Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Subscribe
    Jan 28, 2009, 12:04 PM - Re: Looking for scope help #51

Dumb question. anyone ever gone through the rivell engine kit to see if this piece, or part of it is in there?

Jan 31, 2009, 2:24 PM - Re: Looking for scope help #52

Wanted to show the same scope slid up, to show how it gives the appearance of '1' tab because of barrell size difference.

Jan 31, 2009, 2:35 PM - Re: Looking for scope help #53

Quote SaxeCoburg said: View Post
    I don't know. I don't see the notch on the "clamp" band on the actual blaster. The difference in the spread between the front and back tabs makes it seem like it's a clamp with tabs but wouldn't it have a notched band as yours does to allow the compression if it was a clamp?
  4. FettDad is offline FettDad
    Jan 31, 2009, 2:42 PM - Re: Looking for scope help #54

could that gap be on the other side of the blaster's barrel? like, the clamp was put on the other way?
  5. FettDad is offline FettDad
    Jan 31, 2009, 2:43 PM - Re: Looking for scope help #55

looks good M2, one question...could the clamp you got there in the pic be modified to where the bottoms acutally come together? to make just "1" piece on the bottom? shortened maybe? to make those little tabs meet right at the bottom of the barrel?
    Jan 31, 2009, 2:45 PM - Re: Looking for scope help #56

yup. It could be on backwards. it could be a non overlapping clamp that is spring steel. Its just a c, and the ends are together. and its supposed to have a screw in it to open it. And not be an overlapping c.

Could be a tun of things. It could have been put on, and then the clamp 'filled' visually so you dont see its a clamp. It could also be painted to give a different visual effect.

*shrug*

Im sure this isnt 100% acurate, but I think its pretty close. Im gonna cut some spring steel clamps and see
    Jan 31, 2009, 2:47 PM - Re: Looking for scope help #57

The clamps coming together would depend how much 'overlap' you cut into it. In this case, i cut like3 3/4 inch overlap. If it were 5/8ths it would probably line up perfect. Or a different size tube with different properties.

I have another idea today too and the mount building supplies i ordered should be there today.

but we will see

Quote FettDad said: View Post
    looks good M2, one question...could the clamp you got there in the pic be modified to where the bottoms acutally come together? to make just "1" piece on the bottom? shortened maybe? to make those little tabs meet right at the bottom of the barrel?
  8. FettDad is offline FettDad
    Jan 31, 2009, 2:48 PM - Re: Looking for scope help #58

how did i know you had an answer for me...??
    Jan 31, 2009, 2:52 PM - Re: Looking for scope help #59

It's a frustratingly complex mystery. The tabs look different front to back too. Are the front tabs knobs? I'm sure yours will be close enough for my M2 blaster ( ) but it would be so nice to know what the original was.
    Jan 31, 2009, 2:53 PM - Re: Looking for scope help #60

And to note, we havent seen many photos much clearer than this. which clearly hides the indention on one, and makes the tab a single piece on the other.

And I took these pics to SHOW detail.

Lastly. if the bottom pic was flipped over, there would be no indention in the bracket seen.
    Jan 31, 2009, 2:55 PM - Re: Looking for scope help #61

Quote shabad said: View Post
    It's a frustratingly complex mystery. The tabs look different front to back too. Are the front tabs knobs? I'm sure yours will be close enough for my M2 blaster ( ) but it would be so nice to know what the original was.
    Personally i think they put 'innertube caps' on them to hide the flaps.

Thats what they look like to me in photos.
    Jan 31, 2009, 2:56 PM - Re: Looking for scope help #62

Right now im looking for something 'thinner' than pvc to make them from. im going to home depot in like 20 minutes
    Jan 31, 2009, 3:00 PM - Re: Looking for scope help #63

Quote Stormrider said: View Post
    Personally i think they put 'innertube caps' on them to hide the flaps.

