Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    Jan 26, 2013, 11:28 PM - Re: Matty's ESB Display Build Thread #126

Gah! What happened?!
    Jan 27, 2013, 3:44 PM - Re: Matty's ESB Display Build Thread #127

oh no!!!!! i have already taken everything off the dummy for fear it would tip. hope it isn't as bad as it seems captain
    Jan 27, 2013, 4:23 PM - Re: Matty's ESB Display Build Thread #128

Matty Matt:

Nice work. The bottom of the side piece on your right gauntlet, I think you refer to it as the whip cord housing...is the white paint there screen accurate? That part on gauntlet is black, but I would update it if knew it should be white. Thanks
    Jan 27, 2013, 7:24 PM - Re: Matty's ESB Display Build Thread #129

My son accidentally knocked it over playing hide and seek. All in all I was very lucky. No major damage, just a lot of little stuff I can fix. Actually, a lot of it is already repaired. That's one good thing about doing as much as you can yourself. You know exactly how everything was put together and what paints were used. The helmet got some long scrapes on the dome, but luckily they were just in the finish and I was able to buff them out. The blaster lost a few pieces but they were an easy fix. The jetpack got a little banged up but I think I can touch up the paint and be ok. I'll be securing it to the wall from now on.

Quote SPY007 said: View Post
    Matty Matt:

Nice work. The bottom of the side piece on your right gauntlet, I think you refer to it as the whip cord housing...is the white paint there screen accurate? That part on gauntlet is black, but I would update it if knew it should be white. Thanks
    For some reason I thought it was white like the top, but I can't find any pics that show it either way...so I don't really know. Does anyone else know? I know the inside part behind the round thing is white, which is something some guys miss.
    Jan 27, 2013, 9:15 PM - Re: Matty's ESB Display Build Thread #130

Oh, and when I took the pics of the girth belt I forgot my camera was set to "neutral". Raf mentioned something about it not looking red enough, which I agree with. Here is the same belt on three different settings:

The bottom photo is closest to how it really looks. I think if I make it anymore red it's going to be too red, so I'll probably just leave it. I just wanted to show how different the colors can look depending on how the photo is taken. Even the reference pics vary greatly and I think it's important not to get hung up on certain ones.
    Jan 28, 2013, 1:28 AM - Re: Matty's ESB Display Build Thread #131

Quote SPY007 said: View Post
    Matty Matt:

That is correct! And the bottom of housing under the tube is also white:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ESB White On Right Gauntlet.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	149.1 KB 
ID:	66902

Matty, sorry to hear about the suit accident, but I'm glad that you already managed to repair most of the damages with your building and painting talent. Keep up the great work!
    Jan 28, 2013, 1:39 AM - Re: Matty's ESB Display Build Thread #132

Thanks guys. Time to out the white paint.
    Feb 7, 2013, 8:24 PM - Re: Matty's ESB Display Build Thread #133

Someone wanted to know how I made the head for my mannequin, so here is what it looks like. I lined my helmet with a plastic bag and filled it up about halfway with expanding foam. This makes a perfect fit. Then I just covered it with duct tape and stuck it on a metal pole with some glue. I cut the other end of the pole at an angle so it had a sharp point, and just stuck it down through the neck and into the torso. It swivels from side to side and the helmet is completely posable. I can even raise or lower the height.

Feb 7, 2013, 10:22 PM - Re: Matty's ESB Display Build Thread #134

You are one ingenious dude Matty. Nice use of the foam.
    Feb 8, 2013, 3:35 AM - Re: Matty's ESB Display Build Thread #135

I love coming into this thread and seeing new progress...very inspiring work my friend. Keep those pics coming.
    Feb 8, 2013, 1:50 PM - Re: Matty's ESB Display Build Thread #136

Awesome work man! How do you refrain yourself from wearing it around everywhere? lol
    Feb 9, 2013, 1:02 AM - Re: Matty's ESB Display Build Thread #137

Best build thread on TDH
    Feb 9, 2013, 7:59 PM - Re: Matty's ESB Display Build Thread #138

Quote Jc27 said: View Post
    You are one ingenious dude Matty. Nice use of the foam.
    Thank you sir. Where in PA are you? Always curious about people in my neck of the woods.

