kukis armor build

kukis armor build

hey guys ive been a bit slack posting up my build on here, so ill just post up what i have been putting on my own garrison board
    well, i was doing some more work on the boba today, well, i had to dust it all before i started!

i thought i would post some pics up on what i have been up to again

here is a pic of my gauntlets ready to paint red with the toothpaste already on there for weathering., but for the underside of the gauntlet there was hardly any weathering so i added a bit more into it.

heres the finished result, it doesnt look smooth where the toothpaste is on it, but once the desired color for the paint is reached i will wash off the toothpaste and the silver weathering will show through. i tried this paint on a plastic base and added a few coats before trying on the gauntlet, and after about 3 coats it comes to the right color. the paint is tamiya dark red. closest thing to the right color u can find in OZ.

for anyone interested here is some more links to my build fotos from a while ago
    http://s66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...making%20boba/

http://s66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...hest%20pieces/
    http://s66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...oba/backplate/
    http://s66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...primed%20pads/

Re: kukis armor build

finished painting the outside today, and waited for it to dry then started getting the toothpaste off, i must say it looks really good doing it this way its just like the paint has been worn off, well heres some fotos, i still have more toothpaste to find, i did it 2 times, then saw more toothpaste after that, after this, i have to stick on the calc pad, and the missile then mist it for some dirty weathering, and is complete

did some more work on the gauntlett today, did the black weathering, i made it pretty dark around the flame nozzles cos im sure it would get black around there

added the calc pad last night and painted the buttons the correct colors

let that dry for a while.(at least this oven heat is good for paint drying!)
    then i added the missile with this awesome glue

this glue is so tough, when its hardened it sticks marble and all sorts, i swear whatever u use it for, u will not break the glue once its set, you are more likely to break the part.

finished gaunt

for some reason on this shot it looks like there is a giant clean area, there isnt, after looking on here i went back out to check and thinking having to respray area, but it looks perfect, cant figure that one out!

so, next up maybe is the other gauntlet, there is a little suprise with the flame gauntlett i will show u guysonce the paint is all dry. i aded something in the flame box while i was building it, he hehe

well, did a bit more today, first off i started on painting the chest pieces yellow, for the middle coat,

here is a pic of the gauntlet i started painting the other day

going to have to sand it back to primer when its dry, with this chrome paint im using u have to put a fair bit on to make it nice and metallic looking, i oversprayed it a bit and bgot a lot of run in it.

while that was drying i got my shoulder pices and cut the velcro for the vest for it.

after attatching it and looking at the sizing to see if it looked alright.

i decided to put the rest of the stuff on to see how its starting to look

flightsuit

ammo belt,(put the pouches on here as i dont have girth belt yet)

fnished gaauntlet, knee opads and shin tools

one of the shin tools broke so i have coated it in resin and am letting it dry now, hopefully wont have to make a new one!!

From
    the blue mountains NSW Australia

hi mate love the kit so far where do you get the hinges i cant find any anywhere here i have been after the brass little ones i got the vac formed set of jedi guants so cant use any thing to heavy on them so i was going to hard glue and Velcro doing a custom for now but might do a fett just don't know what one

but cant wait for the membership pics when it's all done mate

i got the hinges from bunnings, they are called piano hinges, its one big long one, i just cut it down to fit the gauntlets.my gauntlets are vac formed too, ruffkin, i just fibreglassed the whole insides and pop riveted the hinges on there

ok so last night i got british racing green from tamiya to try, when it dried it was perfect color, apart from that i couldnt weather it because it was exactly the colour i wanted to end up with!

so i got the toothpaste out again and covered over the parts i want to keep.
    i reprayed it a color called emerald green this time

looks very bright when applied.
    also did the diamond again

while that was drying i started the green on the other chest pieces

big tip is to clean off all toothpaste in between colors because it helps to see how much exactly got covered on the last coat.

i weatherd the 1st lot of black onto the ab with the toothpaste still on, i didnt do it as dark as i want the green to finish because i want to weather the silver and yellow as well. so will give it another coat as soon as its all dry

here you can see the difference between the basic green and the weathered green, fair bit of difference

may have to put this on hold when i have to buy some more stuff, my car just broke down and have to spend some money getting it fixed up

I helped at SDCC '08 987654321a's Avatar
    From
    San Diego, CA

Weather that armor down more. It looks a little too bright green.

as i said in the post, its not finished yet, only the AB had had 1st coat of weathering, and there is stilol more to go, once the silver and the yellow have been exposed

From
    Australia

Nice one brutha!.... Coming along really nicely mate....

preweathered

weathered

just remembered, gotta put decal on it too

From
    San Diego, CA

That looks much better now. I had to wear sunglasses for those pics earlier

8)

here is the finished with decal, flat

and attatched as if armoured

looks darker on the left, but the sunlight is coming fromt he right

Looking good

well as its raining again thought i would update what i have been doing recently, here is the shot of my neckpiece drying

finished

here is the cod piece that bron gave me, she bought it off mickfett for 10 bucks, its an altmanns i believe

yes, thats the colour it came when we bought it!!

sanded

yellow

greened and weathered

here is the buttplate

flat

bent into shape

and the back piece

still having difficulties bending it to the right shape

i cant get the pics of the paint to come out decent today cos of the storm, they dont look too much like what u can see

From
    San Diego, CA

Looking great so far buddy!

Nice job on the weathering.

good weathering, im rubbish.

From
    Capital Wasteland

very nice weathering

Looking great

thanks guys for all the encouraging comments, im still having troubles getting the back plate into shape, i shall print out the WOF backplate template and draw on the fold lines for the sides and try hammering them see if that helps the shape, ive had so much dramas with the backplate, i made one out of fibreglass a while ago and it didnt come out correct either.

From
    Helsinki, Finland (Yeah, I'm one with the penguins)

Lookin good. The backplate is hard to do from metal. Do you have a mannequin to help you of are you doing it by touch and go?

well, made some new backplates out of 1.2mm ally this time, and managed to get one into shape, really need to start pulling my finger out and get this going again, have also started on the pepakura jet pack got the main body done, just having nightmare with all the cones

here is the backplate

From
    San Diego, CA

Great job. Looks real nice.

From
    Australia

Gees kuki, are you aiming for antique armour? ha ha ha
    Looking really good mate....I'll have to come around some time this weekend to have a peep at it.