Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Subscribe
    Aug 9, 2002, 7:08 PM - Merged: Re: Attaching thruster cones to the balls? How do you do it? #26

JB Weld or JB Quick.
  2. Member Since
    Jun 2002
    Aug 9, 2002, 7:16 PM - Merged: Re: Attaching thruster cones to the balls? How do you do it? #27

Thanks. Sounds too easy, though. I was going to try drilling into the ball a bit, too, to insert part of the cone. I want this thing to be relatively stable.
    Aug 9, 2002, 7:36 PM - Merged: Re: Attaching thruster cones to the balls? How do you do it? #28

Run some wood screws into the ball inside the cone before you JB Weld, That will give the JBW something to "grab".
  4. Member Since
    Jun 2002
    Aug 9, 2002, 8:12 PM - Merged: Re: Attaching thruster cones to the balls? How do you do it? #29

what did you guys use for the balls?i have my nozzles but im having trouble finding something for the balls.i was going to use a x-mas decoration ball BUT i only had the glass ones laying around the house.they were the perfect size too,if only they were plastic.
    Aug 9, 2002, 8:58 PM - Merged: Re: Attaching thruster cones to the balls? How do you do it? #30

At Michael's, I found some hard paper-covered foam spheres, in the perfect size, strong, and very lightweight.
  6. Member Since
    Apr 2002
    Aug 9, 2002, 10:20 PM - Merged: Re: Attaching thruster cones to the balls? How do you do it? #31

one word

GOOP!

PapaBear
  7. Member Since
    Jun 2002
    Aug 9, 2002, 11:10 PM - Merged: Re: Attaching thruster cones to the balls? How do you do it? #32

Boba Freekk wrote:what did you guys use for the balls?i have my nozzles but im having trouble finding something for the balls.i was going to use a x-mas decoration ball BUT i only had the glass ones laying around the house.they were the perfect size too,if only they were plastic.
    I'm using wooden balls I found at Hobby Lobby. They're still pretty light, but should hold up better than thin plastic or paper mache.
  8. Member Since
    Jun 2002
    Aug 10, 2002, 7:04 PM - Merged: Re: Attaching thruster cones to the balls? How do you do it? #33

wooden balls sound like a GREAT idea.ill be able to screw my nozzles right in along with some expoxy.only one thing...when you paint them wouldnt the woodgrain texture show?i really want to use the wooden balls but that is the only thing that is holding me back.i dont want it to look like painted wood.thanks.
  9. Member Since
    Jun 2002
    Aug 10, 2002, 9:15 PM - Merged: Re: Attaching thruster cones to the balls? How do you do it? #34

As long as you use a good primer, the wood grain won't show throw. Do two or three good coats of primer, sanding well between each coat, of course.
  10. Member Since
    Jun 2002
    Aug 11, 2002, 3:49 PM - Merged: Re: Attaching thruster cones to the balls? How do you do it? #35

thanks propreplicator!!!the wooden balls sound like the most durable idea yet.with the plastic there just doesnt seem like there much of a glueing surface.im going this afternoon and look for some wooden ones.

i swear, sometimes finding just the right parts can be soooo time consuming, but its a great feeling when you do.
    Aug 11, 2002, 11:36 PM - Merged: Re: Attaching thruster cones to the balls? How do you do it? #36

These questiones seem better left for a Dr. to answer "Now turn your head and COUGH!"
  12. Member Since
    Jun 2002
    Aug 12, 2002, 10:24 PM - Merged: Re: Attaching thruster cones to the balls? How do you do it? #37

LOL!!!
    Sep 18, 2002, 11:35 PM - Merged: Jetpack thruster nozzle color... #38

O.K. maybe I'm color blind but I'm having a Hell of a time figuring out exactly what color they are! I'm looking at the pictures from MoM and they look like they are an olive drab sort of greyish color...any clues? What paints did people use? I'm trying to paint mine and I'm at a loss.

