Subscribe
    Sep 3, 2007, 11:29 AM - My ROTJ JP DIY Harness & Paintwork Project #1

Hi Hunters,

I just wanted to post a few pics up on the work I did with my JP to make it wearable...

For the JP/Harness setup, besides the normal shoulder attachments, I wanted another pair for the bottom of my JP so I wouldn't have to worry about it swinging loosely from any sudden movements. And while the MLC2 is a lightweight pack, I wanted the feel of a more rounded secure hold on both the top and bottom of my JP.

With that thought in mind, I went out and picked up 2 cheap metal buckles [$2.00ea], removed the pins and had em installed into the JP for my lower back securement. And since I had access to resin and fiberglass, used that to hold the buckles in place.

I then purchased some nylon, milgrade standard [used for most Military apps] as I wanted both strength and durability as well as used a few of my spare BHI [Blackhawk Industries]; 2 x 1.5 inches & 2 x 1 inch buckles that I had lyin around and used snaps to affix it on.

End result from the back...

My base JP harness is a basic affordable padded High Sierra 'camelbak' [$7.00] that I found at a Sporting Goods Store near my office. It came without a bladder hence the price.

I then had the 1.5 inch nylon stiched onto the 'camelbak' shoulder straps, leaving enough leeway, for me to slip on the male connector of the buckle and a tri-glide to hold the excess.

Measured off the length downwards and had the 1 inch nylon stitched on near the bottom end of the 'camelbak'. And then on top of which, I had the waist belt 2 inch nylon stitched across as well. Am currently using a milgrade 2 inch buckle till I locate a US Divers buckle to replace it. :

All nylon attachments have tri-glides to hold and secure the excess nylon and are double stitched [ahh, the virtues of being a hard core high speed geardo ].

Last but not least, I also sourced from my excess gear and found a small 1 inch chest strap buckle setup for securement across my chest tween the shoulder straps.

Tried everything on [harness, vest and backplate] and the pack sits comfortably fine, doesn't slide down and doesn't swing out. Troopingwise I'll find out in Oct when I hit Taipei for the Con there.

The pics..

More pics to come...watch this space! Hope this thread was informative Hunters.

PWIP pics to follow in abit.

Stay safe,

Tim.
    Last edited by Halo_1; Sep 4, 2007 at 3:56 AM. Reason: Additional info
    Sep 3, 2007, 11:50 AM - Re: My MLC2 ROTJ JP Project, Harness & Paintwork #2

looks great bro!! were did ya get the high sierra camel back @ 8)
    Sep 3, 2007, 12:13 PM - Re: My MLC2 ROTJ JP Project, Harness & Paintwork #3

Quote dhs36 said: View Post
    looks great bro!! were did ya get the high sierra camel back @ 8)
    Thanks bro! Got the HS Camelbak from a sporting goods store...almost tore up my real camelbak till i decided I might be able to find a cheaper alternative around. Luckily, I did!

Stay safe,

Tim.
    Sep 3, 2007, 10:43 PM - Re: My MLC2 ROTJ JP Project, Harness & Paintwork #4

JP WIP pics..

First color on...and removal of the masking after drying:

First end result:

Masking and taping off for the second layer to go on:

More pics to follow as I get em done.

Stay safe,

Tim.
    Sep 9, 2007, 7:21 PM - Re: My MLC2 ROTJ JP Project, Harness & Paintwork #5

More progress pics and some issues I had with paint...

Here is where I am now, minus the white, black stripes and symbols, scratches, misting and dullcoat.

And here's my problem, I got back one day, removed the masking tape/newspaper and found little cracks all over the body, mainly on the blues. Anyone with any idea on why that happened? Weather issues? Lack of cure time? I'll probably incorporate the cracks into the damaged/weathering scheme somehow...and/or might strip off the paint and redo it later on.

My JP attached onto my harness, vest and backplate, nice and snug.

Any help/advice on the cracking would be appreciated, thanks!

Stay safe,

Tim.
    Last edited by Halo_1; Sep 9, 2007 at 7:52 PM. Reason: Typo
    Sep 13, 2007, 9:57 PM - Re: My MLC2 ROTJ JP Project, Harness & Paintwork #6

Hi Hunters,

Just wanted to share some close ups of my DIY JP Harness:

Stay tuned and stay safe,

Tim.
    Oct 1, 2007, 10:35 PM - Re: My MLC2 ROTJ JP Project, Harness & Paintwork #7

My question and the problem that I can't seem to solve, is how you were able to get that under your vest. Can you post some pics of your vest?
    Oct 1, 2007, 10:51 PM - Re: My MLC2 ROTJ JP Project, Harness & Paintwork #8

Hi Kashyyyk4ABY,

As you wish...

And once you have it done just right...

And you get this!

Hope that helps you out.

