I've been in the midst of a bathroom remodel and veterinary issues, so my prop building has slowed a lot.
I'm coming out of the hole, and have started working on my new gauntlets!
This is them, right out of the box:
Filler / sanding was all done, so they were basically ready to rock. One thing I really liked was the use of caulking for the seam at the flame thrower, rather than putty/bondo. Stays flexible, and won't chip out over time.
As for mods, I removed the molded in dental expander and flame thrower buttons, to be replaced with other stuff that I have waiting.
I didn't take pics of the primer. We've all seen primer. Grey. Uninteresting.
Here they are, painted silver, shown next to my Ruffkintoys gauntlets for size comparison:
The liquid masking I did in bed at 3 in the morning, so no pics. I used latex masking fluid, and the MoM fett reference pics on this site.
and a shot in direct sunlight to get a better feel for the true color:
I tried something new with the paint, and am really happy with it. Rustoleum America's Finest Claret Wine comes recommended in a lot of places. It's decent, but WAY too red.
It also covers like ****. It usually takes 3-4 coats for your stuff to not look pink.
Once I masked these, I painted them flat black, then misted layers of the Claret Wine satin over it until I got the look I wanted. The black base made SUCH a difference!
Still do do: switches and buttons, LED, closing mechanism (thinking magnets), padding and some hand painting, then weathering.
The rocket is either psberetta or russrep. I think the former, but I forget. Cast metal dental expander that I got from fettpride a while back. Real MQ-1 keypad. psberetta darts.
So far, so good! These gauntlets are geat! Totally worth the wait!