Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Apr 2002
    Apr 14, 2005, 9:56 AM - MLC ESB Sidearm upgrade #1

My MLC sidearm is one of these items that I jumped at when it was first available just in case it wasn't around later, but then put away and never finished it.

Now I've pulled it back out again and painted it, but I'm just not satisfied with the whole thing. I have decided to have the barrel machined in aluminum- I drew up some specs in CorelDraw and sent them to the machinist yesterday. I expect to have the parts back by next week sometime- I'll post pictures as I go here:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mommyd...bum?.dir=/3be9

A couple of questions for the group:

1. Has anyone done this before?

2. Would anyone else be interested in a machined barrel from my machinist? (I'll of course have to let you know what the cost will be next week.)

It looks like the process of removing the old barrel may be a bit tricky- this thing is made VERY sturdy.

Mark
    Apr 14, 2005, 5:00 PM - Re: MLC ESB Sidearm upgrade #2

OH MY GOD.....I DO!!!! I posted a thread about this some time ago to NO avail. If you do it Mark,please update here as I would LOVE to have one if it's cost effective to do so. Machinists are notorious for wanting quantity of jobs to not "waste their time" ........at least around me they are like that.

I also think it will be work to get the FG barrel out of there,but a dremel with sanding drums might make quick work out of it and bondo any mistakes so an aluminum bueat. will slide right in.

I'll be anxiously awaiting any updates you might have

Steve
  3. Member Since
    Apr 2002
    Apr 14, 2005, 5:36 PM - Re: MLC ESB Sidearm upgrade #3

I'll put you down as 'interested'! I have a great machinist who will do these one-offs for me for very reasonable prices- it's rare to find that. I like to sell some duplicates for him like this when I can.

Mark

Quote DL44 Blaster said:
    OH MY GOD.....I DO!!!! I posted a thread about this some time ago to NO avail. If you do it Mark,please update here as I would LOVE to have one if it's cost effective to do so. Machinists are notorious for wanting quantity of jobs to not "waste their time" ........at least around me they are like that.

I also think it will be work to get the FG barrel out of there,but a dremel with sanding drums might make quick work out of it and bondo any mistakes so an aluminum bueat. will slide right in.

I'll be anxiously awaiting any updates you might have

Steve
  4. Member Since
    Apr 2002
    Apr 18, 2005, 6:33 PM - Re: MLC ESB Sidearm upgrade #4

The machined barrel arrived today and I couldn't wait to install it! There were three pieces that fit together perfectly. The whole assembly came out about 3/8" longer overall that is should be (my fault), but I don't mind the extra length. The real only problem is that the knurling on the end isn't straight- its slanted. I may send it back to the machinist to see if he can fix it. Other than that, its beautiful!

Installation:

Removing the fiberglass barrel elements was easier than expected. The hardest part was making sure that little bumps on the inside of the gun didn't obstruct the new barrel. It only took about a half-hour to do all the work, but you may have to have a flexable-shaft attachment for your dremel to make it possible.

I still need to do some touch-ups and detail on the paintjob, but you can see what it looks like:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mommyd...lbum?.dir=3be9

If anyone is interested, I can get more barrels made for $75 each plus shipping.

Mark
    Apr 18, 2005, 7:10 PM - Re: MLC ESB Sidearm upgrade #5

OHHHH MAN....I'm on this one Mark Put me down for one bud....On the next batch will the 3/8" be shaved off and the knurling straight? Otherwise it looks fantastic and JUST what that gun needed. I love aluminum accents on props. It gives so much more realism.

The removal looks easier than expected. I wasn't sure if it was hollow or not.

Steve
  6. Member Since
    Apr 2002
    Apr 18, 2005, 7:39 PM - Re: MLC ESB Sidearm upgrade #6

Quote DL44 Blaster said:
    OHHHH MAN....I'm on this one Mark Put me down for one bud....On the next batch will the 3/8" be shaved off and the knurling straight? Otherwise it looks fantastic and JUST what that gun needed. I love aluminum accents on props. It gives so much more realism.

The removal looks easier than expected. I wasn't sure if it was hollow or not.

Steve
    Yes, I'm going to get both problems corrected.

Now I'm trying to decide if I should full the handle with resin to balance out the weight of the barrel. I hate adding weight to something I'm going to wear on a costume, but it would feel better when holding the pistol - now that it looks more real, it should 'feel' real, right?

Mark
    Apr 18, 2005, 7:45 PM - Re: MLC ESB Sidearm upgrade #7

Cool project! Great idea too!
    Apr 18, 2005, 7:54 PM - Re: MLC ESB Sidearm upgrade #8

Yeah, thats pretty wild. Keep us updated on how it progresses. Might be interested in this

Damian
    Apr 18, 2005, 10:21 PM - Re: MLC ESB Sidearm upgrade #9

ahh man! that looks beautiful. add me to the list.
  10. Member Since
    Aug 2003
    Apr 19, 2005, 6:56 PM - Re: MLC ESB Sidearm upgrade #10

Count me in!
  11. Member Since
    Apr 2002
    May 3, 2005, 8:34 PM - Re: MLC ESB Sidearm upgrade #11

My machinist is ready to go on a run of these, so if anyone is interested, please jump on board now. The cost is $75 plus shipping- we can call it $79 to make things easy- that should cover priority mail shipping to anywhere in the US or regular shipping to Canada. PM me for a paypal or snail-mail address. It should take him about a week to do these once payment is received. Thanks!

Mark
    Jun 5, 2005, 10:25 PM - Re: MLC ESB Sidearm upgrade #12

Nice addition to our MLC Sidearm!

-Rex
    Jun 10, 2005, 1:10 PM - Re: MLC ESB Sidearm upgrade #13

Where do you get the pistol part of the set??? This side arm looks great! I want one!
    Jun 10, 2005, 1:46 PM - Re: MLC ESB Sidearm upgrade #14

look up one post b4 your and you will find yer answer
    /\ /\
    l l
    l l
    l l
    l l
    l
    l
    l
    l
    Jun 10, 2005, 2:24 PM - Re: MLC ESB Sidearm upgrade #15

Ahhh sorry I am a new newbie. Whats MLC? PM me someone please. Thanks Alot!
    Jun 16, 2005, 9:07 PM - Re: MLC ESB Sidearm upgrade #16

That turned out fantastic!!!

JK3