Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My Scratch Built ROTJ Pack [pic intense]

From
    The miserable mill

Re: My Scratch Built ROTJ Pack [pic intense]

Qman101 said:
    you weren't the only one confused with WoF's templates
    I was just saying without them i'd be lost, they didn't confuse me.

It only weighs 3 lbs

-=QuinN!
    Last edited by CombatBaby; Jan 9, 2006 at 10:44 PM.

From
    Norwich UK

Hey Quinn

that jet pack is looking realy good, if mine turns out half as good i will be really happy.

well done buddy, you have real talent.

From
    California, a few hours away from San Diego

Well, i was confused at first.

From
    Parts Unknown

Yowser!!! Thats amazing...kind a makes me feel cheated paying a couple hundred for a fiberglass that weighs 15 pounds. Great work.

From

anything new? just wondering.

i also noticed u for got the strip where the piano keys are placed.are u gonna put that after u find some good piano keys?

From
    The miserable mill

Qman101 said:
    anything new? just wondering.

i also noticed u for got the strip where the piano keys are placed.are u gonna put that after u find some good piano keys?

a few things, but i didn't post any of the pictures yet.

your question is covered in my post on the 7th of january above,
    just didn't add them yet

-=QuinN!

From
    U.S. California

Wow, this looks really good. I know you answered a very similar question above, ( i read the whole thing) , but you used Styrene plastic for the entire thing? (minus the pvc pipes and oatmeal can). Thanks, and BTW, it looks GREAT so far, i am looking forward toseeing the final product.

I helped at SDCC '08 MandalorFett's Avatar
    From
    California USA

I agree the JP looks great! You're inspiring me to try it too.

From
    The miserable mill

cookiemongoloid said:
    Wow, this looks really good. I know you answered a very similar question above, ( i read the whole thing) , but you used Styrene plastic for the entire thing? (minus the pvc pipes and oatmeal can). Thanks, and BTW, it looks GREAT so far, i am looking forward toseeing the final product.

When I finish this prototype I will be making a revised Mark II from which I plan to make a mold. I will also be providing an extensive list of found parts and materials used list, along with where the materials can be store bought or ordered online. I'm not into the whole "hide" information from newbies garbage that certain members on this board are holding ideals towards. I myself would lost without this place, and it'd be a real kick in the face to people like Alan who are providing free blueprints or others that have compiled extensive paint lists and tutorials.

To answer your concerns above it breaks down like this.

Base skeleton (backplate, bottom, top flat) of the pack are all 1/4 inch foamboard. I did this to provide a strong basic structure to build onto.

The main tank is as you noticed above an oatmeal container and another chunk of an oatmeal container bonded together.

I traced a circle onto the top of that container and cut a hole in the TOP FLAT foamboard piece with the rocket base tank containers circumference. I then used a bushes baked beans aluminum container as the second tank and adjusted it to be the correct height with the excess length just being hidden inside the lower tank.

From here on i started to fill the gaps between the backplate and the main tank with foam, you can use any light weight filler, whether it be insulation or gardening block foam.

Once you get stuff built up enough to not have any flimsy feel you can start cutting the styrene and constructing what will be the outer shell.

So most things lined up correctly I scored most of the edges of the styrene on any part where the plating bends, such as around the jet pack side tank housings. I also found I was using a lot less filler since the pieces of styrene were still barely connected.

I dunno how well you follow all that, but it will all make sense when I do a Mark II and take pictures at every single step.

But like i said, once I got a basic structure, it was mostly styrene from there on.

Along the way I have learned quite a bit from trial and error on what won't work and what will, so I will be using a few different materials the second time around. Plus I will be constructing the Mark II with the plan of having a mostly hollow inside so that any gizmos that I want to rig up will have space and be easily accessible. If I end up molding it, it will be hollow anyway, i'm just talking about the prototypes right now.

If you have more questions just post.

thanks for the kind words

-=QuinN!

From

CombatBaby said:
    When I finish this prototype I will be making a revised Mark II from which I plan to make a mold. I will also be providing an extensive list of found parts and materials used list, along with where the materials can be store bought or ordered online. I'm not into the whole "hide" information from newbies garbage that certain members on this board are holding ideals towards. I myself would lost without this place, and it'd be a real kick in the face to people like Alan who are providing free blueprints or others that have compiled extensive paint lists and tutorials.

To answer your concerns above it breaks down like this.

Base skeleton (backplate, bottom, top flat) of the pack are all 1/4 inch foamboard. I did this to provide a strong basic structure to build onto.

The main tank is as you noticed above an oatmeal container and another chunk of an oatmeal container bonded together.

I traced a circle onto the top of that container and cut a hole in the TOP FLAT foamboard piece with the rocket base tank containers circumference. I then used a bushes baked beans aluminum container as the second tank and adjusted it to be the correct height with the excess length just being hidden inside the lower tank.

