Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    13
    Nov 19, 2010, 8:51 PM - My First Big Boy ESB Armor #1

    I've made a couple costumes for my boys, but this is the first set of armor for myself. I used Sintra and rattle cans except for the final weathering, which I used my new Harbor Freight special airbrush to mist the black on.

    I have some knees that are almost ready for primer. Then onto the rest...

    Thanks to everyone for all the research that allowed me to pull this off...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010050.JPG.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	48408Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010053.JPG.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	48407
  2. jsames's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    46
    Nov 20, 2010, 7:25 PM - Re: My First Big Boy ESB Armor #2

    Looks pretty darn good mate
  3. Nov 20, 2010, 8:46 PM - Re: My First Big Boy ESB Armor #3

    That looks awesome bro! Nice job!
  4. SPY007's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2006
    Posts
    297
    Nov 21, 2010, 4:06 AM - Re: My First Big Boy ESB Armor #4

    Nice work.Can you tell me how you shaped the chest plates?The appear to have the correct pectoral curvature. And what painy brand and colors did you use for the green, yellow and orange? Thanks
  5. Member Since
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    13
    Nov 21, 2010, 11:19 AM - Re: My First Big Boy ESB Armor #5

    Thanks for the compliments y'all!

    I shaped the chest pieces with boiling water. The hardest part was the top, where it curves in two directions. I started off getting the curvature from the inner to the outer chest. The I would dip just the area that needed more shaping and work on that. You gotta work fast while it's still hot. I would run it under cold water to set the shape.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010055.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	48429

    I've added a snapshot of the cans I used, but here's the breakdown:

    For the chest and abdomen, I used Rusto Summer Squash and Rusto Spruce Green, followed up by misting from some random black I had laying around. The Summer Squash is a little too "buttery" so I gave it a couple light coats of some tinted lacquer I had for painting guitars. Next time, I'm going to use Bauhaus Gold instead, though the tinted lacquer did add some nice depth to the green as well, I think.

    The Diamond is Rusto Dark Hunter Green (Far left - looks black in the picture)

    On the left shoulder bell, I used Summer squash, which again, is a little too "creamy" so I paled it up with some random white I had laying around. Very light misting from a couple feet back, just to tone it down. Again, I used the random black for the weathering, but this time, I used an airbrush that I just bought. ($9 from Harbor Freight - seems to do the trick)

    The right bell was a little trickier. I started off with Krylon Ruddy Brown Primer and gave it a few coats of the Krylon Bauhaus Gold until it looked about right. It was a little on the brown side, so I put on a few light coats of Krylon Pumpkin Orange.

    Everything got hit with some steel wool before a few coats of the Flat Krylon Clear.

    Thanks again for the compliments.
  6. Member Since
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1
    Dec 4, 2010, 6:26 PM - Re: My First Big Boy ESB Armor #6

    My girlfriend bought me the set of this armor you had on ebay as an early Christmas present, and it just arrived at my house 15 minutes ago and all I have to say is this armor looks even more amazing in person! You did an outstanding paint job, defiantly worth it.
  7. Member Since
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    13
    Dec 7, 2010, 12:50 PM - Re: My First Big Boy ESB Armor #7

    That's so awesome that you found this thread. Were you already browsing the forums or did you stumble upon this thread after the fact? In any case, I'm really glad you like the armor. I wasn't planning on selling them when I finished them. I will have a costume of my own one day, I just thought I'd see if I could get a few bucks for these for some Christmas money. There's not a lot of reference for the ESB armor, but I feel I got it pretty close. I plan on doing my next set the exact same way, so I'm really pleased with the way they turned out. Let me know if you need any help with matching your additional armor. I'm pretty sure I remember most of the process, and you can see all the paint colors I used above.

Similar Threads

  1. ROTJ Armor Paintup (AOSW) *BIG UPDATE*
    By Ponte in forum Boba Fett Costume
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: Apr 3, 2011, 5:47 AM
  2. New boy from the UK
    By Dradis in forum Introductions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jul 2, 2010, 4:04 AM
  3. BFUK ESB paintup. BIG UPDATE TODAY!:)
    By cr4nky in forum Boba Fett Costume
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: Sep 24, 2009, 1:53 AM
  4. Scratch Built ESB Blaster-Oh Boy!
    By Studio Fett in forum Boba Fett Costume
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: Sep 8, 2008, 7:47 PM
  5. OH NO! The fg armor I have wasn't made for a fat boy!
    By t_bone9600 in forum Boba Fett Costume
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Mar 31, 2007, 1:53 PM