Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

NEW V2 SCREEN ACCURATE FETT HARNESS sign up list!

Re: NEW V2 SCREEN ACCURATE FETT HARNESS sign up list!

It's good to see you guys are taking into account two of the more intimate details / differences of the harness set-ups...

1. The color of the two back jet pack straps I thought was always an interesting debate, are they the "BLACK" seat belt webbing like the rest of the straps on the harness and weathered to a gray-ish tone or are they the same "WHITE" weave strapping that you see on the PRE-PRO / ROTJ jet pack straps and weathered to a gray-ish tone???

2. The direction of the rounded portion of the belt buckle is flopped on the PP2 / ESB set-up as opposed to the MOM / ROTJ set-up.

Very Cool!

Last edited by Galactic Bounty Hunter; Feb 25, 2010 at 1:03 AM. Reason: Spelling

Thanks!
    We'll take all the help we can get and I'm glad to see that people are still interested in these research oriented matters.

Q #1
    The straps sewn to the black harness straps (which I am calling the pack straps since they connect to the pack) are actually a grey colored webbing.
    I am confident that is their natural color without any weathering.

Q #2
    Yep, you are right. The buckle is reversible so you can feed the webbing through either side. I'm sure the LFL costuming people didn't pay very close attention to the orientation of the buckle.
    I don't think it was even really ever supposed to be seen as part of the costume. Just solely a functional piece that would occasionally slip out from underneath the vest.

Peregrinus has just directed me to some pics that has even further fleshed out this quest to nail down the harness strapping.
    Thanks Peregrinus!
    I'll update the list accordingly.

Looks like rivets are confirmed on the PP2 and ESB pack straps.
    And it looks like the shot of ROTJ Fett on the skiff does not have rivets, but what I think is a promo shot of the ROTJ Fett showing him having rivets.
    If I were doing a ROTJ Fett, I would go with what is confirmed on screen, and that would be no rivets.

Here are the pics:

From
    UK

Galactic Bounty Hunter said: View Post
    It's good to see you guys are taking into account two of the more intimate details / differences of the harness set-ups...
    Glad ya like the efforts bro...

- list updated.

Gino said: View Post
    Peregrinus has just directed me to some pics that has even further fleshed out this quest to nail down the harness strapping.
    Thanks Peregrinus!
    I'll update the list accordingly.

Looks like rivets are confirmed on the PP2 and ESB pack straps.
    And it looks like the shot of ROTJ Fett on the skiff does not have rivets, but what I think is a promo shot of the ROTJ Fett showing him having rivets.
    If I were doing a ROTJ Fett, I would go with what is confirmed on screen, and that would be no rivets.

Good Stuff, this is well worth the price.. thanks again guys for doing this.

Please add me to the list for an ESB version.

THX

From
    Japan

Rob is trying to get samples of the correct webbing for this harness but just in case they aren't what we are looking for, here are close up pics of the actual webbing with dimensions.

Whoever can find either of these would be THE MAN.

One thing that I've noticed is that sometimes manufactures can list webbing in general sizes.
    For example their 2" webbing might really be 1 7/8" when you actually measure it with a ruler.
    Other times 2" really is a true 2".
    Sometimes you just have to ask for samples and see what you get.

If anyone finds some seat belt webbing with 4 ribs per the picture anywhere near the 1 3/4" - 2" range, please let me know.
    I'll order or purchase a sample and take the risk.
    Same with the grey webbing.

Basically, if you want to do an ESB or ROTJ Fett, these are the two types of webbing we need.
    Here are the photo and dimensions:

May be a redundant question, but where was the harness made for the movie? That would help nail down what to look for.

I'm pretty confident that the actual harness was a found item, most likely used to carry some sort of oxygen tank. Myself and others have searched forever for one like it but never came very close.
    These were created in the UK and then shipped to the US.

As for trying to track down the harness strap materials, I would not look specific to country. I would just look everywhere. Wherever it is found, is the place we would be willing to buy it from.

From
    Chicago, IL

While I was working on my harness, I tried everywhere to find that strap material and still havent found anything. I found a 2 inch wide cotton webbing, then I washed a million times to get the correct width.

Here's some more images. Just to be clear, I'm not selling these. I'm just posting it for picture purposes.

http://r2ro.300dc.com/harnessforsale.htm
    Last edited by SEEKER; Feb 25, 2010 at 10:44 AM.

High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    From
    USAF Utah

I'm pretty confident that the actual harness was a found item, most likely used to carry some sort of oxygen tank. Myself and others have searched forever for one like it but never came very close.
    These were created in the UK and then shipped to the US.

As for trying to track down the harness strap materials, I would not look specific to country. I would just look everywhere. Wherever it is found, is the place we would be willing to buy it from.

How can you not be 100% confident that the Harness was a divers harness...its exactly a divers harness.

