Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Kylash327
    Jul 23, 2002, 11:05 AM - Merged: Re: ESB Fett did carry a sidearm in the movie - PICS UP :) #26

It gun almost looks like you could make one from one of those old black Laser Tag guns with the top removed.
  2. Member Since
    May 2002
    Jul 23, 2002, 11:21 AM - Merged: Re: ESB Fett did carry a sidearm in the movie - PICS UP :) #27

fettcicle wrote:When someone posted a pic of the Nemrod spear gun and suggested it was the gun that was used to make the Bespin gaurd blasters it looked pretty obvious. Then it was suggested that Boba carried a modified version of this gun in a holster. Which looked correct, so I bought a Nemrod. I thought I had something, but a view of Boba's gun from a pic showed the grip of his gun to be rectangular on the bottom, the Nemrod grip is oval. Now, I'm not sure if these shots of his gun are accurate, but if they are, his gun may not be a Nemrod ..... DARN!
    I went to the ref CD and pulled up the production photo of Jeremy Bulloch wearing the suit from behind which has a great shot of the pistol in the holster shown here:

This weekend I was at one of my Dad's friend's house and he had several of his pistols out, one of which is a new .22 target pistol, the grip is what had my attention though in that it has the weighted rectangular bottom, anatomical grip with the finger overlay, and the grip continues into the body. Also because it's a target pistol the barrel starts just over the base of the thumb which is consistent with the picture but is not as long as the picture, but I think with some tweaking could work. I'm going to wait till the next gun show and see if I can pick up an uncut target grip without barrel and then give it a crack with a sander to see if I can make anything happen.

3. Member Since
    Jul 2002
    Jul 27, 2002, 2:13 AM - Merged: Re: ESB Fett did carry a sidearm in the movie - PICS UP :) #28

I am using that Nintendo Zapper. I removed the light gray parts and wire, adding a new barrel and a few more little details llike the stock.
  4. I helped at SDCC '08 journeymanprotector's Avatar
    Jul 27, 2002, 3:38 PM - Merged: Re: ESB Fett did carry a sidearm in the movie - PICS UP :) #29

First off, crisisfilms, what did you use as the barrel end for your zapper?

Secondly, while we're on/around the subject. How do I go about making a decent holster for that sidearm? What is the rough shape of it, is it comparable to the Marmit holster? Does anyone have a picture of the actual holster or of a fan-made holster that is agreed to be reasonably accurate?

Also I imagine it can be made from a single piece of material that is folded around. It would be great to see even a rough idea of what kind of shape could be turned into a holster for this thing.

I hope this isn't too confusing,
    Thanks much,
    Phil
    Jul 27, 2002, 7:04 PM - Merged: Re: ESB Fett did carry a sidearm in the movie - PICS UP :) #30

My holster is based off of the Marmit since there is absolutely no shot to get any kind of design from.Plus the Marmit's does look nice,and get's points for being accurate to something

Jul 27, 2002, 10:33 PM - Merged: Re: ESB Fett did carry a sidearm in the movie - PICS UP :) #31

The holster looks a lot like this actually...

I can't tell if the grip on this thing is oval or rectangular....opinions?

Jul 27, 2002, 10:48 PM - Merged: Re: ESB Fett did carry a sidearm in the movie - PICS UP :) #32

Looks oval but hopefully I'm wrong. -Mark
    Jul 27, 2002, 10:49 PM - Merged: Re: ESB Fett did carry a sidearm in the movie - PICS UP :) #33

Yeah, it does look ovalish. I'm hoping that maybe it's just a vintage version of that speargun.

9. Member Since
    May 2002
    Jul 27, 2002, 11:51 PM - Merged: Re: ESB Fett did carry a sidearm in the movie - PICS UP :) #34

I think on the holster you might want to cut lower, because the back view picture makes it look like the trigger is exposed, at least IMO.

Jul 28, 2002, 12:13 AM - Merged: Re: ESB Fett did carry a sidearm in the movie - PICS UP :) #35

This is the Marmit holster- for what it is worth...

I agree that holster or speargun is not even 90% accurate, but I think it's close enough to look like we are on the right track...

