Subscribe
    2 Weeks Ago - Jan 10, 2015, 10:20 PM - Looking for feedback/ criticism ESB & ROTJ wookiee scalps #1

Ive looked at gallery images for the scalps that Julie & Woodman have made. Tried to mimic the colors and styles. Would love some criticism and or feedback on these. I wanted to offer horse hair, but I need a supply that is readily available. Horse hair just isnt one for me. So, synthetic materials were used. The main issue im having is with the ROTJ black braid. Whereas mine is braided with a strand of blonde, it seems that the black was bleached laterally for the effect, rather than braided in. Could someone point out the differences in (IF THERE ARE ANY) between the ESB promo & ESB hero, and the differences between Rotj & Rotj SE?

ESB
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150110_220339.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	83961

Name:	20150110_220426.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	83962

ROTJ

Name:	20150110_220532.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	83963

Name:	20150110_220609.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	83964
    2 Weeks Ago - Jan 11, 2015, 7:43 AM - #2

There are a wealth of differences between ROTJ, ROTJ SE. I've spent a long time developing and studying them. You still have quite a way to go with these.
    Quote Quote Posted from Android app
    2 Weeks Ago - Jan 11, 2015, 4:55 PM - Re: Looking for feedback/ criticism ESB & ROTJ wookiee scalps #3

Thank you for your informative, constructive criticism Woody. I'll be responding to the PM you sent shorty...

Anyone else?
    1 Week Ago - Jan 14, 2015, 9:01 PM - Re: Looking for feedback/ criticism ESB & ROTJ wookiee scalps #4

MLS. You can buy inexpensive hair extensions/weavings at beauty supply shops that look more realistic than what you have. I found some at Sally Beauty Supply, but they did not have the right grey color. Many people think the actual prop braids were made from horse hair. Some of the braids have curls on them. Yours look a bit too much like yarn, but you have a good start. Here is a shot of mine. Also, you can buy colored embroider thread very cheap for the wraps. And look for Rafel Fett's templates. He shows all the variations from costume to costume.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RGauntlet.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	138.8 KB 
ID:	84085  
    Last edited by SPY007; 1 Week Ago at 9:10 PM.
    1 Week Ago - Jan 15, 2015, 7:01 PM - Re: Looking for feedback/ criticism ESB & ROTJ wookiee scalps #5

Quote SPY007 said: View Post
    MLS. You can buy inexpensive hair extensions/weavings at beauty supply shops that look more realistic than what you have. I found some at Sally Beauty Supply, but they did not have the right grey color. Many people think the actual prop braids were made from horse hair. Some of the braids have curls on them. Yours look a bit too much like yarn, but you have a good start. Here is a shot of mine. Also, you can buy colored embroider thread very cheap for the wraps. And look for Rafel Fett's templates. He shows all the variations from costume to costume.
    Excellent. I'll have a look this weekend.
    I hadnt seen Rafel Fett's braid templates. Def gonna have a look at those. I had read somewhere before that the originals were horsehair, but switched to synthetic halfway through esb when they started to fall apart. So i guess I'll give these another shot and look for some more feedback. Also, ive been making esb and rotj caoes for a few years now, as well as customs for mercs... so I'll look for more feedback on the fetts here soon.