Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Subscribe
    Feb 5, 2009, 6:37 PM - INTEREST MPP Tube Copys #1

well as luck would have it i just found out my neighbor owns a machinist shop. i was just talking to him & he says that he has the equipment to make these. he didn't give me a price quote yet (partially as we were talking outside & its freezing out) so i wanted to make sure there's interest in copy's of MPP tubes.
    here are the things ya gotta decide on if you are interested.

1 if you want the threaded end on the back of the tube. ya don't need it and not having it should cut costs. ill tally up the votes in a week or so on weather they will have threaded ends or not.

the 2nd & probably the most important thing is weather these will have a Chrome or Nickle Finnish. Chrome is more accurate but guaranteed to be on the expensive side. Nickle is a cheaper alternative. it doesn't look as grand as Chrome but is the next best thing if your looking to cut costs. again ill tally up the votes to what end. the reason Chroming is so expensive is that the byproduct of Chroming is very harmful & expensive to get rid of. i need to get my vintage MPP re chromed so ill be talking to chroming places anyway. if we have enough tubes being done it should cost less individualy for the chroming if we do that, the more people we get the lower the chroming cost should be for each tube

Interest List
    1.FlukeStarbucker
    2.vadr_h8r
    3.shabad
    4.SEEKER
    5.Galactic Bounty Hunter
    6.Peregrinus
    7.godaking
    8.dankenman
    9.TR 4059
    10.Darth_Nickel
    11.Spideyfett
    12.BOBA PHAT
    13.escho34
    14.stellardude
    15.SlabFett
    16.ilikebmxbikes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tube.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	31562  
    Last edited by BobaFettSlave_1; Feb 8, 2009 at 5:59 PM.
    Feb 5, 2009, 6:49 PM - Re: INTEREST MPP Tube Copys #2

You can buy almost the exact tube in the plumbing section of the hardware stores /lowes/home depot.

Same exact diameter at least to the highland.

if he can machine them without nocking off the finish, youd be golden. Thats what i was planning to do.

They are $7 a piece. They are pre-threaded. Which for me was good. I was going to make thread in stand to use in the cnc machine. That way the magnet could lock it down, line it up and wham wham wham cnc'd in about 10 seconds.

I hope that helps
    m2
    Feb 5, 2009, 9:24 PM - Re: INTEREST MPP Tube Copys #3

only issue with that is even if he would be able to cut the holes without knocking off the chrome the brass would be visible in the holes them selves. in order to get a true replica they would need to be chromed after cutting, like the real deal was. another problem is the engraved letters B,E,S,E. they are deep in the tube. these would also need re-chroming but that all depends on how accurate you guys want these.
    again this project hinges on the amount of interest it gets and how you guys prefer these are done, so it is up to you guys
  4. Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Feb 5, 2009, 9:54 PM - Re: INTEREST MPP Tube Copys #4

I'm certain that I will get beat down by most of the members here for saying this, but I would be happy with one of the tubes that has the brass showing thru a little. I know that would not be uber-accurate but I am on a budget.....................sorry ya'll but that's my vote/2 cents. Mark me down as interested please.
    Feb 5, 2009, 10:23 PM - Re: INTEREST MPP Tube Copys #5

im with fluke! I just want one that looks "good enough" I got a budgetfett kit ordered so I need something passable for it so mark me down for the cheaper one!
    Feb 5, 2009, 10:26 PM - Re: INTEREST MPP Tube Copys #6

I'm interested. I would want it to be as accurate as possible. Not with unlimited cost of course but there doesn't seem like much point upgrading from the standard stand-in Heiland 2 cell if it isn't going to be an accurate MPP replica, at least as far as is seen exposed on the blaster.
    Feb 5, 2009, 10:27 PM - Re: INTEREST MPP Tube Copys #7

I'm in.

Chrome or nickle it doesnt matter since I'm weathering the heck out of it.
  8. Feb 5, 2009, 10:52 PM - Re: INTEREST MPP Tube Copys #8

I'd be in if these would be a "very close" replica to the original... that being

1. Correct Diameter & Length
    2. Letters stamped into surface
    3. Correct Hole Pattern
    4. Chrome Finish

Even if it's weathered, there's still areas where the chrome surface is revealed! Also, there are plenty of "kinda' close or somewhat close" alternatives already out there, if another interest or run thread is started, let's shoot for the moon guys!

THX

Feb 6, 2009, 1:03 AM - Re: INTEREST MPP Tube Copys #9

Also interested. And I'll cast my vote for "exact duplicate", as well. Let us know when you begin to have a ballpark on how much they'll be.

--Jonah
    Feb 6, 2009, 1:40 AM - Re: INTEREST MPP Tube Copys #10

Count me interested.

Hopefully, the copy is close to the original.