We can't say that for certain. There are other types of harness for things other than scuba tanks.
    Until we find (if we ever do) the correct model and verify it's intended purpose, it is wrong to state that as fact, regardless of how likely we personally feel it is.

Last edited by Gino; Feb 26, 2010 at 5:35 AM.

From
    Pocatello, Idaho

good stuff!
    Last edited by Mando_Pirate; Feb 26, 2010 at 1:16 AM.

How confident are we that it's some kind of SCBA/SCUBA frame? As has been said here and elsewhere, I've seen firefighters carrying versions of this to mount their air tanks for decades. What I mean is -- what else might be carried on such a contraption? Did US Diver buckles end up on non-diving hrnesses? I think it would be silly for a manufacturer to restrict who they sold their wares to just because it didn't fit their stated niche.

--Jonah

formerly old_jedi_mind_trick Bobby Fett UK's Avatar
    From
    Manchester, England

It is possible that the webbing was taken from a scuba harness and sewn to a fire fighters breathing apparatus, the size of the frame may suggest this. Or the buckle and other hardware were used with other webbing.

From
    Japan

That was my thought as well. Being a firefighter in the Navy...

I went to work today and looked at an OBA. Green, not right.. but not bad as far as material. I took a pic... It came out bad. Ill have to do it again, as it looks like the seat belt. Only this is 2 rows, not four. Not accurate, but I think a lead.

Well it's been a few days, and I'm surprised there have been no suggestions (links) for either of the two needed webbing types.
    I'm still looking but the more eyes on this the better.

I'm looking, too. I didn't want to post until I'd found something. Good news is there's a lot of resources around Seattle. I am well stocked with fabric, leather, Sintra, stainless steel, aluminum, resin, have a rapid-prototyping shop on speed-dial, ditto a fabrication shop (vac-forming and rotocasting). The down side is that there's a lot of possible sources to sift through. *chuckle*

Do we have a precise measurement for the width of the pack-attaching straps? I am currently poking at the sub-path of canvas belts...

Also, those look like hammered rivets rather than pop rivets. Yes?

--Jonah

Both Ford and GM produced seat belt straps with four ribs in the 1960's and 70's. The 1969 Mustang had it. The mustang seat belt is 1 3/4" in width. Betting the the rest of the Ford belts were, too. As well as GM. Widely available in 1978.

I am guessing seat belts went to 5 ribs for better safety design sometime in the 70's and 4 rib type is probably no longer currently manufactured anywhere. I could easily be wrong about that. I don't know for sure but seems likely. There is plenty on ebay motors, though, in the form of vintage seat belts, or you can dig it out of a junk yard, which might be what the makers of the Fett costume did. Dunno that either.

Last edited by Lufo1138; Feb 26, 2010 at 8:18 PM.

Okay, already I have to eat my words... currently manufactured 4 rib nylon strap made in china in virtually any width you want:

by Taizhou Enege Industrial Textile Co., Ltd.

http://www.ecplaza.net/tradeleads/se...bing.html#none

I don't like how this looks though. Definitely better off with a vintage seat belt strap as far as an authentic look.
    Last edited by Lufo1138; Feb 26, 2010 at 8:36 PM.

Awesome find Lufo.

I think that looks **** good.
    However, how are we supposed to order from China?
    In some cases, they will show a pic of something, but it won't be something they have on hand or in-stock. Instead it would be made to order per your specs (and a huge minimum quantity).
    Don't know if that's the case with this particular situation, but I wouldn't know how to find out.
    Anyone?

From
    Bellevue, NE

guys, I need to dig up some info I have here, but I ordered over 100yds of the correct stuff a few years back. I"ll find the info and post it for you.
    Last edited by phantomfett; Feb 26, 2010 at 9:51 PM.

From
    Bellevue, NE

The four stripe version is still used widely on aircraft seatbelts. I see them everyday at work.

Lufo1138 said: View Post
    Both Ford and GM produced seat belt straps with four ribs in the 1960's and 70's. The 1969 Mustang had it. The mustang seat belt is 1 3/4" in width. Betting the the rest of the Ford belts were, too. As well as GM. Widely available in 1978.

I am guessing seat belts went to 5 ribs for better safety design sometime in the 70's and 4 rib type is probably no longer currently manufactured anywhere. I could easily be wrong about that. I don't know for sure but seems likely. There is plenty on ebay motors, though, in the form of vintage seat belts, or you can dig it out of a junk yard, which might be what the makers of the Fett costume did. Dunno that either.

oh wait... REI has the same pic on their website... selling it as 2" wide at $2/ft:

order it here: http://www.rei.com/product/603008

they also have it in 1 1/2": http://www.rei.com/product/603009

From
    Bellevue, NE

When I got mine in 2003, it was $1.05/yd.

Both of those look so close, but they are too big.

We need 4 rib seatbelt style webbing in 1 3/4" (1.75") (44.5mm).

Last edited by Gino; Feb 26, 2010 at 10:53 PM.