Looking for scope help

Those are good points. I know absolutely nothing about manufacturing, so I can;t really give you proper feedback on those theories... :facepalm It's really difficult to see, but look at how the from "face" of the piece continues unbroken from the trapezoidal shape straight into the clamp section. That's the main reason that I still believe at least that part is a one-piece construction. the squarish shape that's between the "body" and the top "strap" part may or may not be part of that, but there's no way for me to know.

Heres an avi on how I think it goes together. Or at least close (some of the shapes could be off, but id place money that this is really close to the mechanics of it).

The silver would be black metal, but I wanted to illustrate the two pieces.
http://www.starwarsuniverse.com/clamp.avi

Hopefully someday the person that says they 'know what it is and have one' will shed some light on it:)

Could be, it is hard to see a line separating the two shapes in the pictures we've seen so far.

I got the clamp samples from EFC, they are too small for the webley barrel and the groove for the center tab makes up almost the entire clamp circumference when held at full open, that isn't seen in the pictures.

Painted all black you wouldnt see the seperation at all. Because it would have to be really pricise to give stability. Any gap would compromise it exponentially.

I have yet to see the proper clamp, but im going to measure my webley tonight, and order some samples from a site I found online. Its got two tabs on one side and one on the other, so its not the same as this one, but it will be close.

Im building my own clamps and riser atm. ill post what i end up with.

That AVI is cool Storm! One thing though is on that model the trapezoidal section looks too tall. If that's just for illustrative purposes ignore this :lol:

Those look good stormrider! Great searching, I've seen so many clamps this week :lol:

I'm not sure if it's the right part (I still think it might be all one piece) but it definitely deserves to be followed up. I contacted that supplier and they only have the clamps with a max expanded diameter of 42.42mm in stock, the larger 45mm ones are obsolete. They have a minimum order of 1900 :eek: but would work with a minimum of 500. I didn't get into cost.

They offered to send me samples. I'll do that and we can see what they look like.

So 42.42 wont go around the barrell?

Last edited by a moderator:
Heres my 20 minute PVC clamp.
pvcclamp.jpg

The distance in the bracket greatly depends on the size of tube and bracket. Because this is stretched a lot, it shows a lot of indention.

If it were bigger, it would show very little. But notice the top picture you dont see any indention? Well its there. which I think is what you see on the esb photo, somewhat.

This thing was made in 20 mins with a dremel. Its probably close to what ill go with.

Look at the pic Art posted in post#5 The front clamp sits on the flash tube and it doesn't look like there is anything between the ends of the "clamp" such as the indentation of a spring clamp. That said it's a great looking quick mock up!

The 42.42mm is the maximum opening of the clamp and pulling it that far open distorts the clamp out of being a proper circle making it impossible to fit around the end of the webley, add to that it would need to sit at the thickest part of barrel, beyond the limits of the clamp, it wasn't going to work. I can get it around the flash tube and take a picture if it would help illustrate what I mean.

Another problem with the spring clamp is at full open sprung the clamp is almost entirely either a thin strip on one side or a dual strip of steel on the other. Its hard to see any evidence of that in the pictures we've seen.

I don't know. I don't see the notch on the "clamp" band on the actual blaster. The difference in the spread between the front and back tabs makes it seem like it's a clamp with tabs but wouldn't it have a notched band as yours does to allow the compression if it was a clamp?

looks good M2, one question...could the clamp you got there in the pic be modified to where the bottoms acutally come together? to make just "1" piece on the bottom? shortened maybe? to make those little tabs meet right at the bottom of the barrel?

yup. It could be on backwards. it could be a non overlapping clamp that is spring steel. Its just a c, and the ends are together. and its supposed to have a screw in it to open it. And not be an overlapping c.

Could be a tun of things. It could have been put on, and then the clamp 'filled' visually so you dont see its a clamp. It could also be painted to give a different visual effect.

*shrug*

Im sure this isnt 100% acurate, but I think its pretty close. Im gonna cut some spring steel clamps and see:)

The clamps coming together would depend how much 'overlap' you cut into it. In this case, i cut like3 3/4 inch overlap. If it were 5/8ths it would probably line up perfect. Or a different size tube with different properties.

I have another idea today too:) and the mount building supplies i ordered should be there today.

but we will see:)

looks good M2, one question...could the clamp you got there in the pic be modified to where the bottoms acutally come together? to make just "1" piece on the bottom? shortened maybe? to make those little tabs meet right at the bottom of the barrel?

It's a frustratingly complex mystery. The tabs look different front to back too. Are the front tabs knobs? I'm sure yours will be close enough for my M2 blaster :)D ) but it would be so nice to know what the original was.

And to note, we havent seen many photos much clearer than this. which clearly hides the indention on one, and makes the tab a single piece on the other.

And I took these pics to SHOW detail.

Lastly. if the bottom pic was flipped over, there would be no indention in the bracket seen.
blur.jpg

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back