Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Oct 15, 2011, 12:22 PM - My scratchbuild armor first step #1

Hi all, following what another member has adviced me, Ill post some of the pictures of my step by step process of scratch building the armor and parts of this amazing character in his ESB version. I have followed the incredible templates of wizardofflight. The parts showed are the two bells and the abplat. Im very impatient waiting your opinions and advices to see if Im going in the right way. I have the intention to build it according 501st parameters. Many thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	two bells.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	306.3 KB 
ID:	56362   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	two bells and abplate_1.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	264.4 KB 
ID:	56363   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	two bells and abplate_2.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	313.6 KB 
ID:	56364  

Oct 15, 2011, 1:54 PM - Re: My scratchbuild armor first step #2

I am slowly building my custom armor and I can give you one great piece of advice. Be patient, both in seeking advice and in building your armor. Not everyone checks the boards everyday and some may even miss your post all together.

As for what you have started it looks good and you have a great start.
    Last edited by ZolarKresh; Oct 15, 2011 at 1:57 PM. Reason: added more comments
  3. Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Oct 15, 2011, 2:41 PM - Re: My scratchbuild armor first step #3

Thanks ZolarKresh for your advice. Ive satrted to build my armor after almost 2 months of documentation and searching information and a huge mount of pics from the films and from the fans. These are the first pieces of my armor that are ready to paint if people of this forum give me its "bless". The other pieces are in a very early phase of construction. Ill put them as soon as possible. Thanks Ill be patient with the comments.
    Oct 15, 2011, 3:56 PM - Re: My scratchbuild armor first step #4

Looking good so far. Being an ESB Boba fan too, I will watch your build eagerly.
    Oct 15, 2011, 4:33 PM - Re: My scratchbuild armor first step #5

The thickness looks good, should turn out well when all painted up.
  6. playford is offline playford
    Oct 16, 2011, 8:55 AM - Re: My scratchbuild armor first step #6

Looks good, but why don't you say how you made it and what is is made of? Is that vacuformed, fibreglass or bent ABS? Explain how you did the dents - I always like to hear the different ways people come up with to do produce the same outcome. Are you building a helmet out of scratch as well?
  7. Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Oct 16, 2011, 9:40 AM - Re: My scratchbuild armor first step #7

Ok, Ill explain the process Im following:
    Firs of all I transfer the wizardooflight templates to the base material using an ink transferpaper (I dont know whats its name in english). The material Ive used as base material is a plastic (PVC if I remember well) named Forex Print. This is the name here in Spain, I dont know if it has the same name in another countries.
    This material is very flexible to manipulate it and has 2milimeters of thickness, that is why Ive used two layers of it to build each piece. It sticks very well itself with cyanocrilate glues as "loctite". I bend each layer manually till get the shape I want and then I stick two identical layers of that piece to get a stronger result. To make the dents an bendings I use a dremmel to make some holes and then I apply epoxi plaster of two components in order to mold and sculpt the dent. When the epoxi dries I sand the excess of product and I apply fibberglass with polyetser resin to overall pieces surface. I sand it with a rough sand paper and then I apply car plaster and sand it again with a smoother sandpaper. Finally, I apply a thick layer of gelcoat over all the surface and I sand it with a very smooth watersandpaper. The result is a thick piece with the hardness and a surface with the smoothness of a fiberglass plate of whichever motorbike or car. Here are some pics:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01_transfering the template.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	376.8 KB 
ID:	56398Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02_the tamplate transferred.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	291.0 KB 
ID:	56399Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03_bended and dented piece with epoxi plaster.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	317.9 KB 
ID:	56400Click image for larger version. 

Name:	another example of epoxi dents_1.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	813.7 KB 
ID:	56401Click image for larger version. 

Name:	another example of epoxi dents_2.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	822.2 KB 
ID:	56402Click image for larger version. 

Name:	another example of epoxi dents_3.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	321.6 KB 
ID:	56403Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04_with fiberglass and polyester resin applied.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	742.5 KB 
ID:	56404Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05_with plaster for cars applied.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	821.9 KB 
ID:	56405Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06_sanded piece (yellow parts are the plaster, the grey ones is the fiberglass).jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	866.2 KB 
ID:	56406Click image for larger version. 

