Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. MLS's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    406
    Jun 12, 2015, 3:24 AM - The MLS WIP (finally)... a long time coming... #1

    Well, after about 15 years of being suitless/ kitless, I've decided to suit up. It seems ironic to me that as many pieces as I've made, commissions I've taken and original pieces collected; that I myself, do not have a full kit of my own.
    That changes now. I, by nature am a purist. In theory, that should make me an ESB. However, after painting a few ESB and ROTJ buckets , jetpacks and armor, I find myself loving the complexity and randomness of the ROTJ scheme. No, not ROTJ SE, just plain good old fashioned sarlaac snack ROTJ. I love the dirtiness of the pieces, the small scratches, everything. I could go without the blue/yellow/red/ white circus jetpack... but sometimes you just gotta wear it.

    Pieces list:

    Bucket: (in hand) Still rolling it around, but may use one of my MS1 buckets that Ive had for 10 years, simply for nestalgia. RF light kit and servo may be custom. I have a JC27 light kit on hand for backup.

    Armor : RKD/ IOA ROTJ v2.1. Aluminum grooved darts.

    Gauntlets : RKD/ IOA v2s. I think I found a way to safely equip a "functioning" flamethrower. No one jump on me about safety until after I troubleshoot it, but for around $300, I think I can do it.

    Jetpack: (in hand) MOW (with metal pieces)

    Jetpack hardware : FMF (on order)

    Gloves: (in hand -buh-dum-cha!) I have a set of Bobamaker and a set of Saint Nasty's. We'll see what works.

    Boots : (in hand) MOW

    Shin tools : (in hand) scratch, from originals

    Flak / Flight / Pouches : Flak and flightsuit will be tailor made in house. I just gave cbrant my prototype pouches for his SE kit, so I'll have to make another set.

    Blaster : (in hand??) Working on a V2 of my ROTJ kit. Going to try to cut the weight in half, should weigh in a little over 2 lbs when I'm finished.

    Cape: (in hand) cut from one of the half shelters I have laying around.

    Girth : dyed in house

    Ammo belt: (in hand) cargo hold find. 99cent taco belt. Never worn.

    Braids: (in hand) Real horse hair, in house.

    Display: (in hand) fettronics

    Of course, we'll have metal darts, gauntlet missile, toe spikes, jetpack pieces & armor studs. Any LEDs will be functional - gauntlet, jetpacks, rf, maybe even the blaster.

    Still working on JP harness. Looking at MOWs vest harness setup, anyone use one before?

    I have most of these pieces in hand now. I havent been known to post many WIPs, as most of the time I'm working on so many different things I would never get anything done. I'm hoping that will change with this thread. I have a hard on for neodynium magnets, so anyone who likes magnet turorials should watch closely.

    So, now... all you ESBs can hate me.
    Last edited by MLS; Jun 13, 2015 at 1:59 AM.
  2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
  3. Jun 12, 2015, 3:38 AM - Re: The MLS WIP (finally)... a long time coming... #2

    Quote MLS said: View Post
    So, now... all you ESBs can hate me.

    I do love a good Jedi Fett
  4. Jesuit24's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    252
    Jun 12, 2015, 4:58 AM - Re: The MLS WIP (finally)... a long time coming... #3

    I guess when you're a vendor, the waiting time for parts is considerably less.
  5. MLS's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    406
    Jun 12, 2015, 5:13 AM - Re: The MLS WIP (finally)... a long time coming... #4

    Quote Jesuit24 said: View Post
    I guess when you're a vendor, the waiting time for parts is considerably less.
    I'd like to think you're right Jesuit, but in all actuality I'd consider it longer. My orders come first. If I didnt paint as well, I'd simply throw some money at a piece, send it to a painter and call it a day. Alas, it's not that easy. Getting the pieces is easy, finding the time is the difficult task.
  6. Bounty1138's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    301
    Jun 12, 2015, 12:54 PM - Re: The MLS WIP (finally)... a long time coming... #5

