Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Official Jet Pack Harness

Migrate from As You Wish

Merged: Re: A harness to jetpack DIAGRAM. FINALLY!!

mcabrera1275.... That is the exact same harness system I have and it works 1000% It is the system that came with my RA pack.

The whole system consists of nothing more than a work web belt, 1" web straps, 2 X 1" plastic click clips, asstorted hardware to hold web straps and cuboard handle to the web belt, a cuboard handle, and some sheet metal.

The straps so go under the arms and over the shoulders, but criss cross them over the chest when you do so, this helps disperse (sp?) the weight of the pack on your shoulders.

Lynn

Migrate from As You Wish

Hey Lynn,
    If you have any pictures of your harness set-up, I'd really be interested in seeing them. The criss-cross idea seems interesting.

Migrate from As You Wish

Here you go... This is the exact system depicted in use in the drawing above.

HTH,
    Lynn

Migrate from As You Wish

Great Pics Lynn!! Did that harness come extra? Or with the price of the pack? Once again, thanks for the pics.

Migrate from As You Wish

Wouldn't it be a heck of alot easier to just sew the clips to the back of your vest, feed them through the backplate, and maybe put some elcro between the backplate and the jet pack? You could almost do it yourself that way as well.

Migrate from As You Wish

The weight of the jet pack would be way too much weight for the vest to hold it. You gotta have something that is gonna hold up a 10-15lb pack. Don't even think about velcro to hold a heavy pack, your just asking for trouble. LisaFett holds hers on with vlecro, but hers is only about 3lbs. a 10+ lb. pack is much different.
    Lynn

Migrate from As You Wish

I was wondering if backpack clasps (snaps) would work in holding the jet pack to the harness. I really want to use snaps than hooks..and I was wondering if the snaps would be able to hold a 10lb pack. I would think it would since my backpack for school is sometimes pretty heavy.

What do you think? Thanks.

Migrate from As You Wish

Personally I plan to use the metal hooks as've been shown here recently. When it comes to a 10-pound, $100-$250+ piece of art strapped to my back I don't feel comfortable with plastic

I think the bottom line for me is that when you're in that costume you can't see everything going on around you. When you're (most of us) taking and posing for pics with people they get so close you can't even see them because your blind spots are so big. It only takes one a$$hole to get right in there and unsnap the damn thing... I imagine even one side unsnapped could potentially cause some serious problems.

something more the design of the mom fett picture would be better I should think. First it's metal and substantially stronger. And second, anyone screwing with it will have to lift those ten pounds up or pull your strap down, either way the physical alarms would immediately go off as someone is molesting you back there. With the plastic one it just takes a pinch...

That's my take on it. My primary concern, having wandered the vegas strip frequently, would not be point-stress or stability, but rather the one idiot that thinks it'll be fun to screw with you!

It just depends on where you'll be taking it. When you think crowds, think fool-proof.

And when you think of garbage, think of Akeem...

Hope this helps,
    Phil

Migrate from As You Wish

I agree w/ Journeyman, except does anyone know where to buy those hook things??

Migrate from As You Wish

thats what are wranglers are for and so far till I started Jango I did a pretty good job and keeping jerks off of you NCG guys.

Bear

Migrate from As You Wish

True enough

I've yet to be seriously molested (at least unwillingly
    while trooping with the NCG.

Phil

Migrate from As You Wish

I haven't had a problem but the other Fett in the NEG did. He was at a movie theater opening weekend when some teenaged punks came up behind him and pushed down on his jet pack almost dragging him to the ground! Come to find out, they also stuck gum onto his helmet. Jerks!

Migrate from As You Wish

My take on the metal hook things.......
    Personaly, I have been costuming with my Fett suit for over three years now and I hate the metal hook things as I have had them on my first pack and they have failed on me, NEVER AGAIN!

I don't trust them to fold as I have had one come undone when the pack lifted up when I sat down and I never knew it until I went to stand up and 13lbs of pack went winging off to one side. Thank god my spotter was right there saw it and she caught my pack before it hit a wall.

That is why I went to the plastic click clips, they are sturdyier than you think and it takes alot more to unhook them if not impossible then those metal clips. It takes alot to unhook them and even more to hook them.
    I have never had a problem again.

If you are worried about someone unhooking your pack, that is why you have spotters to watch you and protect your back on the side lines. They are there to prevent things like this.

For someone to unhook your pack with the metal hook clips all it takes is a quick up and in motion and it is off quicker then anyone can ever unhook the plastic clips.

My .02....

Migrate from As You Wish

mcabrera1275......
    Take a look at my pack harness clips on my pack in my privious post, are those the ones your talking about? They are back pack clips from a camping store and I trust them 10000% I have been using them for over almost three years and they havn't failed on me yet.
    Lynn

Migrate from As You Wish

Thanks Lynn,

I'm convinced and going to go with the backpack clips on my jet pack. I know it does take some formidable pressure to unclip those..I can't think of something else releaseing them other than someone purposely unclipping them.

I'll get mine at Joann's fabric store. Thanks again.

Migrate from As You Wish

I ordered a jet pack harness from Richie the other day. I'll post pics of the actual harness so that everyone knows exactly how this contraption really works. I'm hard at work on assembling my jet pack together, so hopefully when its all done, I'll show detailed pics of how the whole thing attaches from harness through backplate to jet pack.

Migrate from As You Wish

You'll like RA's harness! The pics I posted in this thread is an actuall RA harness and how it is set up, just not with all the armor and vest, and is more than likely what you'll get unless he has changed it's design since I got mine last Dec.
    I love it, although I need to add some padding to the shoulder straps as I found out after wearing it for a couple hrs. they dug into my shouldes pretty good.

Migrate from As You Wish

I think it will take more than a pinch to release the plastic clips. Just because its plastic doesn't mean they're not durable. I will tie a 10lb weight to the clips and see if I can dislodge or unclasp them in any slight way other than the real way of unbuckling them. An experiment worth taking.

Migrate from As You Wish

Looks to be MOM.

Migrate from As You Wish

mcabrera1275 wrote:Is that pic from the MoM exhibit or from your own costume?
    From the MotM exhibit. (came from the Boba Fett ref CD Braks compiled and did a CD tree thing)

From
    Detroit, MI

Merged: Re: Best place to buy a harness????

My local army surplus store has about 6 of em in stock. I tried one on. Even though its a metal frame it still hugs your back. Quite comfortable.

Tabomabi wrote:My local army surplus store has about 6 of em in stock. I tried one on. Even though its a metal frame it still hugs your back. Quite comfortable.
    How much do they go for? What is the name of the store?
    Thanks

TK-1889

Brasstony

It is called a field radio harness sold at most local army surplus stores. I got mine yestarday for $19. The metal posts are easily removed with a Dremel.

From
    Huntsville, AL, USA

I found this one online, but it's $35.

From
    Detroit, MI

Brasstony is about right. I tried one on the last time i was there, but it looked nothing like the one fetthunter found though, it was just a metal frame with straps, not padding.