Subscribe
    May 25, 2013, 12:11 AM - McQuarrie Fett style proto blaster - WIP buildup #1

I wasn't exactly sure where to put this thread so I just opted for here, hope that's ok!
    So since I decided that I really wanted to make up one of these for myself (and I wanted to have one for display at local shops and for an upcoming con), I decided to make up this little tutorial/wip for everyone (who's interested) to see how these bad boys go together (I'll also probably do a youtube video tutorial as well at some point)
    Here's the statue that this weapon is based on

And the blueprints I came up with for it

So here we go -
    Raw kit as it gets sent out

Cleaning up the sprues

Some filing

Followed by sanding

All smoothed out and then repeat for the other 2

Next I start sanding the seam lines along the corner edges

Then some surface sanding with 320 to prep for primer

Now to clean out the stock bracket hole a bit for extra space for some adhesive and to allow for some play to set it in

Next up drill the hole for the muzzle cone

Now for some glazing putty (or putty of your choice)

Applied thinly with an exacto in spots where needed

Mixing up the Devcon and applying it to the cone hole

Set up and trim any excess adhesive before it gets too hard

I'll let this set over night
    Up next, sand the putty and any final touch up sanding before primer...stay tuned!
    May 25, 2013, 2:06 AM - Re: McQuarrie Fett style proto blaster - WIP buildup #2

It looks great, Will! Nice and crisp!
    May 25, 2013, 11:03 AM - Re: McQuarrie Fett style proto blaster - WIP buildup #3

Thanks Rafa! I'm gonna try and get this primed up today and maybe even start painting tonight
    May 25, 2013, 11:41 PM - McQuarrie Fett style proto blaster - WIP buildup #4

Man I love this, can not wait to get one and add it to my suit!
    Quote Quote Posted from iOS app
    May 26, 2013, 11:43 PM - Re: McQuarrie Fett style proto blaster - WIP buildup #5

Got some more progress to share on this project
    Finished priming with dark auto primer

Sand all around with 320 grit

Next did some wet sanding with 600 grit

All ready for airbrushing

Standard acrylic flat black

All finished up in black

After that I masked off the top ridge for the silver - this was a real pain BTW, took me about 10 minutes lol

Up next silver

Tape removed

Some detail shots

Dry fit for final assembly

That's it for now, I have most of the brunt of the work behind me. Tomorrow will pretty much just be final assembly and weathering
    May 27, 2013, 1:26 AM - Re: McQuarrie Fett style proto blaster - WIP buildup #6

Simply... beautiful!
    May 27, 2013, 1:54 AM - Re: McQuarrie Fett style proto blaster - WIP buildup #7

Thanks again Rafa! Can't wait to get to weathering this and finish it up
  8. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    May 27, 2013, 11:39 AM - Re: McQuarrie Fett style proto blaster - WIP buildup #8

Will if you go with the light grey auto pimer you can see the imperfections you need to fill better...being the holes will be shadowy areas. Keep up the good work.
    May 27, 2013, 8:40 PM - Re: McQuarrie Fett style proto blaster - WIP buildup #9

Thanks for the tip Dom! I'll definitely keep that in mind for the next one
    May 29, 2013, 12:09 AM - Re: McQuarrie Fett style proto blaster - WIP buildup #10

Here's the last batch of pics and I'm probably gonna call this one done. Enjoy!

11. Member Since
    Oct 2012
    May 29, 2013, 12:14 AM - Re: McQuarrie Fett style proto blaster - WIP buildup #11

Very cool stuff!
    May 29, 2013, 11:01 AM - Re: McQuarrie Fett style proto blaster - WIP buildup #12

Thanks Necro!
    Aug 20, 2013, 2:40 AM - Re: McQuarrie Fett style proto blaster - WIP buildup #13

So I finally got around to start working on a display for this thing...it's been lying on the carpet for a few months now since I finished it. I must say, having it displayed (and doing it properly) really makes a world of difference and I'm glad I took the time to work on this. I was thinking about how to display it since I didn't really like the way my lousy wooden stand came out for my Aurra Sing pistol case, so I decided to go about this a different way for a more minimalistic and cleaner approach and...surprise, surprise - magnets to the rescue! I just have to go and get some clear 1/4" inch acrylic to make the cover, but that's a piece of cake, I just wanted to get the base out of the way tonight and I'm pretty happy with it. (Think I'll go back and do my AS pistol the same)
    Enjoy!

This was an unexpected pleasant side effect of installing only one magnet

14. Member Since
    Apr 2013
    Aug 21, 2013, 7:04 PM - Re: McQuarrie Fett style proto blaster - WIP buildup #14

Wow the level of work in the detail is amazing , the paint job looks awesome too. I've always loved the McQuarrie Boba
    Aug 22, 2013, 4:00 AM - Re: McQuarrie Fett style proto blaster - WIP buildup #15

Thanks Plastik, appreciate the kind words. I do have plans to pursue the armor in the future
  16. Member Since
    Jan 2013
    Sep 9, 2013, 8:15 PM - Re: McQuarrie Fett style proto blaster - WIP buildup #16

That looks real nice man. Thats definitely a version id love to do some day.
    Sep 10, 2013, 10:27 PM - Re: McQuarrie Fett style proto blaster - WIP buildup #17

Thanks Gav, appreciate that
    Same here bro, absolutely love this costume. Hopefully I can get around to sculpting it one day
  18. Member Since
    Jan 2013
    Sep 11, 2013, 8:23 AM - Re: McQuarrie Fett style proto blaster - WIP buildup #18

If you do and replicate I'm 100% in!