    I haven't tried MoW's vest harness, but my biggest concern with it would be another layer on an already warm suit. I find it more than toasty enough with my tshirt, flightsuit, vest and armour. I like my 3D printed harness from Toolguy301. It distributes the weight well and it's light, but strong. And, movie accurate is a bonus (even if it's not made from the original material)
  7. DeathProof's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,160
    Jun 12, 2015, 1:48 PM - Re: The MLS WIP (finally)... a long time coming... #6

    ROTJ represent

    I agree that another layer for a cloth harness is not really the best idea. The 3D harness or metal harness will probably be a better route as it will also distribute the weight better.

    Looking forward to it man! I was thinking about smoke from my flamethrower as well, so I'm curious to see how you set it up.
  8. Lidocaine's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    39
    Jun 12, 2015, 2:02 PM - Re: The MLS WIP (finally)... a long time coming... #7

    I've got Toolguy301's 3d printed harness as well and I really like how sturdy and light it is! Glad to see another ROTJ build too!
  9. Darth Voorhees's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,583
    Jun 12, 2015, 10:28 PM - Re: The MLS WIP (finally)... a long time coming... #8

    Well awesome Im an ESB guy, but i plan to build a ROTJ also, its grown on me over the years, so no hate from me!
  10. MLS's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    406
    Jun 12, 2015, 10:33 PM - Re: The MLS WIP (finally)... a long time coming... #9

    Quote Darth Voorhees said: View Post
    Well awesome Im an ESB guy, but i plan to build a ROTJ also, its grown on me over the years, so no hate from me!
    I have this thing I do... in life... daily... where I find the most thorough, difficult, and rewarding path- then I take it. After doing a few ROTJ buckets and jetpacks, it's what I ended on. After this one, I'll tackle a PP or ST kit... but that's down the road.
  11. Armydad's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    360
    Jun 12, 2015, 10:50 PM - Re: The MLS WIP (finally)... a long time coming... #10

    Can't wait to see it come together! I also had a cloth type jetpack harness, I'm looking forward to an actual harness. I also had fiber fglass armor in the past and have upgraded to RDK as well, much lighter and more comfortable.
  12. MLS's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    406
    Jun 12, 2015, 10:53 PM - Re: The MLS WIP (finally)... a long time coming... #11

    Quote Armydad said: View Post
    Can't wait to see it come together! I also had a cloth type jetpack harness, I'm looking forward to an actual harness. I also had fiber fglass armor in the past and have upgraded to RDK as well, much lighter and more comfortable.
    Ive had many sets of Will's armor pass through my hands in the last year. Loved every piece. It's a no brainer for me getting his v2.1 set. I'm leaning toward bigdane's metal harness. Do it once and do it right???
  13. Refugee's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    96
    Jun 13, 2015, 1:19 AM - Re: The MLS WIP (finally)... a long time coming... #12

    Wow, a real working flame thrower? That will be a sight to behold. Something like this?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=guIB2EIF5cE
  14. MLS's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    406
    Jun 13, 2015, 1:23 AM - Re: The MLS WIP (finally)... a long time coming... #13

    Quote Refugee said: View Post
    Wow, a real working flame thrower? That will be a sight to behold. Something like this?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=guIB2EIF5cE
    That looks more like an LED and a CO2 cannister or fog machine. Mine will shoot fire
  15. Jun 13, 2015, 2:55 AM - Re: The MLS WIP (finally)... a long time coming... #14

    Quote Bounty1138 said: View Post
    I haven't tried MoW's vest harness, but my biggest concern with it would be another layer on an already warm suit. I find it more than toasty enough with my tshirt, flightsuit, vest and armour. I like my 3D printed harness from Toolguy301. It distributes the weight well and it's light, but strong. And, movie accurate is a bonus (even if it's not made from the original material)
    I have wondered about the printed harness, does it show any signs of stress, or wear? something in me feels uncertain about it, though your confidence fills me with encouragement.
    I have a cloth harness at the moment, a ArmyDad one in fact, it's good but the lack of a waist system is a bit unfortunate.... nothing like a waist band to take some weight off.
    I do like the look of MOW harness, but it does look a bit on the warm side. Would be great for winter
  16. Armydad's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    360
    Jun 13, 2015, 4:35 AM - Re: The MLS WIP (finally)... a long time coming... #15

