Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    58
    Jan 11, 2015, 5:23 AM - MPP Flash Tubes #1

    I have been researching and working on producing replica MPP tubes for my ESB EE3. I am thinking about producing these for members as I have not seen anyone doing this yet (if I am wrong someone please correct me, as I am not looking to **** anyone off). I do not know if there is any interest in these but here are the pics of the one I made for my EE3. I am using full MPP length as I am also working on an electronic kit to fit down my barrel. However, I can cut them down to any length. PM or reply here if there is any interest so I can gauge if this is a desired product. Also if anyone has any input I am always open to way to improve my products.








    Thanks all
    Steve
  2. starchild99's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    84
    Jan 11, 2015, 5:28 AM - Re: MPP Flash Tubes #2

    I'm not an Empire guy but your going to get a lot of helpful input in a bit.
  3. syllander's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,067
    Jan 11, 2015, 2:00 PM - Re: MPP Flash Tubes #3

    These would be a good addition to items for sale around here. Considering the real ones I've seen go for over $200, if these are pretty accurate you'll likely have some interest out there.
  4. DeathProof's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,000
    Jan 11, 2015, 5:58 PM - Re: MPP Flash Tubes #4

    Quote syllander said: View Post
    Considering the real ones I've seen go for over $200...
    Really? *sigh. Why is nothing cheap with this costume....
  5. syllander's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,067
    Jan 11, 2015, 6:09 PM - Re: MPP Flash Tubes #5

    Really DP??? I blame you for making me want to build a dang rocketeer build!!!!that one ain't much cheaper.
    you can get a Heiland flash tube that is ALMOST exactly the same tube, often for less than $50 on the bay as an entire assembly from some old camera clear out sale. BUT there's something on it that's not quite screen accurate. Think it's the holes for a plug. @Fett4reaL would be able to say.
    The MPP tubes are very scarce.
  6. DeathProof's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,000
    Jan 11, 2015, 6:30 PM - Re: MPP Flash Tubes #6

    Quote syllander said: View Post
    Really DP??? I blame you for making me want to build a dang rocketeer build!!!!that one ain't much cheaper.
    Whoopsie
  7. SPY007's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2006
    Posts
    314
    Jan 14, 2015, 8:43 PM - Re: MPP Flash Tubes #7

    Sith Steve:

    What was your "MPP" made from? It looks good, but like a brushed metal. The MPP was chrome. You might be better off starting with a plumbing sink tube. Here is mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FettBlasterDone.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	206.5 KB 
ID:	84088  
  8. Member Since
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    58
    Jan 15, 2015, 3:20 AM - Re: MPP Flash Tubes #8

    Thanks for reply. Its made out of aluminium pipe. I used my graflex as a reference for the material. I actually looked at sink tubes but in the end wasnt satisfied with the match. Here is a picture of the 2 side

  9. Matty Matt's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    534
    Jan 15, 2015, 4:37 AM - Re: MPP Flash Tubes #9

    MPP tubes are chromed, Graflex tubes are nickel plated brass.
  10. Member Since
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    58
    Jan 15, 2015, 6:27 AM - Re: MPP Flash Tubes #10

    Thanks for that info. Looks like I should look into chrome then
  11. Member Since
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    58
    Feb 1, 2015, 3:18 AM - Re: MPP Flash Tubes #11

    *UPDATE*
    Chrome tubing ordered and on the way. Updated pics to follow once they arrive and I drill them out.
  12. Member Since
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    58
    4 Weeks Ago - Feb 28, 2015, 8:37 AM - Re: MPP Flash Tubes #12

    *UPDATE*
    New chrome pipe material. Drilling new more accurate hole pattern this week.
    Last edited by sith steve; 4 Weeks Ago at 8:48 AM.
  13. 4 Weeks Ago - Feb 28, 2015, 9:04 AM - Re: MPP Flash Tubes #13

    i may be interested after seeing pics after you drill this new tube out. The only thing i dont like about the regular plumbing pipe is that its usually brass and chrome plated, so the edges of the holes are brass and it would drive my OCD nuts lol. This new pipe/tube you have looks promising!

    Also, you CAN polish up aluminum to look chrome. I'ts a bit of work, but lots of my BMX buddies have done it with seatposts and stems and such.
  14. Member Since
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    772
    4 Weeks Ago - Feb 28, 2015, 9:04 AM - Re: MPP Flash Tubes #14

    Can't wait to see this!
  15. 4 Weeks Ago - Feb 28, 2015, 9:06 AM - Re: MPP Flash Tubes #15

    Quote Matty Matt said: View Post
    MPP tubes are chromed, Graflex tubes are nickel plated brass.
    Just a fun FYI : Technically chrome plated is nickel plated. Chromium is clear. So when you see a chromed part, it is nickel plated and then chromed plated over it for the durability. Something i learned in the BMX community lol
  16. Matty Matt's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    534
    4 Weeks Ago - Feb 28, 2015, 9:20 AM - Re: MPP Flash Tubes #16

    Well if you want to get all technical about it...
  17. 4 Weeks Ago - Feb 28, 2015, 9:58 AM - Re: MPP Flash Tubes #17

    haha :P

    - - - Updated - - -

    Oh..and Steve..is that a bedspread with those Fett helmets on it? Whatever it is i must have it!
  18. formerly buda741 rnbuda's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2008
    Posts
    369
    4 Weeks Ago - Feb 28, 2015, 10:05 AM - Re: MPP Flash Tubes #18

