Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Subscribe
    Sep 30, 2008, 4:47 PM - Let's start an "Official" Flamethrower thread #1

Hey all!

IN light of Art's thread with the shoulder studs, let's rip apart the ESB flame thrower! As new pix seem to surface, I start to notice things I have never noticed, mostly because as Art said, people have a tendency to take what's "generally accepted" as what's "correct". Having seen a lot of machined aluminum pieces, largely based on the Marmitt Fett doll, some details seem to be blurred. Naturally all the ESB reference is fairly poor, but in light of the new HD grabs, I've notice some things. For instance, the bottom part appears to be black, with white square "buttons" The 3 wires coming out I'd believed were white, red and black. Now it looks like they might be red, white, red. The middle section has been accepted to have three "steps" however I'm now thinking two. The base plate has been acepted to be black, now I'm thinking it looks silver or white in some pics!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails esb_hd_015_marked-png   esb_hd_074_marked-png  
    Sep 30, 2008, 5:39 PM - Re: Let's start an "Official" Flamethrower thread #2

the "wires"are silver/red/silver.
    the plate that holds the unit is black on the top half and white on the lower imo.
    Sep 30, 2008, 5:45 PM - Re: Let's start an "Official" Flamethrower thread #3

volkerc said: View Post
    the "wires"are silver/red/silver.
    the plate that holds the unit is black on the top half and white on the lower imo.
    Woz just about to say that!

Another detail is the "direction" (for lack of a better term) of the wires. I've seen many different configurations on fan-made gauntlets, which is understandable since it's darn hard to find decent pics of the actual flame unit. But they seem to lead from the upper part of the flamethrower and go diagonally downward before disappearing into the gaunt.
    Sep 30, 2008, 5:48 PM - Re: Let's start an "Official" Flamethrower thread #4

Oddball Fett said: View Post
    But they seem to lead from the upper part of the flamethrower
    Correction, NOT the upper part of the back. They look even across the back.
    Oct 1, 2008, 10:02 AM - Re: Let's start an "Official" Flamethrower thread #5

I agree taht the backing plate is silver. I've had mine that way for years!!
    D
    Oct 1, 2008, 10:43 AM - Re: Let's start an "Official" Flamethrower thread #6

There's clear evidence that it is in fact two-tone, as Volker suggests. Look at both pics I posted, the top one shows clearly the plate bottom is silver/white. The second pic shows the top edges of the plate appearing black.
  7. Spideyfett is offline Spideyfett
    Oct 1, 2008, 11:42 AM - Re: Let's start an "Official" Flamethrower thread #7

Guys...there's two plates...
    Oct 1, 2008, 12:19 PM - Re: Let's start an "Official" Flamethrower thread #8

My plate is black with silver weathering...does thet count
    Oct 1, 2008, 12:36 PM - Re: Let's start an "Official" Flamethrower thread #9

Whoa, Spidey... TWO plates!?!?! Since when??? What have you got to support that? That's the first I've heard of two plates. http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/images/smilies/eek.gif
    Oct 1, 2008, 12:36 PM - Re: Let's start an "Official" Flamethrower thread #10

Spideyfett said: View Post
    Guys...there's two plates...
    Hmm...I've not heard that before??? So a smaller black one that rests right below the flame unit, then a larger silver one underneath that extends out the bottom???
    Oct 1, 2008, 12:37 PM - Re: Let's start an "Official" Flamethrower thread #11

Whoa, Spidey... TWO plates!?!?! Since when??? What have you got to support that? That's the first I've heard of two plates.
    Oct 1, 2008, 12:44 PM - Re: Let's start an "Official" Flamethrower thread #12

i don't see any silver in those pics. when i compare the color on the plate to the end of the missile, the missile is silver, the plate looks as white as the white part of the gloves
    Oct 1, 2008, 12:47 PM - Re: Let's start an "Official" Flamethrower thread #13

Spidey! Spidey! Spidey!
    Oct 1, 2008, 1:01 PM - Re: Let's start an "Official" Flamethrower thread #14

volkerc said: View Post
    i don't see any silver in those pics. when i compare the color on the plate to the end of the missile, the missile is silver, the plate looks as white as the white part of the gloves
    Well, it looks like the same solor as the rest of the flamethrower to me???? Is the whole flamethrower white then??? Geeze, lots of silver vs white discussion lately!!!
  15. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Oct 1, 2008, 1:10 PM - Re: Let's start an "Official" Flamethrower thread #15

I think it's silver. Compare it to the white detail of the right gauntlet and they don't match up.