    Quote MLS said: View Post
    Ive had many sets of Will's armor pass through my hands in the last year. Loved every piece. It's a no brainer for me getting his v2.1 set. I'm leaning toward bigdane's metal harness. Do it once and do it right???
    Third times the charm for me lol Figured its about time I learned my lesson.
  17. Darth Voorhees's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,583
    Jun 13, 2015, 5:47 AM - Re: The MLS WIP (finally)... a long time coming... #16

    Quote TheZeroEffect said: View Post
    I have wondered about the printed harness, does it show any signs of stress, or wear? something in me feels uncertain about it, though your confidence fills me with encouragement.
    I have a cloth harness at the moment, a ArmyDad one in fact, it's good but the lack of a waist system is a bit unfortunate.... nothing like a waist band to take some weight off.
    I do like the look of MOW harness, but it does look a bit on the warm side. Would be great for winter
    I had some doubts as well when toolguy first introduced those harness' as well. But then he posted a few pics in his thread of him wearing it with a 20lb weight attached to it, and said he wore it around the house for a bit and it was holding up like a champ, so id say its a good bet, as well as BigDane's. Kcr7prs seems quite good as well, but he hasnt been around lately so not sure if/when hes doing more once his current orders ship.

    Not a huge fan of the MOW style harness, but it does look like it would do the job, albiet by adding another layer of softgoods.
  18. Bigdane's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    284
    Jun 13, 2015, 7:27 AM - Re: The MLS WIP (finally)... a long time coming... #17

    Quote Darth Voorhees said: View Post
    I had some doubts as well when toolguy first introduced those harness' as well. But then he posted a few pics in his thread of him wearing it with a 20lb weight attached to it, and said he wore it around the house for a bit and it was holding up like a champ, so id say its a good bet, as well as BigDane's. Kcr7prs seems quite good as well, but he hasnt been around lately so not sure if/when hes doing more once his current orders ship.

    Not a huge fan of the MOW style harness, but it does look like it would do the job, albiet by adding another layer of softgoods.
    All The harness you mentioned are good quality , i can tell you that next run of my kits will start in aprox 2 weeks.


    hh.props@outlook.dk
  19. Bounty1138's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    301
    Jun 13, 2015, 1:31 PM - Re: The MLS WIP (finally)... a long time coming... #18

    Quote TheZeroEffect said: View Post
    I have wondered about the printed harness, does it show any signs of stress, or wear? something in me feels uncertain about it, though your confidence fills me with encouragement.
    I have a cloth harness at the moment, a ArmyDad one in fact, it's good but the lack of a waist system is a bit unfortunate.... nothing like a waist band to take some weight off.
    I do like the look of MOW harness, but it does look a bit on the warm side. Would be great for winter
    It seems strong to me. There is a bit of flex (I assume more than a metal frame would), but that doesn't mess with the structural integrity. You still attach an aluminium bar for the pack to rest on. I'd highly recommend it.
  20. toolguy301's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2009
    Posts
    694
    Jun 15, 2015, 4:22 PM - Re: The MLS WIP (finally)... a long time coming... #19

    All the harness's that have been mentioned are good options. Just depends on what direction you want to go in.