    Lou, they're from pottery barn kids!
  19. Sidewinder's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    454
    4 Weeks Ago - Feb 28, 2015, 10:15 AM - Re: MPP Flash Tubes #19

    Clearly those BMX folks have no idea what they are talking about. Chromium is not clear. Most chrome plated parts are Nickel plated first and then a thin layer of Chrome on top. The nickel plating provides the smoothness, much of the corrosion resistance, and most of the reflectivity. The chrome plating is exceptionally thin but not 'clear'.
    When you look at a decorative chrome plated surface, such as a chrome plated wheel or bumper, most of what you are seeing is actually the effects of the nickel plating. The chrome adds a very slightly bluish cast (compared to the slightly yellowish cast of nickel), protects the nickel against tarnish, minimizes scratching, and symbiotically contributes to corrosion resistance. Without the brilliant levelled nickel undercoating, you would not have a rust-resistant, reflective, decorative surface.

    Real MPPs are plated Brass, if you want real accuracy you need to cut the holes first and then plate the tube.

    SAS

    Quote Darth Voorhees said: View Post
    Just a fun FYI : Technically chrome plated is nickel plated. Chromium is clear. So when you see a chromed part, it is nickel plated and then chromed plated over it for the durability. Something i learned in the BMX community lol
  20. 4 Weeks Ago - Feb 28, 2015, 10:29 AM - Re: MPP Flash Tubes #20

    Quote Sidewinder said: View Post
    Clearly those BMX folks have no idea what they are talking about. Chromium is not clear. Most chrome plated parts are Nickel plated first and then a thin layer of Chrome on top. The nickel plating provides the smoothness, much of the corrosion resistance, and most of the reflectivity. The chrome plating is exceptionally thin but not 'clear'.
    When you look at a decorative chrome plated surface, such as a chrome plated wheel or bumper, most of what you are seeing is actually the effects of the nickel plating. The chrome adds a very slightly bluish cast (compared to the slightly yellowish cast of nickel), protects the nickel against tarnish, minimizes scratching, and symbiotically contributes to corrosion resistance. Without the brilliant levelled nickel undercoating, you would not have a rust-resistant, reflective, decorative surface.

    Real MPPs are plated Brass, if you want real accuracy you need to cut the holes first and then plate the tube.

    SAS
    Thats exactly what i meant. I just didnt think i needed to go into all that detail for my fun fact lol. My point was that the silver you see is the nickel. The durability is the chrome. They know what they are talking about because these guys have been making bikes for decades. Me on the other hand, my memory doesn't serve me as well as it used to. lol
  21. Sidewinder's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    454
    4 Weeks Ago - Feb 28, 2015, 10:38 AM - Re: MPP Flash Tubes #21

    The 'silver' you see is the layered Ni & Ch not just the Ni, if it was just the Ni giving the 'colour' it'd have a yellow tint to it. Be assured it's Chrome you are looking at.

    It's the Metallurgist in me that can't standby while such in-correctness is perpetrated DV

    SAS
  22. 4 Weeks Ago - Feb 28, 2015, 10:42 AM - Re: MPP Flash Tubes #22

    Quote Sidewinder said: View Post
    The 'silver' you see is the layered Ni & Ch not just the Ni, if it was just the Ni giving the 'colour' it'd have a yellow tint to it. Be assured it's Chrome you are looking at.

    It's the Metallurgist in me that can't standby while such in-correctness is perpetrated DV

    SAS
    gotcha...id like your post, but i cant lol. My memory blurs since it was likey 15yrs ago i heard that info lol But yea, thats what i was meaning to say. It wouldnt look like that without the nickel, you need both to get the finish we know and love lol.

    Sorry for the derailment Steve! lol

    Looking forward to how these tubes will look!
  23. Member Since
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    58
    4 Weeks Ago - Feb 28, 2015, 8:08 PM - Re: MPP Flash Tubes #23

    Yes the blanket is from pottery barn kids and it costs around 50 bucks if i remember correctly. I know technically these should be chromed after the holes are drilled. However, that is expensive and I am looking for a way to provide inexpensive accurate alternative for the community. I have tried the standard "plumber pipe" and it just wasnt the right look or feel (to light). Along with ordering about 4 other different kinds of chrome tubing I found this one looks and feels the best. Thanks for the education of chrome though, I always love learning new things.
  24. Member Since
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    58
    2 Weeks Ago - Mar 12, 2015, 4:41 AM - Re: MPP Flash Tubes #24

    *****UPDATE****

    New Hole pattern with new chrome tube. Please criticize/compliment I am striving to make the best product for the community.



  25. Member Since
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    772
    2 Weeks Ago - Mar 12, 2015, 8:41 AM - Re: MPP Flash Tubes #25

    I'm no expert, but that totally works for me!

Similar Threads

  1. HEILAND FLASH TUBES ON EBAY
    By FettDad in forum Boba Fett Costume
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Feb 2, 2009, 9:43 PM
  2. Interest in MPP Flash Copys
    By BobaFettSlave1 in forum Boba Fett Costume
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Jun 1, 2008, 8:20 PM