Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Subscribe
    Oct 1, 2011, 6:25 AM - Re: NEW WAY TO DIE GIRTH BELTS!!! #126

Something I've wondered: would a sinch strap for a kids saddle work for a good sash? Its cotton & has buckles on both ends.
  2. Member Since
    Sep 2009
    Oct 30, 2011, 1:40 PM - Re: NEW WAY TO DIE GIRTH BELTS!!! #127

Definitely going to try this out, ordered the belt and I'll pickup the stain this week. The leather belt pieces on the end, is that easy to find? or did you make those yourself?
  3. Member Since
    Nov 2011
    Nov 9, 2011, 12:20 PM - Re: NEW WAY TO DIE GIRTH BELTS!!! #128

Speaking of dyeing soft parts, anyone know how to remove color from a Nomex Flight Suit and/or dye it?
    Nov 9, 2011, 12:24 PM - Re: NEW WAY TO DIE GIRTH BELTS!!! #129

Quote JRTyner said: View Post
    Speaking of dyeing soft parts, anyone know how to remove color from a Nomex Flight Suit and/or dye it?
    Nomex will be tough. If it were cotton, a hot wash cycle with a cup of bleach would probably do it. But Nomex is synthetic, so....
  5. Member Since
    Nov 2011
    Nov 9, 2011, 12:39 PM - Re: NEW WAY TO DIE GIRTH BELTS!!! #130

Quote Madmartigan said: View Post
    Nomex will be tough. If it were cotton, a hot wash cycle with a cup of bleach would probably do it. But Nomex is synthetic, so....
    Yeah, but if anyone has any ideas, I am open.
  6. Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Nov 9, 2011, 11:15 PM - Re: NEW WAY TO DIE GIRTH BELTS!!! #131

THanks so much. Did my belt using this method. Looks great.
    Nov 11, 2011, 8:30 PM - Re: NEW WAY TO DIE GIRTH BELTS!!! #132

funny I did that ten years ago..I used a bucket. And the drying is key.
    my dad use to stain "recolor" coaches and chairs.
    nice work
    Dec 13, 2011, 11:56 AM - Re: NEW WAY TO DIE GIRTH BELTS!!! #133

Just bought myself some 1" webbing and a white girth belt for my ESB Fett. Can someone help me out as I'm in the UK and a lot of the colours you guys seem to be using are from Walmart etc. I don't have access to any of that. :'(

Has any UK Fetts done this method and what colour did you use? Cheers.
    Jan 3, 2012, 9:51 AM - Re: NEW WAY TO DIE GIRTH BELTS!!! #134

Really struggling to find Latex Wood Stain in the UK. Nobody seems to have ever heard of it! Any assistance?
  10. Member Since
    Feb 2012
    Feb 5, 2012, 10:30 PM - Re: NEW WAY TO DIE GIRTH BELTS!!! #135

Nice process! I will give it a go for sure.
    Mar 14, 2012, 5:04 AM - Re: NEW WAY TO DIE GIRTH BELTS!!! #136

Where can i actually get the stain? I have been to Menards and The Home Depot and they didn't think latex stain existed. they pointed me to water based, but I didn't buy it. So, the question is, where can I buy it, what brands are making it, and what color is good for PP2 (or ESB as they are the same brown color). Thanks in advance to whoever can help me out.
    Mar 14, 2012, 9:24 AM - Re: NEW WAY TO DIE GIRTH BELTS!!! #137

Very nice. Thanks for sharing! I will be sure to try this on my build.
  13. Member Since
    Feb 2012
    Apr 4, 2012, 8:02 PM - Re: NEW WAY TO DIE GIRTH BELTS!!! #138

Quote BedlamX said: View Post
    OK...so way late here, but...

I have used Duplicolor Upholstery and Vinyl coating for a ton of stuff (usually just on vinyl). I wound up giving it a shot on my girth belt and it worked pretty good. Not a lot of colors to choose from, though. To get the dark, blood red color I wanted, I had to saturate the thing (used almost an entire can) in dark red and then mist on charcoal grey. Not exactly what I wanted (and the belt is a bit too small for my gut), so I'll probably replace it and do the stain method. It looks to give a much better coverage and probably has lots of color choices.
    I just did the exact same thing, already had a can of Duplicolor Burgundy so I gave it a try, and agree is not the best, but works fine, I also used the whole can and still I can see some white spots, the question is, if I wanna stain it can I just directly stain it in a similar color or do I need to take the color out with bleach or some other chemical? I'm leaning towards just dip it in stain and see how it comes out, I have another girth on its way so I will experiment with this one and share whatever is I learn from.... any comments are appreciated...
  14. Member Since
    Apr 2012
    Apr 18, 2012, 4:43 AM - Re: NEW WAY TO DIE GIRTH BELTS!!! #139

No big deal I have a coup

15. Member Since
    Jun 2012
    Aug 23, 2012, 10:51 PM - Re: NEW WAY TO DIE GIRTH BELTS!!! #140

Quote Vable Boba said: View Post
    Where can i actually get the stain? I have been to Menards and The Home Depot and they didn't think latex stain existed. they pointed me to water based, but I didn't buy it.
    Water-based is the latex stuff. Via Wikipedia: "Synthetic latexes are used in coatings (e.g. latex paint) and glues because they solidify by coalescence of the polymer particles as the water evaporates, and therefore can form films without releasing potentially toxic organic solvents in the environment."