    I had some doubts as well when toolguy first introduced those harness' as well. But then he posted a few pics in his thread of him wearing it with a 20lb weight attached to it, and said he wore it around the house for a bit and it was holding up like a champ
    This is very true & my kids thought I was crazy.


    http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f31/3...68/#post625468

    Been trooping with the 3D printed harness (Same one I had the weights on) for over a year now closing in on 30 troops With only 5 last year prior to July, cause of breaking my ankle so the bulk has been this year since February. Always check it after every troop for any fatigue & have yet to find any issues, but I do that with all the pieces of my costume. There is a little flex but it is very comfortable & light.
  21. MLS's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    406
    Jul 25, 2015, 4:40 AM - Re: The MLS WIP (finally)... a long time coming... #20

    Quote MLS said: View Post
    Well, after about 15 years of being suitless/ kitless, I've decided to suit up. It seems ironic to me that as many pieces as I've made, commissions I've taken and original pieces collected; that I myself, do not have a full kit of my own.
    That changes now. I, by nature am a purist. In theory, that should make me an ESB. However, after painting a few ESB and ROTJ buckets , jetpacks and armor, I find myself loving the complexity and randomness of the ROTJ scheme. No, not ROTJ SE, just plain good old fashioned sarlaac snack ROTJ. I love the dirtiness of the pieces, the small scratches, everything. I could go without the blue/yellow/red/ white circus jetpack... but sometimes you just gotta wear it.

    Pieces list:

    Bucket: (in hand) Still rolling it around, but may use one of my MS1 buckets that Ive had for 10 years, simply for nestalgia. RF light kit and servo may be custom. I have a JC27 light kit on hand for backup.

    Armor : RKD/ IOA ROTJ v2.1. Aluminum grooved darts.

    Gauntlets : RKD/ IOA v2s. I think I found a way to safely equip a "functioning" flamethrower. No one jump on me about safety until after I troubleshoot it, but for around $300, I think I can do it.

    Jetpack: (in hand) MOW (with metal pieces)

    Jetpack hardware : FMF (on order)

    Gloves: (in hand -buh-dum-cha!) I have a set of Bobamaker and a set of Saint Nasty's. We'll see what works.

    Boots : (in hand) MOW

    Shin tools : (in hand) scratch, from originals

    Flak / Flight / Pouches : Flak and flightsuit will be tailor made in house. I just gave cbrant my prototype pouches for his SE kit, so I'll have to make another set.

    Blaster : (in hand??) Working on a V2 of my ROTJ kit. Going to try to cut the weight in half, should weigh in a little over 2 lbs when I'm finished.

    Cape: (in hand) cut from one of the half shelters I have laying around.

    Girth : dyed in house

    Ammo belt: (in hand) cargo hold find. 99cent taco belt. Never worn.

    Braids: (in hand) Real horse hair, in house.

    Display: (in hand) fettronics

    Of course, we'll have metal darts, gauntlet missile, toe spikes, jetpack pieces & armor studs. Any LEDs will be functional - gauntlet, jetpacks, rf, maybe even the blaster.

    Still working on JP harness. Looking at MOWs vest harness setup, anyone use one before?

    I have most of these pieces in hand now. I havent been known to post many WIPs, as most of the time I'm working on so many different things I would never get anything done. I'm hoping that will change with this thread. I have a hard on for neodynium magnets, so anyone who likes magnet turorials should watch closely.

    So, now... all you ESBs can hate me.
    So, some updates:

    Helmet : Ditched the mystery helmet idea. PP'd funds to animefan for a FP prem coldcast.


    Armor : RKD/ IOA ROTJ v2.1. Aluminum grooved darts.

    Gauntlets : RKD/ IOA v2s. I think I found a way to safely equip a "functioning" flamethrower. No one jump on me about safety until after I troubleshoot it, but for around $300, I think I can do it. FLAMETHROWER WORKS!

    Jetpack: (in hand) MOW (with metal pieces)

    Jetpack hardware : FMF (IN HAND)

    Gloves: (in hand -buh-dum-cha!) I have a set of Bobamaker and a set of Saint Nasty's. We'll see what works.

    Boots : (in hand) MOW

    Shin tools : (in hand) scratch, from originals

    Flak / Flight / Pouches : Flak and flightsuit will be tailor made in house. I just gave cbrant my prototype pouches for his SE kit, so I'll have to make another set.

