Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    Jan 31, 2004, 9:20 PM - Jetpack: FINISHED! #1

Hey guys!

In the coming weeks I'll be looking to buy a Boba jet pack. I was wondering if I could get some recommendations from y'all on what are the best ones that are currently available to look into purchasing, and also some contact information for the makers (PM'ed to me if you wish).

I'd like a good balance between accuracy, weight, and of course, COST. I'd rather trade accuracy for a cheaper pack, as I can always "improve" upon the design if I don't like it. The big thing is, right now I have more time than money. I can afford to invest as much labor as needed, but money, well... that's another story!

I'd even consider buying someone's unfinished kit, broken pack, or another type of "pack in need of some TLC". I don't mind fixing a pack, repainting an ESB pack (I need a ROTJ one), etc., though I'd rather buy one that's "ready to rock".

Any comments, suggestions, and opinions will be appreciated!

THANKS!
    Jan 31, 2004, 9:51 PM - Re: Recommendations needed on what jetpack I should buy #2

Why not try making one from scratch?
    Jan 31, 2004, 11:08 PM - Re: Recommendations needed on what jetpack I should buy #3

I think I'm going to be busy having all of my teeth extracted that day...

Seriously, there's a LOT of things I'd like to do in my life. Custom-building a jet pack is not one of them.

I made 90% of my costume myself, including my gauntlets, and I did a good enough job that noone has ever pointed out that my parts aren't "professionally made", so I must have done a somewhat decent job. I'm no stranger to labor and construction (my left gauntlet alone took 160 hours to design, build piece by piece (it's not vacuformed), and paint). That said, I STILL don't want to make one myself!

At this point, I wouldn't mind a "fixer upper", or building a kit, but I just don't want to do the scratch-building thing anymore, ya know?
    Feb 1, 2004, 12:07 AM - Re: Recommendations needed on what jetpack I should buy #4

Yep, I know where your at.
    I did all my Jango from scratch, short of the bucket and ammo belt. Scratch blasters- no problem. Scratch jet pack- bring it on. Scratch gauntlets- give me a kit.
    Feb 1, 2004, 10:25 AM - Re: Recommendations needed on what jetpack I should buy #5

MLC- hands down! Not 100% accurate- well maybe for Boba, not 100% for Jango. But it weighs less than 4lbs, really no prep-light sand, primer, paint! Nothing to assembpe- the rocket and thrusters can be easily removed for travel and storage, and the back compartment can be used for storage And is $300- a bargain for what you're getting I think!!!
    Feb 1, 2004, 3:45 PM - Re: Recommendations needed on what jetpack I should buy #6

Thanks for all of the recommendations, guys (and gal)!

I just bought a fiberglass Mandaloriancostuming jet pack that someone started building, then backed out of. It's mostly assembled, just have to install the rocket, nozzles, and other resin pieces, sand, paint, etc.

The best part? It was only $150!!! They sell for $400 on their website!

I couldn't say "no" to a $150 fiberglass jet pack!

It may not be 100% accurate either, but for $150, I betcha I won't lose any sleep over it!

Thanks!
    Feb 1, 2004, 4:26 PM - Re: Recommendations needed on what jetpack I should buy #7

Mate, I've got 30 words for you....

"Make your own from scratch," "Make your own from scratch," "Make your own from scratch," "Make your own from scratch," "Make your own from scratch," "Make your own from scratch,"
    Feb 1, 2004, 9:15 PM - Re: Recommendations needed on what jetpack I should buy #8

No thanks. See my comments above for the reasons why.

In any event, I think I'll be happy with the new pack. If the fiberglass it's made from is anything like the fiberglass of my MSH, it should hold up well. I've done over 20 events in my MSH and it's a VERY durable piece. With lots of people and kids always around, durability is a GOOD thing!
    Feb 1, 2004, 10:19 PM - Re: Recommendations needed on what jetpack I should buy #9

<---Agrees with Mirax.

I've got an MLC pack as well, and it's great. Like she said, it's not 100% accurate, but if you plan on toting your pack around (and why wouldn't you? ), you simply can't beat the weight of an MLC. Only 4 pounds!
    Feb 1, 2004, 10:48 PM - Re: Recommendations needed on what jetpack I should buy #10

Yeah, but I couldn't beat &#36;150 for a fiberglass pack!

