Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

My scratchbuild armor first step

From
    Galati, Romania

Re: My scratchbuild armor first step

I love it! Awesome paint job, very professional.
    Just one thing to comment: you forget to do the nostrils of the bantha skull.

jajajajaja youīre right I forgot them!!!!, Iīll paint them today. Thanks.

I have painted the nostrils yet and Iīve finished the rest of the chest plates and abplate with soft weathering and turning slightly blue the right plate with the logo (I donīt know if it can be seen well enough in the picture but It looks more blue in the photo than in the reality). Iīve taken 2 pics to see the difference between blue plate under different light conditions. See you.

primeras-piezas-acabadas_b-jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails primeras-piezas-acabadas-jpg  
    Last edited by ash; Oct 25, 2011 at 12:35 PM.

From
    Galati, Romania

Awesome job so far! I can't wait to see the rest of the suit done!

From
    Darwin River Northern Territory

Ash that is an awsome what you have done, its so good I have put my jet pack to the side, and bought some PVC sheet the other day, and I am going to try do a top job like you have, the only thing I have to ask what was the overall thickness of your armor and how did you get the right shape, keep up the good work its got me inspired.
    cheers

First of all many thanks for your words RobaFett, they push me up to keep building this armor that itīs becoming nightmare to advance with it.

The material Iīve used is called Forex Print in my country (outside Spain I dont know how it is its name). I have cutted out 2 pieces of each template in this material that has 2 milimeters of thickness. I mold or bend this material with my hands till get the correct shape, then I stick the 2 pieces with cyanoacrilate resulting in one piece of 4 milimeters that at the end of the process can reach to get about 5 milimeters of final thickness (taking in count the fiberglass and the gelcoat applied).

I hope this explanation will help you, if you have any other question Iīll try to answer it the best way I can. To get the right shape just use your eye in comparisson with many many images of the films, thatīs all. Thanks and greetings.
    Last edited by ash; Nov 1, 2011 at 1:54 PM.

Hi everyone again, sorry for being out for so long but after some time (too much) without posting new images or progresses because of many things in my life, Iīm here again with some new finished, or almost finished pieces. I have to say that I didnīt think that this was so dificult to build, sometimes you almost get desperate building this armour, but it is very gratefull when you see the results.

I put you some images of my new pieces, most of them are scratchbuild but some of them are premade items like the girth belt. There are some details that I have to do to get these pieces fully finished, details like the strips used to link the girth belt in its backward part, the ammo belt, the flak vest with almost all hard pieces except the central piece yet...

The helmet, wow the helmet what a dificult piece, I have to say that it was very tricky to paint it, I hope you like it, I think it had to have some more pretty photos because of lot of work it takes to be finished.

Finally I show some photos of the progress on my scratchbuilt left gauntlet itīs not finished yet it have to be sanded and repaired again, but it is looking well for me.

Greetings to everybody after so much time.

The Girth Belt and the Ammo Belt...

The flak vest with hard pieces and without weathering...

The helmet.

And finally the progress of the left gauntlet

I hope to advance more in this building and to put you new photos as soon as possible.

Thanks and greetings from Spain...

From
    Tasmania Australia

Looking really good. I love the rust effects on the helmet and the detail so far in the gauntlet sculpt. Looking forward to seeing more.

From
    Massachusetts

Great job so far ash! Love seeing these scratch built pieces, really says something about your commitment to this passion. But once your bit by the Fett bug...... Well you know . Keep it up good luck the rest of the way!

ikinaceous said: View Post
    Looking really good. I love the rust effects on the helmet and the detail so far in the gauntlet sculpt. Looking forward to seeing more.
    Got2bfett said: View Post
    Great job so far ash! Love seeing these scratch built pieces, really says something about your commitment to this passion. But once your bit by the Fett bug...... Well you know . Keep it up good luck the rest of the way!
    Thank you both for the good comments, Iīll hope to post new pics as soon as Iīve finished them, maybe this next week I can post more images, thanks again and greetings from Spain.

Hi all again, Iīm advancing in miy armor building, here are some pics, I hope you like them...

Left gauntlet building process...

The green color is because I ran out of grey primer..., sorry... Iīt will be grey in later pics...

Hinges set up...

And almost finished with little errors to solve... now with grey primer...

I have to put a little piece in one of the sides, but it is almost completed except the flamethrower part, the dental xpander and the keypad....

Itīs a lot of work but It goes on...