    Blaster : GOING TO BE A LIGHTWEIGHT TROOPING BLASTER

    Cape: (in hand) cut from one of the half shelters I have laying around.

    Girth : dyed in house

    Ammo belt: UPDATE: HELLO DELTAMIKE13

    Braids: (in hand) Real horse hair, in house.

    Display: (in hand) fettronics

    Of course, we'll have metal darts, gauntlet missile, toe spikes, jetpack pieces & armor studs. Any LEDs will be functional - gauntlet, jetpacks, rf, maybe even the blaster.

    JP HARNESS: BigDane in hand
  22. Member Since
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    9
    Jul 25, 2015, 2:54 PM - Re: The MLS WIP (finally)... a long time coming... #21

    any video of your "functioning" flamethrower?
    might be great to see that
  23. MLS's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    406
    Jul 25, 2015, 3:06 PM - Re: The MLS WIP (finally)... a long time coming... #22

    @Mutley, I fired it a little bit last night and today. It more of a fireball thrower. I need to scratchbuild a flamethrower housing contain it and attach to RKDs V2 gauntlets. His is just a little too small.to contain it. Maybe I'll rig up something basic for the thread's sake. We'll see.
  24. DeathProof's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,160
    Jul 25, 2015, 3:41 PM - Re: The MLS WIP (finally)... a long time coming... #23

    Curious about the flamethrower as well. Last guy who said he put one together didn't come back to the forum.

    Is it just CO2 or something more involved? How would the gauntlet be able to handle any heat without warping?
  25. MLS's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    406
    Jul 25, 2015, 3:56 PM - Re: The MLS WIP (finally)... a long time coming... #24

    @DeathProof, I dont see myself going anywhere anytime soon. Lol Also, I wont boast something that I can't back up. While I wasnt sure exactly what exactly to expect when i conceived this, it does throw fire. Not co2, not fog.and an led, fire. Fireballs (to be more accurate) as opposed to the stream of fire on an actual flamethrower. Throwing fireballs instead of a stream keeps the temperature low.
  26. MLS's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    406
    4 Weeks Ago - Aug 1, 2015, 2:19 AM - Re: The MLS WIP (finally)... a long time coming... #25

    So, the "flamethrower". I didnt want to be a walking molotov cocktail at a comic con. I'm really not down with the whole, "oops i lit myself on fire" issue that may arise in a crowded room. So the alternative is a no liquid fuel flamethrower. Fireballs, short and sweet. I started with RKFs new V2 left gaunt. did a quick hinge/ magnet hybrid closure, and started in on the flamethrower housing box. I couldnt use the one Will sent me, it wasnt large enough for the fire unit. Without much thought, I started cutting ABS. This box build was a shot from the hip build. I didn't have much in mind when I started.

    unnamed5-jpg


    Some assembly.

    unnamed6-jpgunnamed4-jpg

    And a temporary attach.
    unnamed1-jpgunnamed3-jpg


    Hinge and magnet top so I can access the fire unit. This was originally going to be on the bottom, but the top works better for accessing the unit.

    unnamed2-jpg


    And then this...
    ~[VIDEO][/VIDEO
    Last edited by MLS; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:37 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. Long time viewer, first time poster
    By Flecktarn92 in forum Introductions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Dec 26, 2013, 11:31 AM
  2. Long time lurker, first time poster
    By kevnaminute in forum Introductions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Jul 29, 2013, 5:30 PM
  3. Long time lurker, first time poster
    By intwenothor in forum Boba Fett Costume
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Mar 12, 2012, 11:14 AM
  4. Long time lurker, first time poster looking for some help
    By Lastditch in forum Boba Fett Costume
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Feb 24, 2012, 9:42 PM
  5. Long Time Lurker Finally Posting :P
    By Anduril in forum Introductions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Oct 13, 2009, 8:02 PM