11. thraken
    Jul 28, 2002, 12:40 AM - Merged: Re: ESB Fett did carry a sidearm in the movie - PICS UP :) #36

Since its one of those details that very few know about, I'll be using a Jango blaster as my side arm. I've painted a rubies Jango blaster to look all beat up, like Boba still carries a bit of dad with him. All you see on the costume is the metal barel tip and the handel anyway.
  12. Member Since
    Jul 2002
    Jul 28, 2002, 8:59 PM - Merged: Re: ESB Fett did carry a sidearm in the movie - PICS UP :) #37

I'm using the tip to a Jango blaster on the end of mine.
    Aug 15, 2002, 10:03 PM - Merged: Re: No luck with the ESB side arm so how 'bout a Jango side arm? #38

I'm using a "modified" Hasbro Westar for my sidearm.

My thinking is this: If Boba took his father's helmet and jet pack after his death, what would have prevented him from taking one of the Westars too? Being alone now, he would need some way to protect himself, and considering that Jango taught him how to fight, I'm sure he could handle a Westar. Besides, kids love guns.

Having said that, I went with the idea that my Boba sidearm was one of Jango's Westars. The gun started out chrome, out of the box, which wasn't even accurate to begin with. The Visual Dictionary shows that the barrel is some type of chrome-type metal, and that the grip is a slightly darker metal.

Therefore, I went with the idea that the metal of the barrel would probably be of higher quality metal than that of the grip, since the barrel is the really important part of the gun. IF the barrel's metal is of higher quality than the grip's metal, it should age more slowly, and with less degradation than the grip would.

I repainted the barrel with Testor's Model Master "Steel", which is more subdued than chrome, and gives it an aged look. I repainted the grip with Rust-O-Leum "Anodized Bronze", which looks like the original color, only many shades darker, which is a believable hue if the metal degraded alot over the 30+ years since Boba would have picked the gun up. I'm also assuming that Boba would have actually USED the Westar, and not put it up somewhere.

If he used it a good deal for 30+ years, it would have received its share of battle scars, scrapes, rust, carbon scoring and buildup, and weathering.

To complete the gun (and make it look more real), I opened it up and replaced the cheesy orange plastic "light tube" that lights up when you pull the trigger with a 1/2" diameter brass tube.

After closing the gun back up, it looks just like how I imagine one of Jango's Westars would look years later if used by Boba on a regular basis.

Admittedly, the gun *could* be made out of some type of indestructible/impervious metal that would not lose it's finish or suffer adversely from regular use for a long time, but we'll probably never know one way or another.

I'll post pics when I get it dullcoated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~

:::UPDATE:::

Here are those pics that I promised...

This is a pic of the completed Westar, after repainting & dullcoating it. I replaced the orange plastic light tube with a 1/2" brass tube.

I weathered the barrel (after sanding the "chrome paint" off) by applying Testor's "Steel", "Jet Exhaust", "Gun Metal", and Liquitex "Mars Black" acrylic paints. The base ("Steel") was airbrushed on, then the "Jet Exhaust" and "Gun Metal" colors were sponged on. The "Mars Black" was then airbrushed as a final color before dullcoating. It took more time and effort, but the layering produced an effect that is very realistic. Sorry my pictures don't do it justice.

This is a pic of the holster that I made for the Westar out of vinyl. I sewed it using a sewing machine, and hand-stitched the strap onto the holster. The strap is "quilted", as well.

I would say that the total cost of the holster to make, vinyl and snap and thread, was about $.50 - $.75. It's hard to figure it out, since I bought everything in large amounts, but I would say that that amount is pretty close. It's not perfect, and my sewing leaves a lot to be desired, but for less than $1.00, you can't go wrong! Besides, I STILL have to weather (beat up) the holster some anyway.

This is a pic of the Westar in the holster on the same belt with the utility pouches on it (just out of frame).

All in all, not a bad accessory for about $10 and a few hours of work!

I may eventually replace the holster with a leather one, but for now, the vinyl seems to be strong enough, and it's the same material that I made my utility pouches out of, so it matches.
  14. Member Since
    Jul 2002
    Aug 16, 2002, 1:26 PM - Merged: Re: No luck with the ESB side arm so how 'bout a Jango side arm? #39

Dull coated yet?? i'de love to see those pics!
    Aug 16, 2002, 4:57 PM - Merged: Re: No luck with the ESB side arm so how 'bout a Jango side arm? #40

Nope. Just finished the weathering (sponging and airbrushing) last night and unfortunately, I had to go to work today (my boss is silly like that).