From here on i started to fill the gaps between the backplate and the main tank with foam, you can use any light weight filler, whether it be insulation or gardening block foam.

Once you get stuff built up enough to not have any flimsy feel you can start cutting the styrene and constructing what will be the outer shell.

So most things lined up correctly I scored most of the edges of the styrene on any part where the plating bends, such as around the jet pack side tank housings. I also found I was using a lot less filler since the pieces of styrene were still barely connected.

I dunno how well you follow all that, but it will all make sense when I do a Mark II and take pictures at every single step.

But like i said, once I got a basic structure, it was mostly styrene from there on.

Along the way I have learned quite a bit from trial and error on what won't work and what will, so I will be using a few different materials the second time around. Plus I will be constructing the Mark II with the plan of having a mostly hollow inside so that any gizmos that I want to rig up will have space and be easily accessible. If I end up molding it, it will be hollow anyway, i'm just talking about the prototypes right now.

If you have more questions just post.

thanks for the kind words

-=QuinN!
    i have several questions.

1. is styrene like the "for sale" signs? not the cheap ones where u can simply rip them in 2.

2. Can u give me info for some good light filler? and is epoxy filler (sorry, forgot what it was spelled) a light filler?

and thats all. maybe i don't have several questions.

qman

From
    The miserable mill

i'm not sure what kind of plastic they use for for sale signs, i usually don't use them because they are so flimsy.

by light filler i meant stuff like foam. epoxy doesn't add too much weight tho, unless you are using tons of it really, i just use it to round corners in styrene

-=QuinN!
    Last edited by CombatBaby; Apr 1, 2006 at 2:21 PM.

wow !!!

From

anything new? just wondering

From

Anything new yet? sorry for being impatient, i just want to see how your jet pack will come out

From
    The miserable mill

not enough to need to take pictures

just strengthening the structure.

-=QuinN!

From

ok, i can wait

what are u using to strengthen the structure?

From
    Orlando, Florida

Thats an awsome pack man, great job!

wow!that looks really good.

From
    California

Geez... that is coming along super nice!
    Good job!

Can't wait to see what it looks like when you are all finished!

From
    Norwich UK

I am about to start my jet pack and found this thread again. OMG that jet pack is out of this world.

Quinn - have you got any finished pics of this baby?

From
    The miserable mill

sort of, i actually just need a rocket to finish it, using the templates to make one isn't working out for me, i want it to look cool. i can get some pictures of the pack body on here soon. I plan to redo it down the road, learned a lot on the first try, sort of like everything.

tips:

measure twice, cut once.
    make use of pvc whenever possible
    sheet styrene is your friend.
    attempt to make it hollow, or hollow enough (main reason i want a version 2.0 of my pack)

-=QuinN!

Hello CombatBaby,

Are they any changes that you would like to see done to the templates to help out with version 2?

I am always looking to improve the templates and any help would be great. Please post some pics, I'd love to see what you have come up with

Thanks,

Alan

From
    The miserable mill

Now that you mention it, I want to redo the thruster nozzels and it'd be awesome to have a template for the detailing. basically the things that look like plus signs on the thruster balls and the circumference of the indent would be nice.

all the templates for the pack body i have found to be extremely helpful and accurate, but it's just hard for me getting the rocket pieces to come out smooth, round, and proportionate once i start putting them together.

on the template for the nose cone of the rocket, it'd be good for the template cutout to feed from the top down so that when you cut it out you fold the pieces to the bottom of the cone, i suppose i could do that myself really in photoshop because its just different orientation but when i was cutting it out before it was a hassle to try to cut it out even and then get all the points to match up to the top and still be round around the edges.

kind of hard to explain outside of picture form.

-=QuinN!

thank you, I see what I can do about the thruster ball detail. As for the nose cone that make perfect sence, I should be able to rearrange it with out a problem.

The rocket is the most difficult part it took me two trys before I got the mock-up to look right. what I am planning on doing for the final version is to take a dowel and use it as the center support, drilling holes through the top and bottom disks for each section and gluing them to the dowel first. Then wrapping the outer skin around the whole mess. this should help keep everything straight.

Like you said kinda hard with out pictures to show.

Alan

From
    The miserable mill

wizardofflight said:
    thank you, I see what I can do about the thruster ball detail. As for the nose cone that make perfect sence, I should be able to rearrange it with out a problem.

The rocket is the most difficult part it took me two trys before I got the mock-up to look right. what I am planning on doing for the final version is to take a dowel and use it as the center support, drilling holes through the top and bottom disks for each section and gluing them to the dowel first. Then wrapping the outer skin around the whole mess. this should help keep everything straight.

Like you said kinda hard with out pictures to show.

Alan

, that is a really good idea, one i never considered. you could basically put all the disks on a dowel and then wrap whatever around them to form the cones.

i'll have to try it. also interested in seeing how you update these further

thanks Alan

-=QuinN!