Maybe my 2nd jet pack will be a MLC.
    Feb 4, 2004, 5:33 PM - Re: Recommendations needed on what jetpack I should buy #11

Ive got a MLC JP and its great I recomend it
    heres my link to see the finished MLC JP painted.
    http://www.uk-scout.co.uk/test/MLC.htm

cheers

Neil
    uk-scout TB7290
    www.uk-scout.co.uk
    ukbikerscout@hotmail.com
  12. Admin Staff obi sean kenobi's Avatar
    Feb 4, 2004, 11:28 PM - Re: Recommendations needed on what jetpack I should buy #12

Im gonna be the odd man out and say Bradleyfetts is the most accurate pack out there...its a b*&%&#36; to put together though - so the MLC beats it in that category!
    Seriously its a very nice kit.
    sean
    Feb 5, 2004, 8:11 AM - Re: Recommendations needed on what jetpack I should buy #13

I'm with Sean on this one. MB's newer pack that came out last January is hands down THE MOST ACCURATE Boba Fett jet pack out there (IMO). Its sculpted from looking at reference shots of the real thing, not from a toy and the price is better too! Once its all built, its not really that heavy either.

14. Member Since
    Aug 2003
    Feb 6, 2004, 8:21 AM - Re: Recommendations needed on what jetpack I should buy #14

New MB!

Feb 6, 2004, 8:39 PM - Re: Recommendations needed on what jetpack I should buy #15

RA fg.... It is a lot bigger then MB's new pack.

Lynn
    Feb 6, 2004, 11:05 PM - Re: Recommendations needed on what jetpack I should buy #16

Ok guys. Lay off the sugar and caffeine!

Like I said, I've already decided on AND purchased a pack. Thanks for your rabid enthusiasm regarding your personal favorite jet packs, though. They have been noted!

I MAY buy something different in the future IF I absolutely end up hating this one AND if money permits. Like I mentioned, it's fiberglass and normally sells for &#36;400 in kit form. It was offered to me for &#36;150 partially assembled, so I couldn't turn it down. It needs some work, but I'm no stranger to that!

Worse case scenario, I'll fix it up, sell it, and buy a better one! 8)

Now I guess I just need a BKBT harness.

Thanks for all the input.
    Feb 7, 2004, 4:01 PM - Re: Recommendations needed on what jetpack I should buy #17

Fetthunter wrote:

Ok guys. Lay off the sugar and caffeine!

Like I said, I've already decided on AND purchased a pack. Thanks for your rabid enthusiasm regarding your personal favorite jet packs, though. They have been noted!
    Thanks for all the input.
    I know you got your pack now, I wasn't posting it to help you out.

Just to let others know other options who may be looking as well.

Lynn
    Feb 7, 2004, 4:23 PM - Re: Recommendations needed on what jetpack I should buy #18

Who says we care?

Just kidding!
    Feb 7, 2004, 6:55 PM - Re: Recommendations needed on what jetpack I should buy #19

judz dwedd wrote:

Who says we care?
    Just kidding!
    Ooooh wise guy....
    Feb 10, 2004, 12:27 PM - Re: Recommendations needed on what jetpack I should buy #20

I'm also debating on a new pack in the next few weeks...I like the lighter, 'no-assembly-required' MLC fiberglass pack, but it appears that MB's detailed thrusters and and top rocket may be more accurate. Aside from the open venting in the top of the central cylinder (MLC), what other areas of concerns are there?

Would it be better to buy the fiberglass pack and use MB's resin parts, creating a hybrid pack? I've built one of the earlier MB kits, and really don't have the desire to do it again.

Talk about sitting on the fence...

Feb 10, 2004, 2:26 PM - Re: Recommendations needed on what jetpack I should buy #21

The new MB pack is a nice looking pack, somewhat a pain to build. My biggest complaint about it was the size, way to small. If you have a small build and not real tall it would be perfect, but for me it looked out of proportion. I sold mine and have an MLC pack soon to be on its way
  22. Feb 10, 2004, 7:13 PM - Re: Recommendations needed on what jetpack I should buy #22

hey guys where do you a mlc jet pack from.

austin
  23. Admin Staff obi sean kenobi's Avatar
    Feb 10, 2004, 7:57 PM - Re: Recommendations needed on what jetpack I should buy #23

i have to re-iterate that building the MB pack is a pain in the ass!!!!!!!!!!
    LOL
    sean
  24. Member Since
    Sep 2002
    Feb 10, 2004, 8:11 PM - Re: Recommendations needed on what jetpack I should buy #24

fett-texas ranger wrote:

hey guys where do you a mlc jet pack from.
    austin
    This thread should fill you in on what it is.
    http://tdh.prop-planet.com/viewtopic...c=4738&forum=6
    Most of the pics don't work anymore but it has all the info you need on it.

Hope this helps.

25. Feb 10, 2004, 9:44 PM - Re: Recommendations needed on what jetpack I should buy #25

thanx bh185