Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Jun 2013
    Jul 10, 2013, 11:46 PM - Kai's ESB build (WIP) #1

My names Kai and ill be building a ESB version costume of the prominent Boba Fett! This thread will be where all of my progress will be posted. I will also be posting in other areas, were specific topics and questions are appropriate (costume, helmet, armor, etc). My first progress of my build started with the printing of WOF medium templates. My first plan was to sculpt my armor using sintra with WOF's dependable templates. I later learned it can be very difficult to sculpt movie accurate armor. Its hard to get the right shape and placement of physical damage in the correct areas especially if sculpting/crafting isn't your expertise. So i decided to go ahead with Will's (RKD) armor since he has already done the research in fett armor, saving me time and stress. His armor armor is definitely movie accurate (for most of the part). The only problem for me with Will's armor is the fact that he basis his armor off of WOF's LARGE templates which are recommended for individuals 6' plus. Im 5'8 on a good day averaging at about 135 lbs. So i will need to somehow reshape his armor. Preferably with a heat gun. I always wanted to build a star wars costume but never really had the time or resources. When i discovered this website surfing the web, it came to me that this community (site) has reliable people and information for me to build a successful costume. My biggest motivation to build an ESB Boba was when i heard of the new star wars movie that'll hopefully be released in a few years. I was just thrilled the thought of having a fett costume. Well, I hope guess and especially members critique my build, since i plan to go as movie accurate as possible. Please do not hesitate to ask questions or criticize my work. I hope people learn stuff that may have worked out from me, and also gain information on my MISTAKES knowing what NOT TO DO! Well enough with the talking... On to my build!

Updated: October 17, 2013.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heres the list of items that'll be used on my build that i have acquired:

Mannequin: Self made (duct tape)
    Helmet: ASOK budget helmet (great canvas to START...upgrade later)
    Flightsuit, vest, neck seal: Arkady
    Pouches: Arkady
    Balaclava: MOW
    Armor: RKD's
    Gauntlets: RKD's
    Jet pack: MOW
    Ammo belt: MOW
    Girth belt (brown): MOW
    Cape: MOW
    Braids: Need to upgrade later
    Buckle: (Accurate, work at a spearfishing specialty shop)

Items still yet needed:

Helmet:
    Fans
    Voice amplifier (maybe)
    Padding
    RF light
    RF remote
    Green visor

Armor:
    Chest display sequence (Fett Tronics)
    Decals
    Studs
    Flamethrower for gauntlet
    Switches
    gauntlet lights
    gauntlet hose
    Boots (Thinking of Evo's)

Jet pack:
    Harness
    Vest for JP
    Stabalizer
    Beacon
    Decals

Accessories:
    EE3
    Sidearm
    Nemrod holster (attainable)

What am i missing?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Launch of My Fett Project

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1563.jpg 
Views:	339 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	72421

Flight suit
    made by Arkady

Name:	IMG_1520.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	72429

Will be posting picture soon of test fit...

The first thing i did was trim my armor with a Dremel, then sand the sides and surfaces. Will recommended 60 grit sand paper on the sides, 200 on the surfaces, and 220 in between painting layers, then seal each layer between going on to the next with the use of a sanding block. Although, i used 120 on the sides to even it out and 220 on the surfaces to remove the shininess. Seemed to have worked out fine. It would also be better if your capable and have the ability to use a cutting wheel/bench grinder, or belt sander. Much quicker! Here's some pictures:

Name:	IMG_1326.jpg 
Views:	433 
Size:	2.88 MB 
ID:	72426

After the trimming and sanding of my armor i rinsed all the armor pieces with water. Then rubbed a wet rag saturated with a mixture of diluted water and rubbing alcohol. Half half. After that, i waited until it was
    dry to prime my armor. I used Rust-oleums flat grey primer. Which bonds to plastic! Did a double coat, waited in between coats, then later sanded the primed armor when i had the time a few days later. The knees already came primed by will.

Name:	IMG_1527.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	72438Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1568.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	72419Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1530.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	72440Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1566.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	72418

Before these pictures I forgot to cut out chest slots on my left piece chest armor. I did it when it was all primed up. If u have RKD's armor the chest slots should be placed in 48.33mm from the top, 30.45mm from the left side, 70.35mm on the right side, and 100.8mm from the bottom corner. Info provided by Rafalfett! Thanks man

Name:	IMG_1557.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	72442Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1565.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	72420

After that i shot my armor pieces with Rustoleums metallic titanium, i actually don't think this was a good choice for the silver damage. I then sprayed couple of coats of matte clear coat.