I'll try to get it done this weekend.
  16. Member Since
    Jul 2002
    Aug 17, 2002, 12:53 AM - Merged: Re: No luck with the ESB side arm so how 'bout a Jango side arm? #41

Boba's sidearm has a stock on it though.
  17. Purity Knight
    Aug 17, 2002, 12:53 AM - Merged: Re: No luck with the ESB side arm so how 'bout a Jango side arm? #42

You guys do realize that both of Jangos blasters were lost in episode 2 right?.... The first was lost during the fight with Obi-Wan on Kamino...Jango get it knocked out of his hand and the second was lost during the fight with Mace Windu, Mace slices the barrel off before cutting Jango's head off... ive noticed these things all 4 times i saw it
    Aug 17, 2002, 12:57 AM - Merged: Re: No luck with the ESB side arm so how 'bout a Jango side arm? #43

There probably was one in the glove compartment in Slave 1.

Aug 17, 2002, 7:16 AM - Merged: Re: No luck with the ESB side arm so how 'bout a Jango side arm? #44

As far as a stock goes, the only gun with a stock that I've seen, other than his EE-3, is that weird-looking pre-pro gun.

I've seen a picture of him with what appears to be a pistol with a rectangular butt/grip in a holster behind his right hip bag. It appears to hang from his utility belt along with his hip bags. Of course, now that I need that picture as a reference to make my holster, I can't find it. Anyone else have it?

As for Jango's guns getting destroyed, I find it hard to believe that Jango only owned *2* firearms. hehe
  20. Member Since
    Jul 2002
    Aug 18, 2002, 12:47 AM - Merged: Re: No luck with the ESB side arm so how 'bout a Jango side arm? #45

I find that hard to belive to, but why else would he only have one during the Geonosis battle?
    Aug 18, 2002, 1:07 PM - Merged: Re: No luck with the ESB side arm so how 'bout a Jango side arm? #46

That's not what I'm saying. Re-read my post.

I'm not saying that he had *both* of his guns during the arena battle, nor am I saying that he didn't lose one to Obi-Wan.

What I *am* saying, is that I doubt Jango, being the type of guy that he is, would only own *2* firearms. Sure, he has his gauntlets, his jet pack, and his knees, all of which offer him offensive capabilities, but they're just not the same as having "a trusty blaster at your side"...

You know that he had to have one or two (or maybe more) squirreled away someplace in case he needed a fallback, or for a "rainy day" situation. And yeah, he could have even stashed one on Slave I in case one (or both) were destroyed during an off-world adventure and he needed to re-arm himself. I guess I could say that Boba's sidearm is an "extra" Westar that he discovered onboard Slave I or something. I just finished sewing up my holster, so it's too late to turn back now!

Thousands of possibilites exist, and I'm running with them!

And what IS it with all of these Jedi cutting off the barrels of Fett family guns?!? What's up with that? Hindsight being 20/20, if Boba saw Mace cut Jango's Westar in half, he SHOULD have been expecting it when Luke chopped his own EE-3 in ROTJ...

22. Member Since
    Jul 2002
    Aug 26, 2002, 10:42 PM - Merged: Re: No luck with the ESB side arm so how 'bout a Jango side arm? #47

Those pics look really cool. Nice job.
    Aug 26, 2002, 11:12 PM - Merged: Re: No luck with the ESB side arm so how 'bout a Jango side arm? #48

Thanks for the compliment!

I did it mostly as an experiment to see if I COULD do it, but also to hopefully show others that with a little imagination and a few dollars, you can make something to be proud of.
  24. Member Since
    Jul 2002
    Aug 27, 2002, 4:56 PM - Merged: Re: No luck with the ESB side arm so how 'bout a Jango side arm? #49

This looks great! That was a VERY creative idea.

Your talent amazes me.
    Aug 27, 2002, 11:27 PM - Merged: Re: No luck with the ESB side arm so how 'bout a Jango side arm? #50

Thanks for the compliment. :o

I'm almost tempted to post the new pics of my EE-3 repaint.