However, I discovered on my last trip to Lowe's that the folks who work in paint sections don't always know oil-based from water-based. I dyed my girth with a 50-50 mixture of two colors of Rust-Oleum "Ultimate Wood Stain" (Black Cherry for sure, and either Light Walnut or Paprika). I first soaked the girth in the whole 8oz can of Black Cherry and let it dry overnight. That turned it a disturbing purple color; fortunately, even 8oz was not enough to completely saturate the belt, leaving the pigment pretty light. I then repeated the process with the other color, which had much more of an orange tinge - I'm going for the dark reddish-brown ESB girth color, so I needed to offset the blue of the Black Cherry. The result is a color that I'm pretty happy with, except that the way I hung the belt to dry left one end of the belt more blue-ish, and the other more orange. It's not that noticeable - I can post pictures later.

The big shock was in learning this stuff is not water-based at all, despite me confirming with the guy behind the counter to be sure before buying. I should have known that any paint/stain claiming to dry more quickly is probably based on an organic solvent. Still, though clean-up was a little bit more of a hassle, the only downside is that the belt is somewhat stiff. I don't expect it to be a problem, but I would warn anyone to double- or triple-check before leaving the store.
  16. Member Since
    May 2012
    Sep 1, 2012, 9:36 AM - Re: NEW WAY TO DYE GIRTH BELTS!!! #141

This method works great and found you can tweak shade by just re-dying to add more or less red. I used min wax spice then china red finally used fruit punch with splash of spice fully drying between each application before finding color I liked most which was rusty red. Thanks for posting info on this process.
    Sep 21, 2012, 1:28 AM - Re: NEW WAY TO DYE GIRTH BELTS!!! #142

Quote Freeman said: View Post
    This method works great and found you can tweak shade by just re-dying to add more or less red. I used min wax spice then china red finally used fruit punch with splash of spice fully drying between each application before finding color I liked most which was rusty red. Thanks for posting info on this process.
    Brilliant method, whistle8mp! Freeman, this is going to be my project over the weekend. Thanks for your tip too. Do you think I can jump right to the rusty red - or should I make a chinese fruity spice belt first? Do the previous colors contribute to the final shade or does rusty cover them all up?
  18. Member Since
    May 2012
    Sep 21, 2012, 5:14 AM - Re: NEW WAY TO DYE GIRTH BELTS!!! #143

Quote ymisopoor said: View Post
    Brilliant method, whistle8mp! Freeman, this is going to be my project over the weekend. Thanks for your tip too. Do you think I can jump right to the rusty red - or should I make a chinese fruity spice belt first? Do the previous colors contribute to the final shade or does rusty cover them all up?
    If I had to do a new one again I would probably mix 2 parts spice with 1 part fruit punch. Really hard to say and matter of personal choice. Good news as noted by my trial and error you can actually re-dye within these colors to tweak to desired shade. Just to clarify in case any confusion there is no color actually known as "rusty red"...that is just what I called the end color after having to dye one color and re-dye using a second then re-dying 3rd time using spice mixed with fruit punch finally creating the color I wanted. I think I would have been close from the start if I had just mixed a little fruit punch with spice. They can probably do this for you at some place like Lowe's or Home Depot. If not I just poured into pan and mixed which I might recommend anyway in case you want to re-dye adding more red from the fruit punch or earth tone of the spice.
    Last edited by Freeman; Sep 21, 2012 at 7:51 PM. Reason: Clarification
  19. Member Since
    May 2012
    Sep 21, 2012, 5:28 AM - Re: NEW WAY TO DIE GIRTH BELTS!!! #144

Pics added though red that shows up in photos looks like it has been dragged through dust in person...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	belt (1).JPG 
Views:	189 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	63865   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	belt (2).JPG 
Views:	199 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	63866  
    Last edited by Freeman; Sep 21, 2012 at 5:31 AM. Reason: typo
    Oct 10, 2012, 12:25 PM - Re: NEW WAY TO DIE GIRTH BELTS!!! #145

Thanks to everyone for the tips. I did this a couple weekends ago and it worked perfectly.
    The hardware store near my house didn't carry Minwax, so I used Olympic brand solid exterior latex stain. I ended up buying one quart of 'Copper Henna' and one quart of 'New Pilgrim Red.' Equal parts of each gave me the color I was looking for.
    One caveat Whistle8mp is right about being gentle. My belt got a little frayed just from me working the stain into the belt with my fingers.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Frayed-Girth-Belt.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	976.4 KB 
ID:	64293Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Girth-Belt-Color.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	843.5 KB 
ID:	64294
    Nov 24, 2012, 12:50 PM - Re: NEW WAY TO DYE GIRTH BELTS!!! #146

Hello, where did you get the girth belt from?
  22. Member Since
    Oct 2012
    Jan 6, 2013, 8:59 AM - Re: NEW WAY TO DIE GIRTH BELTS!!! #147

Quote butterbean said: View Post
    DIE GIRTHBELT DIE!!!
    I smiled.
  23. Member Since
    Mar 2013
    Mar 22, 2013, 10:26 PM - Re: NEW WAY TO DIE GIRTH BELTS!!! #148

hi im new to building a fett costume it seems so hard or very exspensive to get a mohair girth shiped to the uk i was quoted $100.00 plus tax and then the cost of the girth, so after looking on line mainly u tube.ive decided to string and weave my own ,but my problem is i can only get soft cotton rope will this take the wood dyes mentiond,and should there be a certain width to the rope strands, i:e 6mm or more if anyone can help much appreciated
    Apr 2, 2013, 10:15 AM - Re: NEW WAY TO DIE GIRTH BELTS!!! #149

For those in the UK who can't get any of the colours or brands described over here, I've just done my ROTJ belt in cuprinol garden shades rich berry and have had some pretty good results.
  25. Member Since
    Apr 2013
    May 6, 2013, 5:27 PM - Re: NEW WAY TO DIE GIRTH BELTS!!! #150

Nice pics goi g to need to make a list of items I need a d start trimming ,sanding, and hunting for things