Name:	IMG_1569.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	72417
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1528.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	72439   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1562.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	72423   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1560.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	72424  

Name:	IMG_1327.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.51 MB 
ID:	72427   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1325.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	72428  
    Last edited by KaiMartin; Oct 22, 2013 at 6:05 AM. Reason: Updated!
    Jul 12, 2013, 12:07 PM - Re: (WIP) Starting my ESB build #2

You're off to a good start! Arkady makes great flight suits and MOW's jetpacks are phenomenal.

A lot of people make armor out of sintra because its cheap and easy to add dents and shape with a heat gun. I would like to say, though, that unless you spend a lot of time to perfect the armor, you might be better off ordering from one of the many armor makers (RKD, FP or BM). Scratch built armor is pretty hit or miss so just take your time and have fun with it. I'm nearing the end to an ESB build (waiting on the rest of stuff in the mail) so just shoot me a PM if you have any questions at all.
  3. Member Since
    Jun 2013
    Aug 15, 2013, 6:51 PM - Re: (WIP) Starting my ESB build (UPDATED 8/15/13) #3

UPDATED!
  4. Member Since
    Jun 2013
    Nov 4, 2013, 6:45 PM - Re: Kai's ESB build (WIP) #4

(DELETE)
    Last edited by KaiMartin; Jun 25, 2014 at 3:57 PM.
  5. Member Since
    Dec 2012
    Nov 4, 2013, 11:26 PM - Re: Kai's ESB build (WIP) #5

Nice armor set up--you seem to be on your way. You have a couple extra gauntlet pieces for an esb fett but that isn't that big of a deal. I have the same build as you, and I use RKD's cod piece, gauntlets, knees, backplate and collar plate. I was pleasantly surprised by how well everything fit.

If you want to wear the costume any time soon I would recommend looking into ways of attaching the armor and buying supplies for that.

As far as painting goes, I recommend Humbrol Maskol for applying the damage to the armor. I used a toothpick to apply it.
  6. Member Since
    Jun 2013
    Nov 4, 2013, 11:37 PM - Re: Kai's ESB build (WIP) #6

Yeah i was wondering, what else pieces will i need for the gaunts ESB style? As far as the fit, im a tad off 6ft. Like i said 5'8 I plan on using magnets. Like how will describes, on his sticky. As far as masking im using this one for model aircrafts, boats cars, etc. I'll see how it goes. Ive had a very hard time trying to apply it with a tooth pick, so im just using a tiny brush.
    Nov 5, 2013, 3:20 AM - Re: Kai's ESB build (WIP) #7

Great start, all nice stuff there!
    Nov 10, 2013, 10:48 AM - Re: Kai's ESB build (WIP) #8

Sweet. You've got some really good stuff there. I can give you some tips on converting the gauntlets. The main things are modding the whipcord housing and coming up with a flamethrower.
  9. Member Since
    Jun 2013
    Dec 1, 2013, 12:01 AM - Re: Kai's ESB build (WIP) #9

Quote gt8mar said: View Post
    Nice armor set up--you seem to be on your way. You have a couple extra gauntlet pieces for an esb fett but that isn't that big of a deal. I have the same build as you, and I use RKD's cod piece, gauntlets, knees, backplate and collar plate. I was pleasantly surprised by how well everything fit.

If you want to wear the costume any time soon I would recommend looking into ways of attaching the armor and buying supplies for that.

As far as painting goes, I recommend Humbrol Maskol for applying the damage to the armor. I used a toothpick to apply it.
    Yeah i actually traded the pieces i didnt need for a whipcord housing and a flame thrower with this now buddy of mine :P Btw how tall are you? How did u attach your cod and back plate? And where did u buy your magnets? I see some people recommended which magnet sizes to get from various web sites on RKD's utilizing magnet thread. I would like to wear it ASAP. And as far as painting im having a few problems.

What do you guys think of this silver? Its rustos metallic silver. Im not digging this masking fluid either it dries clear so I'm not to sure exactly where its placed and if theres enough fluid on top, so i just keep re-applying. I purchased some maskol fluid online should arrive late december.
    Sorry the lighting may be bad. To bad it was rainy outside.

Last edited by KaiMartin; Dec 1, 2013 at 1:38 AM.
    Dec 7, 2013, 9:59 PM - Re: Kai's ESB build (WIP) #10

Hey man, first time I read your post . You're off to a really good start, heck , better than me!
    The artist brush works ok in the bigger areas, but the toothpick should be ok in the small spots, and where you need the lines to look jagged.