Quote redkraytdragon said: View Post
    I love coming into this thread and seeing new progress...very inspiring work my friend. Keep those pics coming.
    I'll keep the pics coming as long as you guys keep lookin'. I'm just trying to do your armor some justice with my paintwork. I think you'll be pleased with my ESB gauntlet conversion...just have to figure out that **** flamethrower. I really don't want to scratchbuild one!

Quote NoahFett said: View Post
    Awesome work man! How do you refrain yourself from wearing it around everywhere? lol
    You guys might hate me for this, but I've never actually put it on, lol.

Quote sausagemahoney said: View Post
    Best build thread on TDH
    I don't know man. We haven't seen yours yet. Post some pics already!!
    Feb 10, 2013, 12:38 AM - Re: Matty's ESB Display Build Thread #139

I'm in erie, are you going to the Philly comic con in may?
    Feb 17, 2013, 7:46 PM - Re: Matty's ESB Display Build Thread #140

Quote Jc27 said: View Post
    I'm in erie, are you going to the Philly comic con in may?
    No, I don't think I'll make it. Are you going? That's a heck of a long ride if you are!
    Feb 17, 2013, 7:53 PM - Re: Matty's ESB Display Build Thread #141

So I bought some posable wooden hands with the idea that they would save me a lot of work. Not so much. The fingers were way too close together, like pressing up against each other close. And the joints were real loose, which I kind of expected. But with some mods I think I can make them work. I broke off the fingers and set them farther apart into "blaster position" with metal wire.

And just for fun...

17. Member Since
    Oct 2012
    Feb 18, 2013, 12:32 AM - Re: Matty's ESB Display Build Thread #142

I finished attaching my poseable mannequin hands to my new mannequin ($139 with a stand) last weekend. I 100% agree with you on the fingers being WAYY too close together! If they were just angled outward even the tiniest bit...
  18. Member Since
    Feb 2013
    Feb 18, 2013, 3:02 AM - Re: Matty's ESB Display Build Thread #143

Quote Matty Matt said: View Post
    The duct tape method my friend. Very simple:

Put on some old clothes you don't want anymore. The tighter the better.
    Get someone (my wife in my case) to completely wrap you in duct tape from ankles to neck.
    Be prepared to be made fun of and possibly have a panic attack.
    Cut off the clothes with scissors in one big long cut (if possible).
    Tape up the incision on your weird duct tape skin suit.
    Fill the suit with expanding foam. I put 4 ft. wood dowels through the legs for support (they run from the ankles up into the body).

I used almost two rolls of tape. Home Depot sells decent size rolls for about $3. It's not the best but it doesn't matter. The most expensive part is the foam. I think I used about six cans at $5 a piece. There may be a cheaper alternative. Now, I know what people are thinking, "but you can just buy a store mannequin for about $100." That's true, but this thing is my exact build/size, and you can make it any pose you want very easily. It's very rigid and seems to be working fine. Time will tell how it holds up.
    That's awesome! I was going to ask if no one else did. Gonna give this a go this weekend!
    Feb 19, 2013, 7:39 PM - Re: Matty's ESB Display Build Thread #144

****, this thing looks good
    Feb 19, 2013, 8:41 PM - Re: Matty's ESB Display Build Thread #145

I really like what you did with the hands. Can't wait to see this fully set up.
    Feb 24, 2013, 8:53 PM - Re: Matty's ESB Display Build Thread #146

Thanks guys.

After a little more work I ended up with two arms with posable hands and fingers. Still working on getting them attached correctly. I'm using pvc fittings to attach them to the body but I have to go back to the hardware store to get some more to extend the upper arm. But all in all it's coming together.

Feb 25, 2013, 2:19 AM - Re: Matty's ESB Display Build Thread #147

Brilliant dude
    Feb 25, 2013, 2:52 PM - Re: Matty's ESB Display Build Thread #148

Fantasic Build Matty,Dont know what part i like the most as its all amazing, you are a true artist
  24. Member Since
    Jul 2009
    Feb 26, 2013, 8:32 PM - Re: Matty's ESB Display Build Thread #149

Ive got to say that your Fett is absolutelly beautiful....I came across your thread and was like "wow". And I thought mine was good lol.
    Feb 26, 2013, 8:49 PM - Re: Matty's ESB Display Build Thread #150

It looks great. What green did you use on the armor? (if you don't mind me asking)