Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My armor

My armor

OK, I know it is not perfect, but I wasn't really going for accurate. So, let me know what you think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chest-jpg  

From
    Roanoke, TX

Re: My armor

All right!!! Finally bro! Looks great!!! Love the misting, with the thick paint spots just like the real deal. Good job! Did you use the template I made?

Dont be modist... it loots very good, a great painjob you should wear proudly!

I think it looks great.

Looks great...really thick.
    What's it made of?

electric_jay said:
    Looks great...really thick.
    What's it made of?
    i'm going to guess fiberglass, and it looks awesome.

Thank you very much.
    Yes it is fiberglass.

I had a heck of a time with this. This is my first paint job. The liquid latex gave me fits. When I took it off it would take layers of paint off with it. So I had to sand it down and start over again. After the 5th time I was so irritated, I just did the touch ups with a brush.

From
    Muskegon, Michigan

Awesome!!

nice...did you maKe the armor?

From
    Orlando, FL

Looking real good. For your first time you did an amazing job. With the liquid latex, were you letting it dry completly before painting over it?

Predatormv said:
    Looking real good. For your first time you did an amazing job. With the liquid latex, were you letting it dry completly before painting over it?

I was doing it a few ways because I wasn't 100% sure of what to do. The 1st time I took it off after I was done with the airbrush. That took off lots of paint. The 2nd time I let it dry to the touch. Again, same thing and down to the prymer. Third time I let it dry for 24 hrs, same thing. So I thought I would try a new bottle of latex. 4th time, let it dry for 24 hrs, nope same thing.
    5th time I took some fine sandpaper and gently went over the each color but the green. It worked much better but it still took some paint off.

Any ideas?

From
    California

Very nice!!!

Ok, slight update. Finished up the knees. I took a few shots, one with a flash and one without. I was VERY surprised how the colors looked. But here you go....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails smknee01-jpg   smknees-jpg  

Account Deactivated

It's looking good Todd... ....
    I thought you said you couldn't paint???? ..

Great Work,,

From
    San Antonio,Tx

Look good keep up the good work.

Looks really good. This is your first paint job ? Sorry, your 2nd, the first job was the armor . Im starting my first paint job next week, hope to come close to yours...

Go on, youre on the right way

Looks great man!!!!!!!!!!! You're putting me to shame!

Mikey likey.

From
    Cincinnati, OH

Laan said:
    The liquid latex gave me fits. When I took it off it would take layers of paint off with it. So I had to sand it down and start over again. After the 5th time I was so irritated, I just did the touch ups with a brush.
    one word. Mustard.

I Mustard!

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback, good or bad.

Looks great man.I agree on the mustard though.Easier to work with and much cheaper than masking fluid, and works just as good.

NEF and Wickedbeard,
    You put it on with a brush? Something I need to do a search on.... thanks for the input!

Laan said:
    I was doing it a few ways because I wasn't 100% sure of what to do. The 1st time I took it off after I was done with the airbrush. That took off lots of paint. The 2nd time I let it dry to the touch. Again, same thing and down to the prymer. Third time I let it dry for 24 hrs, same thing. So I thought I would try a new bottle of latex. 4th time, let it dry for 24 hrs, nope same thing.
    5th time I took some fine sandpaper and gently went over the each color but the green. It worked much better but it still took some paint off.

Any ideas?

Nice armour paint job!

When I paint/mask, I like to seal each layer with matte finish (or dull coat) as I work up.

So, I will spray down silver, seal it, mask the damage with masking fluid, spray my next color, spray sealer, mask, repeat..

I found this gives you a stable undercoating, and prevents alot of the lifting going on.

It also makes it easier to wipe up paint mistakes if your quick enough without eating into the lower layers.
    Last edited by stonerook; Jul 17, 2006 at 1:06 PM.

Thanks S. I need to try that.

From
    Cincinnati, OH

Laan said:
    NEF and Wickedbeard,
    You put it on with a brush? Something I need to do a search on.... thanks for the input!
    I squeeze it on directly from the squeeze bottle...I leave a big blob of it just before i spray the next layer wich leaves the mustard still wet underneath with a "skin" of paint. It should still be a little wet when the paint is dry. It's easy to find, just look for the big bumps. Then just wipe it off with a paper towel.

I tried it once with a thinner layer and letting it dry...that worked ok, but it was harder to work with. It kinda flaked up or chipped up which made me a little nearvous.

I can send you some pics of my "finished" armor if you want. Of course anything fett is never really finished.

never_ending_fett said:
    I can send you some pics of my "finished" armor if you want. Of course anything fett is never really finished.
    Please, that would be cool.