Stay safe,

Tim.
    Oct 2, 2007, 6:26 AM - Re: My MLC2 ROTJ JP Project, Harness & Paintwork #9

THANKS!
    Oct 2, 2007, 12:19 PM - Re: My MLC2 ROTJ JP Project, Harness & Paintwork #10

Awesome pics Tim...

I hope my ESB turns out that great.
    Oct 3, 2007, 6:59 AM - Re: My MLC2 ROTJ JP Project, Harness & Paintwork #11

Thanks bro!

Stay safe,

Tim.
  12. Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Nov 6, 2007, 3:54 PM - Re: My MLC2 ROTJ JP Project, Harness & Paintwork #12

So, how did your setup work? And how do you get the cutout panel to stay on? I am thinking about doing a similar setup and wanted to know if you would have done anything differently.
  13. Wes is offline Wes
    Nov 6, 2007, 4:09 PM - Re: My MLC2 ROTJ JP Project, Harness & Paintwork #13

Tim,

What paint did you use? That cracking can occur if you use acrylic over an enamel or vice versa.
    Nov 6, 2007, 6:48 PM - Re: My MLC2 ROTJ JP Project, Harness & Paintwork #14

Quote martinwilliamh said: View Post
    So, how did your setup work? And how do you get the cutout panel to stay on? I am thinking about doing a similar setup and wanted to know if you would have done anything differently.
    Let's put it this way, I'm willing to dance with it and am not worried that it will be a problem after. Checkout my Travolta bit in the Sarlacc Pit. My cutout panel is held in by pressure. And no, I'll stick with my design setup, I have no complaints about it at all. It rides and stays comfortably on the same part of my back, even after intense movement.

Quote Delta75 said: View Post
    Tim,

What paint did you use? That cracking can occur if you use acrylic over an enamel or vice versa.
    The majority of the paints used were Tamiya rattle cans bro. However, it may have been the silver basecoat that was the problem. Oh well, i've incoporated the cracks as part of my weathering, short of stripping the paint.

Stay safe,

Tim.
    Last edited by Halo_1; Nov 6, 2007 at 6:50 PM. Reason: typo
  15. Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Nov 7, 2007, 2:33 PM - Re: My MLC2 ROTJ JP Project, Harness & Paintwork #15

What do you mean "My cutout panel is held in by pressure"?
    Nov 7, 2007, 9:45 PM - Re: My MLC2 ROTJ JP Project, Harness & Paintwork #16

Quote martinwilliamh said: View Post
    What do you mean "My cutout panel is held in by pressure"?
    Just that, I push it in, it fits tight and flush. I need to use a bit of force to get it out...

One option you might want to look into, for holding your panel in place, is industrial magnets.

Good luck!

Stay safe,

Tim.
    Nov 7, 2007, 10:34 PM - Re: My MLC2 ROTJ JP Project, Harness & Paintwork #17

Anyone with any idea on why that happened? Weather issues? Lack of cure time? I'll probably incorporate the cracks into the damaged/weathering scheme somehow...and/or might strip off the paint and redo it later on.

Lack of cure time
    Nov 7, 2007, 10:44 PM - Re: My MLC2 ROTJ JP Project, Harness & Paintwork #18

Quote pennywise said: View Post
    Lack of cure time
    Thanks bro! Anyhow, I trooped with the cracks and all...gave it a real weathered/battered JP look.

martinwilliamh, this is how my JP sits, still without any adjustments since I first made it, and after my 'Travolta bit' in Taipei.

Stay safe,

Tim.
  19. Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Nov 15, 2007, 4:24 PM - Re: My MLC2 ROTJ JP Project, Harness & Paintwork #19

Hey Halo 1. So, I just about finished my setup. Very similar to yours (thanks for the inspiration). What size are you? The reason I ask is I am looking for a new backplate and want to find out where you got yours. Since I am 5'8" 135lbs most things run a little big on me. But you seem to be about the same size and everything fits you very nicely. Thanks.
    Nov 15, 2007, 9:17 PM - Re: My MLC2 ROTJ JP Project, Harness & Paintwork #20

martinwilliamh,

Glad I could help somehow...I'm actually 5'5" and 130lbs and I'm wearing a BM helm and FP V2 Armor.

Hope this helps somehow,

Stay safe,

Tim.
  21. Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Nov 15, 2007, 11:08 PM - Re: My MLC2 ROTJ JP Project, Harness & Paintwork #21

Excellent FETT Thanks for sharing the pics !!!

Once again great costume, armor looks really sweet !
  22. Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Nov 16, 2007, 11:14 AM - Re: My MLC2 ROTJ JP Project, Harness & Paintwork #22

What does BM stand for? Boba Maker?

And what does FP stand for?

What are the dimensions of your back armor plate? How wide is it from shoulder to shoulder? How long? And how far down from the top are the holes for the straps located?

So may questions! Sorry!

Quote Halo_1 said: View Post
    martinwilliamh,

Glad I could help somehow...I'm actually 5'5" and 130lbs and I'm wearing a BM helm and FP V2 Armor.

Hope this helps somehow,

Stay safe,

Tim.