Ok, about US Medium Green #30

Definately let us know how the color testing goes!!!!! Thanx
    D
  6. formerly Tk5019 Mr. No Stripes's Avatar
    Apr 19, 2008, 11:41 AM - Re: Ok, about US Medium Green #31

this may be a dumb question... do you mostly airbrush the paint or use a brush, which looks better?
    Apr 20, 2008, 10:41 AM - Re: Ok, about US Medium Green #32

Airbrush all the way, TK5019. You can use a brush to add topical damage, but all base colors need to be airbrushed.

I went ahead and picked up a few bottles yesterday. It's sold as Model Master "Euro Dark Green". It used to be the color on the back of the ESB helmet on the RS color list. He's since changed that to RLM 73. I haven't sprayed it out yet, but I like the look of it. It's a nice blueish green.
    Apr 20, 2008, 11:16 AM - Re: Ok, about US Medium Green #33

I think the Euro Dark Green is too dark for the armor.
    I use it as a base for mixing a custom color for the back panels of my ESB helmets.
  9. Rogue Studios is offline Rogue Studios
    Apr 20, 2008, 4:34 PM - Re: Ok, about US Medium Green #34

The color by Floquil is US medium Green however I may have jumped the gun and called testors version that and it's probably Medium Green less the U.S. on the front remeber Testors bought Floquils military line so practically every color they produced was from Floquil. I've painted several sets of armor with it. Let me check my color chart and I'll post right back.

Testors model master Medium Green: FS34102.

Got to remember this color gets it's character or look from the weathered black misting which darkens it significantly. There are other greens to choose from but the key is finding a Green that Floquil produced between 1967 and 1978 this was the best closest look unless you choose Dark Green.

Lee
    Last edited by Rogue Studios; Apr 20, 2008 at 4:51 PM.
    Apr 20, 2008, 10:02 PM - Re: Ok, about US Medium Green #35

As long as I got the right stuff from that Testors link, up above. I am gonna be sanding my armor soon and don't wanna color it wrong. I wonder why it hasn't updated the order yet though.
  11. Rogue Studios is offline Rogue Studios
    Apr 21, 2008, 8:20 AM - Re: Ok, about US Medium Green #36

I think the biggest misunderstanding folks have with these colors is they were worked over after being sprayed on and if folks expect it to look exactly right by just spraying it on might be in for a dissappointment. it's a little more complicated than that and getting the look right and applying proper weathering techniques. So don't be bummed at first.
    Apr 21, 2008, 9:01 AM - Re: Ok, about US Medium Green #37

Weathering isn't a problem. It is getting the color to look the closest before weathering. Not to mention, how inaccurate does hunter green look on all of Boba's armor?
    Apr 21, 2008, 9:46 AM - Re: Ok, about US Medium Green #38

Quote superjedi said: View Post
    I think the Euro Dark Green is too dark for the armor.
    As I said in an earlier post, it is a little dark, but SOOO much closer than Testors Med Green. For those of us painting with enamels, we don't have much of a choice. I'll probably end up getting a bottle of Polly Scale acrylic US Med Green so I can match it better. Who knows, but it might looks pretty good with a drop or two of white to lighten it up.

In finding this information, I also found a website where you can compare FS paint chips. It's pretty cool, and you can click on this link to see how FS 34092 compares to FS 34102.

http://www.colorserver.net/showcolor.asp?fs=34092+34102

In the interest of full disclosure, here's where I found the original info:

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazin...colours_us.htm

It's a really cool article about the history of military paint colors, where they were used, and how the names and formulations have changed.

-Ryan

14. Rogue Studios is offline Rogue Studios
    Apr 21, 2008, 6:57 PM - Re: Ok, about US Medium Green #39

No comment on Hunter Green or Catapillar yellow either.
    Apr 21, 2008, 7:59 PM - Re: Ok, about US Medium Green #40

I know what Hunter Green looks like, I have it as my armor color now. It doesn't look bad, but it is quite different I admit.

Apr 23, 2008, 7:56 PM - Re: Ok, about US Medium Green #41

Here, I have done a test spraying with my airbrush experimenting with the European DK green. When the US med green comes in tomorrow, I will post a comparison pic for ya.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Test Paint.JPG 
Views:	266 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	24100  
    Apr 24, 2008, 10:05 AM - Re: Ok, about US Medium Green #42

Awesome, Saxter! I can't wait to see how they compare.
  18. Rogue Studios is offline Rogue Studios
    Apr 24, 2008, 10:58 AM - Re: Ok, about US Medium Green #43

Hey do me a favor and try some Dark green if you can nab some.
    Apr 24, 2008, 11:02 AM - Re: Ok, about US Medium Green #44

I won't be able to stop by the store that sells the paint til tomorrow after work, but I will do.
    Apr 25, 2008, 8:42 PM - Re: Ok, about US Medium Green #45

Ok, got to painting today, pic 1 is inside with a light on and flash any daylight left.

Pic 2 is taken outside with hardly

Pic 3 is the comparison.

The dark green looks closer to that italian olive spray paint. The only other question is, should I seal this with anything for a protective layer? Or will it be fine?

Name:	BobaP1.JPG 
Views:	255 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	24190   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BobaP2.JPG 
Views:	236 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	24191   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BobaP3.JPG 
Views:	249 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	24192  

Apr 26, 2008, 9:56 AM - Re: Ok, about US Medium Green #46

How would you say the Euro Dark green compares with the US Med Green? From your pics it doesn't look too dark, but maybe too blue.
    Apr 26, 2008, 7:55 PM - Re: Ok, about US Medium Green #47

if that euro green just had afew more drops of green to it it would be a great color
    Apr 26, 2008, 10:22 PM - Re: Ok, about US Medium Green #48

Ok, this morning I check on the armor, and didn't realize it left such a rough coat on it, so I used a real fine sandpaper and cleaned it up, than added a new coat. Later in the afternoon I decided to do the details on it. The weatherin pics aren't shown, but I did that a little bit ago.

Quote BOBA PHAT said: View Post
    How would you say the Euro Dark green compares with the US Med Green? From your pics it doesn't look too dark, but maybe too blue.
    Ok, to answer your question, it is different. Definately darker.

Took a better pic for ya.

Name:	2.1.JPG 
Views:	194 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	24271  
    Apr 27, 2008, 11:22 AM - Re: Ok, about US Medium Green #49

Thanks! I'll eventually get a bottle of US Med Green, and see if I can tweak the Euro Green to better match it.
    Apr 27, 2008, 9:11 PM - Re: Ok, about US Medium Green #50

The US Med green looks great in person. Gotta find out why my camera sucks. The Euro dark green looks a bit like a flat Spray of Hunter Green.