my 'new' boots

Ronin677

Well-Known Hunter
I have edited this thread to show ppl how i constructed my boots. Hope it of some use to someone :)

1. I got an old pair of boots and cut away all the lace section and then glued the tongue to what remained of the lace sections.
2. The second stage was to square up the toes with some thick card and planty of glue (an old store card might have been better as it is plastic)
3. I then cut a 'u' shape away on both sides of the boots and overlayed wide black elastic over the cut out (i used 'no more nails' glue).
4. Once the elastic was dry I covered the whole boot with the first layers of light coloured material (this was stuck in place with '3M's Spray Mount adhesive). I done this by tackling both sides of the boot seperately)
5. I then overlayed a darker colour material from the toe up to the top of the tongue (again using the Spray Mount).
6. Lastly I glued some old laces in the positions shown.

I will hopefuly do something with the soles today to give that flat appearance and then weather them. More pics to follow.

PS the last pic is the original film boot just for comparison. :D

Further down the thread are photos with the flat sole

pic1.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic 3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work! Much better then the time I tried making home made boots. Awesome work!

One question though... why didn't you use a boot with a flat sole for the base? If you did that I think you'd have nailed it perfectly. Not trying to put down your work because its AWESOME.

Thanks for the praise guys.

i plan to alter the soles to give a 'flat' look (possibly tomorrow.

the good news (if you can call it that lol) is i took plenty of photo's of the process, i will post them over the next fews days.

thanks again

awesome! and with a little washing and misting... your dead on with the colour imo!! :cheers

I am actually leaning towards this idea, i see a lot of great scratch builds, these look awesome for instance, and some of the premade ones that are sold aren't really worth it if you ask me.

I had a pair of CA boots and i sold them. Wasn't happy with the quality, or the fact that they aren't finished if you're looking for accurate colors. Plus, i dunno how they sat for some people, but with the way the sole was made up it felt pretty easy to lose balance because the heel was weak.

I think since he's using an actual work boot as the base for this, its already a sure bet it will hold up against body weight, and it looks like his conversion went terrific

i also like the colors

-=QuinN!

Dentedarmor said:
Dude they look great! (y) What material did you use?

Cheers

DA

Hy Dentedarmour

the material i used was from two pair of old hiking trousers. The first was a light beige colour and the second was a olive drab (almost a dark green grey)colour. They were bought from 'Roys of Wroxham' about two years ago.

I also considered using denim jeans, you can get loads of different colours now and at places like Tesco's they are dirt cheap.

Just not sure about the soles. I am thinking of just sticking a band around the existing to give the appearance of a flat sole. The other alternative is to remove the exisitng sole and replace with more suitable one.

btw did you make a start on yours?

I have to admit... when I saw the first pictures my reaction was "you have to be kidding me" But going through the other pictures I was so suprised.. GREAT JOB!!! Once you weather them put some spikes on you're set!!!

Thanks for the very kind comments. I am unfortunately back at work this week so the DIY has again been put on the back shelf (plus i am also working on my EE3 blaster). I plan to modify the soles and weather the uppers this week hopefully and if i can find the bits i plan to put the spikes on the toes.

as soon as i finish them i will post more pics.

once again thanks for the encouragement :D

CombatBaby said:
I am actually leaning towards this idea, i see a lot of great scratch builds, these look awesome for instance, and some of the premade ones that are sold aren't really worth it if you ask me.

I had a pair of CA boots and i sold them. Wasn't happy with the quality, or the fact that they aren't finished if you're looking for accurate colors. Plus, i dunno how they sat for some people, but with the way the sole was made up it felt pretty easy to lose balance because the heel was weak.

I think since he's using an actual work boot as the base for this, its already a sure bet it will hold up against body weight, and it looks like his conversion went terrific

i also like the colors

-=QuinN!

I was quit happy with my CA boots... and about the colour... true! so very true! but a few washes and mistings and tada! as for quality... they are very nice to walk on, feel comfrtable so know achy feet after a con... and well... I have my repects for scratch building ( I do that myself 2...) but durability of a thing that was constructed out of a thousand different materials... bondo.... cloth etc etc... willl NEVER last as long as well... factory made boot...

but then if scratchies break down, you can always repair the way you made them before, witch is a little difficult with factory boots...

R_boba_fett said:
I was quit happy with my CA boots... and about the colour... true! so very true! but a few washes and mistings and tada! as for quality... they are very nice to walk on, feel comfrtable so know achy feet after a con... and well... I have my repects for scratch building ( I do that myself 2...) but durability of a thing that was constructed out of a thousand different materials... bondo.... cloth etc etc... willl NEVER last as long as well... factory made boot...

but then if scratchies break down, you can always repair the way you made them before, witch is a little difficult with factory boots...

Very true in regards to most scratch built items. The beauty with these boots is the fact that they are base upon very durable boots and the modification aspects are extremely well altered (very secure). I once managed a shoe factory here in the Uk and i am confident that my boots will not only last as long as factory made items but are just as comfortable (more so as they are extremely well broken in :lol: )

I guess i am just tight and don't want to spend my cash on CA boots (which i think are really good looking boots) :)

maybe i just got a bad pair of CAs then, because everytime i walked in them it felt liek the heel was about to give out. Given i am a big person, 6' 4.5", but i'm only about 180lbs. So i have no idea why i would get the rock effect with the boots. From what i've heard about the company they don't ship out crappy defect boots, does anyone else have that problem? the main reason i disliked my CAs was the balance factor. I didn't even bother weathering them because I knew i'd resell them.

I'll probably end up going this route because Ronin's are amazing looking. And like he said, they are built on a sturdy, broken in work boot so they will be comfortable and durable. Plus he was using nice materials and stronger adhesives. So unless he is actually planning on tracking down bounty's in a desert i'm sure they'll hold up just fine to trooping conditions. and if they ever did break, he knows what he needs to fix them like mentioned.

just my opinion of course

-=QuinN!

Wal-Mart has a pair of shoes right now for only $8.97. They are all black , but the overall design would be perfect to custom make into Boba shoes. Oh there is one more problem....They are womens shoes and only go up to size 11 womans. If you have a smaller foot though they should work great. A womens shoe is about 2 sizes different from a mans therefore if you wear a mans size 9 a womens size 11 should fit.

Well these are finally almost finished, just the weathering to do. Overall they were not as hard to make as thought they would be:)

C91E707D-DB5A-80D6-4E27B801D627887F.jpg

C91FC570-9DDD-1400-845BFAA6B1C1D284.jpg

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back