It is arduous... But you're doing extremely well.

Many thanks for the comments, after a time without showing you nothing, here I put more advances.

I couldnīt wait and I put it on just to see how it looked like and I liked it (I put a red rectangle because I have to remember taht I have to put a little plate there, but in the other side because this picture was taken in front of a mirror)

Iīve started the flamethrower part, I made the plate where the tubes are fixed with the same material that the gauntlet and I turned the largest tube in my little lathe (Iīve not any experience with lathes, this is my first attempt):

After christmas holidays Iīve started to build again, the following images are pictures of the moulds of some pieces that have to be solid enough to hold the aluminiun tubes, thatīs why I made some moulds of them and cast them in polyurethane.

I know that the turning of the tubes is not perfect but Iīm very happy with the result, remember that it is my first attempt with lathes.

The polyurethane curing:

And finally the pieces together (there is nothing stuck yet):

Finally I put you an image of the ******* dental xpander, Iīve almost got blind making it jajajajajajajajaja, it have to be refined a little more but it looks great when you put it in its gauntletīs place.

Ok, thatīs all, for the moment, sorry if Iīve bored you, I only put this kind of images in order to help anyone who decide to start with a similar project.

Many thanks and greetings to all.
    Last edited by ash; Jan 10, 2014 at 1:34 AM.

From
    Ireland

Absolutly excellent work, very cool alu parts.

Here I put some pics of the left gauntlet almost finished (Iīm waiting for the keypad and Iīm thinking how to build the missile).

Sorry for the bad background of the pics but I take them quick (the flamethorwer pieces are not stick together neither the gauntlet in order to paint them in a better way).

I have not put the dental xpander central screw becuase I donīt what to make a hole in the gauntlet yet.

The primer colour is not the same that I was using because in the store I use to buy it didnīt have it in stock and I had to bought this "cream" colour instead....

Hi everyone, here I come again with more advances, now the right gauntlet....

This is itīs look after sanding and sanding and sanding....

Here you have the pieces of the right gauntlet....

And here a test...

Hi again, Iīve been busy last weeks....

Here I put some pictures of the mold processes. I have to make molds of my pieces because the material Iīve been using is very soft and you can scratch it very easily with your nail, so think what could happen to these pieces in a mission..., thatīs why Iīve to make molds of them and fiberglass casts.

Here you have the mold process...

The accesories...

My first casts...., (this is like a given birth a baby, jajajajajajaja)

Repaired...

I hope you like them....

I forgot to put the missile mold and itīs resin cast, a friend of mine have just machined a missile for himself and he let me mold and cast it in resin because, although it is very cool, when you put it on, the entire gauntlet with aluminium flamethrower takes a very heavy weight and it is no comfortable, thatīs why I prefer the resin one to put it on, the aluminium one itīs ok to show the entire armor in the maniqui to show the final result, or in a very special moments jajajajajajaja...

Just to end (I swear ) I put some pics of the finished left gauntlet (except the three cables at the back of the flamethrower), and the up part of the right one... hope you like them.

Now with some dirt and weathering...

The right gauntlet up part...

And thatīs all for today, sorry if I have bored you but I was much time without posting tha davances and now I wanted to put all of them together.

Greetings for all from Spain...

Beautiful. I wish my scratch built gauntlets looked half as good as yours.

From
    Douglasville, Ga.

This is a beautiful (guess you can say that about Fett) costume! From the soft parts to the armor, absolutely worthy of being in a Fett shrine!
    And that helmet.... Wow that paint job looks absolutely stellar. Gotta be proud of those gauntlets too. That is an excellent job on the molds and scratch built masters.

From
    Albuquerque

Absolutely amazing! Well done all around and can't wait to see more progress!

Hi all, Iīm back with two pictures of the right gauntlet finished and the knee pads almost finished, I still have to machine the aluminium launchers on my home-mini-lathe, hope you like them...

The Knee Pads...

With the satin varnish aplied..., they have the same color but without varnish they look more orange than varnished.

See you...

The Knee pads with their launchers, I machined them yesterday in aluminium...

Now I am starting with the jetpack....

Hi everyone, here I go again with buliding process of my jetpack, this time Iīve to use 3 milimeters plastic board and this is very much more difficult and hard to cut, now I have iron fingers with this hard training, like in the old kung-fu films jajajajajajaja....

The process I have followed is the same used in my other pieces...

I hope not to result boring with so many pics...