I don't see any evidence of a 2nd plate. If anyone has any, please let us know.
    Oct 1, 2008, 1:13 PM - Re: Let's start an "Official" Flamethrower thread #16

I see sliver...man, now I have to repaint mine...
    Oct 1, 2008, 1:16 PM - Re: Let's start an "Official" Flamethrower thread #17

Jango's kid said: View Post
    Well, it looks like the same solor as the rest of the flamethrower to me???? Is the whole flamethrower white then??? Geeze, lots of silver vs white discussion lately!!!
    no the entire flamethrower is not white.
    Geeze, i'm entitled to an opinion as everybody else. and to me it's white. considering that they used a black and white paint sheme on the right gauntlet, it would make sense to use the same on the left. proof me wrong if you can, if not everything remains speculation.
    Oct 1, 2008, 1:16 PM - Re: Let's start an "Official" Flamethrower thread #18

Cool..
    another lets discuss thread!
    Apart from the it's 2 plates comment on which I'd like to know more about Alex...

I see as Shinobi_Fett on the 2nd block that holds the forward sections of the flamethrower looks to have 2 steps and not three (pic attached) also I agree with volkerc's comment on the colour of the wires too...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails esb-bf-ft-2-jpg   esb-bf-ft-20-jpg  
  19. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Oct 1, 2008, 1:28 PM - Re: Let's start an "Official" Flamethrower thread #19

Man, to know that thing is silver makes me wonder why so many ESB Fetts painted it black for so long.
    Oct 1, 2008, 1:36 PM - Re: Let's start an "Official" Flamethrower thread #20

Also, anyone have some insight into the 2 vs. 3 "steps" on the middle piece of the flamethrower?

Ok, people replied faster than I did!

I have this shot, but not this clear... I notice new details every time! O
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails esb-bf-ft-20_marked-jpg  
    Last edited by Shinobi_Fett; Oct 1, 2008 at 1:48 PM.
    Oct 1, 2008, 1:41 PM - Re: Let's start an "Official" Flamethrower thread #21

Not really bruv, but from the pics I see a 2 stepped block?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails esb-bf-ft-2step-jpg  
    Oct 1, 2008, 1:55 PM - Re: Let's start an "Official" Flamethrower thread #22

The "REAL" question is, if it's a flame thrower, where is the fuel coming from without a hose or any other connections? LOL Just kidding. Great discussion so far!
    Oct 1, 2008, 1:58 PM - Re: Let's start an "Official" Flamethrower thread #23

never_ending_fett said: View Post
    The "REAL" question is, if it's a flame thrower, where is the fuel coming from without a hose or any other connections?
    Trust you to 'fuel' the fire...
  24. Spideyfett is offline Spideyfett
    Oct 1, 2008, 2:06 PM - Re: Let's start an "Official" Flamethrower thread #24

sorry guys...not in front of my personnal computer right now, so I can't explain this without pics really.. ..I will when I get home...

Basically the flame thrower itself is already mounted on a black plate (for lack of a better word), that black plate extends on the topside of the gauntlet...and sticks out, we see it all the time in most shots...it's basically one piece.

But if you look at the Black and White Kurtz photo, you will see that something makes an L shape against the inside of the Gauntlet and it's not Black, it's more toward the front of the guantlet, in the middle of the flame thrower rods and the gauntlet . (someone please post that pic)
    Well thats the Second plate and is what is flush with the Gauntlet, and is what the flame thrower sits on.. with the two pics that already have been posted it shows the White or Silver, whatever color, plate that the entire flamethrower sits on..and is seen on the screen shot Shinobi_Fett posted,,,,well that is what is making that L shape..it's the same plate..... two plates.

I know, not making any sense without better photos.......I'll post them I promise.
    Last edited by Spideyfett; Oct 1, 2008 at 2:18 PM.
  25. Spideyfett is offline Spideyfett
    Oct 1, 2008, 2:36 PM - Re: Let's start an "Official" Flamethrower thread #25

This picture... see the L shape....well thats the plate, and it runs down the side of the gauntlet and is what makes the White/ Silver plate that the Black plate of the Flame thrower sits on.....again I just pullled this pic from another thread so excuse the lack of good pics..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Spideyfett; Oct 2, 2008 at 5:43 PM.