Name:	07_gelcoated surface without sanding.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	301.1 KB 
ID:	56407

I bought the helmet to bobamaker in order to be secure that it fits the 501 sts parameters. The other parts Ive bought him are the jumpsuit, the flak vest, the gloves and the ankle spats, all in ESB version.
    Last edited by ash; Oct 16, 2011 at 9:55 AM.
    Oct 17, 2011, 1:22 AM - Re: My scratchbuild armor first step #8

You've done an amazing job so far and you won't be disappointed with the Bobamaker stuffs, he is one of the best craftsman around.
    Last edited by RafalFett; Oct 17, 2011 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Text corrected.
  9. playford is offline playford
    Oct 17, 2011, 9:18 AM - Re: My scratchbuild armor first step #9

Thanks showing your step-by-step process - very interesting and a little different from what I have seen. I always wondered how the dents were made, glad you gave me a solution which is pretty simple; I have been over thinking that i guess.
    Keep posting pics and good luck!
  10. Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Oct 17, 2011, 1:24 PM - Re: My scratchbuild armor first step #10

Hi all Im back with a little step forward in this building I hope youll like it. Thanks.

Name:	Chest Abplate Collar and Bells.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	313.3 KB 
ID:	56437
    Last edited by ash; Oct 17, 2011 at 1:26 PM. Reason: image upload failed
  11. Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Oct 18, 2011, 4:27 AM - Re: My scratchbuild armor first step #11

Hi, here you have some more pics, this time of the painting process. Ive started with the metallics because the idea is to mask each layer of color/material in order to recreate the natural weathering. See you.

Name:	METALIZADO HOMBRERA DERECHA.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	435.0 KB 
ID:	56459Click image for larger version. 

Name:	METALIZADO HOMBRERAS.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	587.6 KB 
ID:	56460Click image for larger version. 

Name:	METALIZADO PECHO.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	275.2 KB 
ID:	56461Click image for larger version. 

Name:	METALIZADO PLACA ABDOMINAL.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	249.2 KB 
ID:	56462
    Oct 18, 2011, 4:39 AM - Re: My scratchbuild armor first step #12

As I said before, I really like what you've done so far. I can't wait to see the next steps...
  13. Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Oct 18, 2011, 11:20 AM - Re: My scratchbuild armor first step #13

Hi here I am again with more hot pics of new steps done with this project. Here you have the process of masking the different layer colours.

Here, the masking to protect the metallic colour:

Name:	HOMBRERA DERECHA_FASE ENMASCARADO RESERVA METALES.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	562.7 KB 
ID:	56467Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HOMBRERA IZQUIERDA_FASE ENMASCARADO RESERVA METALES.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	701.1 KB 
ID:	56468Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PECHO PLACA DERECHA_FASE ENMASCARADO RESERVA METALES.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	531.0 KB 
ID:	56469Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PECHO PLACA IZQUIERDA_FASE ENMASCARADO RESERVA METALES.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	568.1 KB 
ID:	56470Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PLACA ABDOMINAL_FASE ENMASCARADO RESERVA METALES.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	250.3 KB 
ID:	56471

And here, the yellow colour layer applied:

Name:	HOMBRERA IZQUIERDA_SIN DESCONCHAR.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	426.5 KB 
ID:	56472Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PECHO PLACA IZQUIERDA_FASE AMARILLO.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	694.1 KB 
ID:	56473Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PLACA ABDOMINAL_FASE AMARILLO.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	317.7 KB 
ID:	56474

Many thanks and greetings for all.
  14. Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Oct 19, 2011, 12:18 PM - Re: My scratchbuild armor first step #14

Im back again, this time with the left shoulder bell almost finished. The only two things left are to apply satin varnish and some weathering with lighter and darker colours to make it looks closer to the film. I hope you like it.

Name:	HOMBRERA IZQUIERDA CASI TERMINADA.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	671.7 KB 
ID:	56490
  15. Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Oct 19, 2011, 1:27 PM - Re: My scratchbuild armor first step #15

Hi all again I have to say that I have the inttention of repeat all the painting process for this bell. I have followed the stencils of Rafal Fett and in the Spanish Garrison have said to me that it isnt like the film one, the scratches are very exagerated, the bell in the film is more like airbrushed dirt so... sanding timeeeeee. It has been my fault for not reviewing well the film pictures. Thanks and greetings.
    Oct 20, 2011, 1:33 AM - Re: My scratchbuild armor first step #16

Quote ash said: View Post
    Hi all again I have to say that I have the inttention of repeat all the painting process for this bell. I have followed the stencils of Rafal Fett and in the Spanish Garrison have said to me that it isnt like the film one, the scratches are very exagerated, the bell in the film is more like airbrushed dirt so... sanding timeeeeee. It has been my fault for not reviewing well the film pictures. Thanks and greetings.
    I'm sorry to hear that and maybe you could correct that shoulder bell by misting over the medium grey scratches, which is a bit too dark.