PLEASE HELP!!!!! If you have the exact paint brand and color you used that would be a HUGE help to me!

Thanks!

Bob-A-Fett
    BH-1171
  14. Member Since
    Jun 2002
    Sep 18, 2002, 11:44 PM - Merged: Re: Jetpack thruster nozzle color... #39

i wish i knew.they in ESB it looks like they match the jet pack but in ROTJ it looks like a silver metallic.
    Sep 19, 2002, 9:08 AM - Merged: Re: Jetpack thruster nozzle color... #40

Could anyone that's painted their own please help me out? PLEASE? I really would like to work on these tonight and can't until I get the color right. HELP!
  16. Member Since
    May 2002
    Sep 19, 2002, 11:53 AM - Merged: Re: Jetpack thruster nozzle color... #41

O.K.
    What I did was,Paint them white.Then from about 3 feet away
    dusted them with silver or chrome.Then A light dusting of black to give them the charred look.I don't have pics to post
    but they look pretty damn close.Good Luck.
    Sep 19, 2002, 11:58 AM - Merged: Re: Jetpack thruster nozzle color... #42

This is what I was thinking too and Dean O confirmed that BUT...why do they look almost olive drab or gray in the pictures from the Magic of Myth exibit from the CD? I'm confused. Is it just that they are SO DIRTY they look that way?

Thanks for your help!
    Sep 19, 2002, 3:40 PM - Merged: Re: Jetpack thruster nozzle color... #43

this is all very interesting.

personally i took the dirty white approach as described above.

can someone post some pics of this?
    Sep 19, 2002, 4:04 PM - Merged: Re: Jetpack thruster nozzle color... #44

Are we talking ESB or ROTJ? For mr ROTJ jet pack, I went with an off white paint so my whites would look older. It was Almond by Rustoleum. That part is the most weathered part of the pack with a lot of grey, and black misting, and chrome chipping of course.

Here you can see the difference in the colors.
    Sep 19, 2002, 4:29 PM - Merged: Re: Jetpack thruster nozzle color... #45

on the ROTJ pack they are definately some sort of metallic color from what i can see.

on the ESB pack they are the same color as the rest of the pack.
  21. Member Since
    Jun 2002
    Sep 19, 2002, 5:52 PM - Merged: Re: Jetpack thruster nozzle color... #46

BOBA PHAT wrote:Are we talking ESB or ROTJ? For mr ROTJ jet pack, I went with an off white paint so my whites would look older. It was Almond by Rustoleum. That part is the most weathered part of the pack with a lot of grey, and black misting, and chrome chipping of course.

Here you can see the difference in the colors.
    is that a scratchbuilt "pack"?

if so it s look great!
    Sep 19, 2002, 6:05 PM - Merged: Re: Jetpack thruster nozzle color... #47

Scratch built and heavy as hell!!!! It took about six months from start to finish, but was well worth it. Check out my jet pack from all angles here: http://imageevent.com/mojoday/phatsfett
    Sep 19, 2002, 6:19 PM - Merged: Re: Jetpack thruster nozzle color... #48

Great pack! Looks awesome!

As for the thrusters, I started painting them the weathered white like everyone else. Thanks for the advice!
    Sep 19, 2002, 7:05 PM - Merged: Re: Jetpack thruster nozzle color... #49

Super Jet Pack man!

Hey...I noticed something that struck me as pretty damn funny.
    In you #27 picture of the top of the rocket I noticed that it looks
    like you painted a very subtle image of santa clause with sunglasses
    on. Mind you, I'm coming off a long day at work with only three and
    a half hours of sleep before that...so it's a good bet that I'm seeing
    things.

Still pretty funny, though.
  25. Member Since
    Mar 2002
    Sep 19, 2002, 7:39 PM - Merged: Re: Jetpack thruster nozzle color... #50

I saw that too. I like it. Nice pack too.