Thats what they look like to me in photos.
    Yes! Exactly like that.
    Jan 31, 2009, 3:03 PM - Re: Looking for scope help #64

Will you have the front clamp around the flash tube or the barrel? This is really directed towards your build thread but is only really relevant in the midst of this conversation - so forgive the off-topic everyone else.
    Jan 31, 2009, 3:08 PM - Re: Looking for scope help #65

Id say they go on the barrell right? Ive never seena photo elsewhere. But again, ive been doing this for a year now. im not near as knowledgeble as a lot of others.

I planned the mounts to go on the front,a nd rear of the barrell.

The way im making the scope, they should have some leway.

Im confident i can get one of the nicest scope/mount/greeble kits to date in kit form.

Thats because I eat my wheeties.
    Jan 31, 2009, 3:11 PM - Re: Looking for scope help #66

Art's picture shows it really looks like it's mounted on the flash tube.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Executor-Bridge-10.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	293.5 KB 
ID:	31341  
  17. FettDad is offline FettDad
    Jan 31, 2009, 4:49 PM - Re: Looking for scope help #67

i think the front mount is on the tube...that is how a few other kits have the mounts done...now, that may not be correct, but i know from my other kit the smaller, front mount was indeed on the flash tube...
    Jan 31, 2009, 5:24 PM - Re: Looking for scope help #68

I think your right. I missed that, but I missed it because it supports my thinking.

If you look closley at this pic, something is between it. And its not on perfect plane.
    Ill have to re-adjust the way im doing this, but I think that that actually helps me. A TUN WOOT
    youll see tomorrow

Jan 31, 2009, 5:37 PM - Re: Looking for scope help #69

Ok so next question is the only set of clamps I have seen in person, are greebled on on side, as in th pic, and no greebles on the other. Wouldnt you think it would be symmetrical.

Also. this looks like two diffrent metals to me. (The pics above. the part is a little different than everyone thinks if this pic is acurate. )

So heres what this pic shows in 3d.

Reason being is the lin that goes up the clamp, does NOT perfectly trapezoid into the bracket. Its more u shaped than perfedt y shaped.

Now. the most interesting thing to note, is the molex is almost vertical. yet the clamp is at an angle where you can see it.

I think that shape is a piston arm. I really do
    Jan 31, 2009, 5:59 PM - Re: Looking for scope help #70

This part is the scope ring mount.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scope mount.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	137.5 KB 
ID:	31342  
    Jan 31, 2009, 6:20 PM - Re: Looking for scope help #71

I can concede that, but the mount is definitally at a differnt angle than the lower part.

The angle of the mount as it leave the upper half of the clamp, to where it goes into where it attaches to the actual mount, is 2 angles, not just a pyramid with a flat top.
    Jan 31, 2009, 6:30 PM - Re: Looking for scope help #72

Maybe, but in this image the molex seem to match the angle of the "trapezoid" in this one. I think more photo reference is needed.

And SaxeCoburg's breakdown still seems right on.

Feb 2, 2009, 7:22 PM - Re: Looking for scope help #73

The rear mount is an A, the front mount is absolutely not. It has two angles.

If you follow the line of the circle clamp. and draw it to the top, where the scope ring mounts attach, there is NO possible way its an A shape.

Im convinced that not only are they fabricated parts, they are different front to back.

Ive seen a pic of the rear, with the molex off, and its a straight line A block, but the front, is not.

That being said, im not ready to fabricate the front differently. So for now, this is the way Im making my mounts.

Feb 2, 2009, 7:50 PM - Re: Looking for scope help #74

Great job, it looks closer than we have seen for a scratch build which is fantastic for your run of blasters - I'll happily get a set for my stormrider trooping blaster and maybe one for my replica blaster too but eventually, hopefully, we'll still find the original part.
    Feb 3, 2009, 11:05 AM - Re: Looking for scope help #75

I actually like two things for the front clamp.
    This:

And this on the antique lights, which would be somethign they would almost certainly take apart to make the mount.

Ive seen all shapes and sizes of these in person, and some are a really close match, with a shape cut for the inner space.