Well, the first thing when using any template is to always check out any reference material you have, because while the templates will guide you in the paint process, the hard part of the painting is on your shoulders. The stencils are often graphical representations of what the original paint scheme should look like, especially with the misted areas (most of these are present on the Sandy helmets) which is kind of hard to implement in the stencils without confusing you.
  17. Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Oct 20, 2011, 3:30 AM - Re: My scratchbuild armor first step #17

Please dont say sorry because is not your fault, its mine. I used other your templates and they were right. You made an awesome work preparing all that templates and stencils so I thank you for that. I repeat it was my fault for not reviewing with the film images. Sorry if I have offended you, and greetings.
    Oct 20, 2011, 4:01 AM - Re: My scratchbuild armor first step #18

You didn't offended me at all. I really like what you've done with your build so far and I hope you will do the same thing with the other parts and I think your suit will be excellent.
    Oct 21, 2011, 4:34 PM - Re: My scratchbuild armor first step #19

nice work.
  20. Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Oct 22, 2011, 12:21 AM - Re: My scratchbuild armor first step #20

Hi all, Im back again after correcting my shoulder bells closer to film pics, here you have 2 pics one of the right shoulder and the other one of the chest and ab plates. I have not applied satin varnish yet but Ill do. Thanks and greetings.

Name:	hombreraderechacasiterm.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	492.3 KB 
ID:	56544Click image for larger version. 

Name:	setarmadura001.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	340.8 KB 
ID:	56545
    Oct 22, 2011, 1:10 AM - Re: My scratchbuild armor first step #21

WOW! Your armor looks killer!
    I think that the right shoulder bell orange color could be a little darker, and you could mist a light brown layer over the orange (just the orange) to tone the color down.

Name:	ESB Compare.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	840.1 KB 
ID:	56546

From what I saw on all the ESB builds, yours is the closest so far to the 'real' one. I said it before, and I say it again: I really like what you've done so far. You can tell from all of your images that you put the best in your work and the attention to details is what makes your build so professional. Just keep up the excellent work and your suit will be perfect!
  22. Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Oct 22, 2011, 3:14 AM - Re: My scratchbuild armor first step #22

Wooooow thank you very much for your kindly words, they really give wings to continue building this armor with such effor. In Spanish forum of 501st (sapnish garrison) we were discussing about the shoulder bells colours, and we arrived to the following answer: the two bells have the same base colour, what it makes to look them such different is the dirt tone that covers them, the left one has grey dirt and some white gradients and the right one has brown dirt, thats the reason. I agree with you, maybe my right bell needs some more brown dirt to tone down the base colour. I repeat, thank you so much for compliments. Greetings from Spain.
    Oct 22, 2011, 4:54 AM - Re: My scratchbuild armor first step #23

The shoulder base color is not the same, because the original Boba Fett concept was that he had parts of the armor gathered from all over the universe, this is why his left shoulder, the right chest plate and the center diamond is different in colors and weathering than the rest of his armor. For other refference check out in the Gallery the Pre-Pro #1 and the Pre-Pro #3 images which are very close in paint scheme to the ESB suit.
    Oct 22, 2011, 6:48 AM - Re: My scratchbuild armor first step #24

The armour is looking great! I'm still new around here and learning a lot myself. As an artist I have a good eye for sometimes matching colors but photos and light in photos can be decieving to the eye! Good luck on matching the colors! Also might I suggest checking with the experts on here and see if you need to put any tiny scratches or rub charcoal on bells for extra weathering. Sometimes those little details just can't be seen in reference photos well. Again great work on building your armor! I wish I had the time to have done my trash can armor like you are doing.
  25. Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Oct 24, 2011, 1:03 PM - Re: My scratchbuild armor first step #25

Hi, here you have the 2 shoulder bells finished with full weathering but without varnish because theyre still wet (in the photo their colours look closer than in the reality, in the reality the left shoulder is more yellow than the right one which is more orange, light issues). I hope you like them, greetings.

Name:	LAS DOS HOMBRERAS ACABADAS.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	224.8 KB 
ID:	56641