-Joe
    Feb 6, 2009, 7:48 AM - Re: INTEREST MPP Tube Copys #11

I'm interested, but only for accurate tube. I like my heiland as a "good enough" tube, so my vote would be for as accurate as possible. Maybe do two runs: an accurate tube that cost isn't a factor, and a budget tube?
    Feb 6, 2009, 7:50 AM - Re: INTEREST MPP Tube Copys #12

Count me on being intrested depending price.
    Feb 6, 2009, 8:27 AM - Re: INTEREST MPP Tube Copys #13

3. Correct Hole Pattern
    4. Chrome Finish

1 is easy
    3 easy
    4 easy

but 2, is gonna be rough

You cant cnc it in, because of the chrome. So it would have to be stamped or cnc'd pre chrome which will add a lot of cost.
    Feb 6, 2009, 8:56 AM - Re: INTEREST MPP Tube Copys #14

I would be interested depending on price.
  15. Spideyfett is offline Spideyfett
    Feb 6, 2009, 9:37 AM - Re: INTEREST MPP Tube Copys #15

Quote Stormrider said: View Post
    3. Correct Hole Pattern
    4. Chrome Finish

1 is easy
    3 easy
    4 easy

but 2, is gonna be rough

You cant cnc it in, because of the chrome. So it would have to be stamped or cnc'd pre chrome which will add a lot of cost.
    Hey Mike, I think you're thinking of the Heiland stamped letters, which is a "close" cousin to the MPP tube and what most people use because the MPP is very hard to find and Not cheap... the MPP has no stamped lettering, only markings were the "MicroFlash" plate logo has been removed. ...

I have a really good reproduction that I can get my hands on and take some pics, done by Park Sabers I think.
    Last edited by Spideyfett; Feb 6, 2009 at 9:50 AM.
  16. Spideyfett is offline Spideyfett
    Feb 6, 2009, 9:39 AM - Re: INTEREST MPP Tube Copys #16

P.S BFS1, whatever happen to the metal Webley interest thing???

oh and if done correctly I would be down for a Replica MPP.
    Feb 6, 2009, 10:27 AM - Re: INTEREST MPP Tube Copys #17

Very interested! I'm trying to track down a real one, but I doubt that will pan out.

-Ryan
    Feb 6, 2009, 10:35 AM - Re: INTEREST MPP Tube Copys #18

Interested depending on price and a few other things...
    Feb 6, 2009, 10:52 AM - Re: INTEREST MPP Tube Copys #19

Quote Spideyfett said: View Post
    Hey Mike, I think you're thinking of the Heiland stamped letters, which is a "close" cousin to the MPP tube and what most people use because the MPP is very hard to find and Not cheap... the MPP has no stamped lettering, only markings were the "MicroFlash" plate logo has been removed. ...

I have a really good reproduction that I can get my hands on and take some pics, done by Park Sabers I think.
    Admittedly I havent seen one. I was commenting on GBH's post saying hed be interested if it had the stamped letters. I honestly have never seen one, so yah, i dont know what im talking about

I was just stating of the 4 things he listed, 3 were easy

Im surprised really there arent more copies. it doesnt seem like a difficult thing to replicate.
  20. Spideyfett is offline Spideyfett
    Feb 6, 2009, 11:37 AM - Re: INTEREST MPP Tube Copys #20

Quote Stormrider said: View Post
    Im surprised really there arent more copies. it doesnt seem like a difficult thing to replicate.
    Yeah I think the Park Sabers one came out fairly well, keep in mind it was done as a Vader Saber so most of it was covered with addtional pieces..
    Feb 6, 2009, 11:54 AM - Re: INTEREST MPP Tube Copys #21

Aren't there single letters engraved below the holes? That's what BFS1 was referring to with the B,E,S,E. I'm with Stormrider though I've never had the pleasure to see a real MPP myself.
    Feb 6, 2009, 12:08 PM - Re: INTEREST MPP Tube Copys #22

I have an MPP and there are indeed letters between the 3 sets of 2 holes E.S.E and a B above left of those holes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image005.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	142.0 KB 
ID:	31582  
    Feb 6, 2009, 1:25 PM - Re: INTEREST MPP Tube Copys #23

well that's true to a point. the MPP tubes do have single letters engraved into them. the E,S and E are in between the peanut holes while the B is in front of the larger single peanut hole.
    Edit. didn't see the post above this one. what he said

P.S BFS1, whatever happen to the metal Webley interest thing???

oh and if done correctly I would be down for a Replica MPP.
    im still doing that project only problem is i got in a car accident recently and the funds i was going to use to make a prototype need to be used to get that fixed first. but i expect that project to start back up mid March early April. could be sooner but this economy is hurting right now
    Last edited by BobaFettSlave_1; Feb 6, 2009 at 1:57 PM.
    Feb 6, 2009, 1:31 PM - Re: INTEREST MPP Tube Copys #24

Quote HeadlessHunter said: View Post
    I have an MPP and there are indeed letters between the 3 sets of 2 holes E.S.E and a B above left of those holes
    was that the one that was on ebay last week or so? i was gunna bid on it aswell but lost track of the date. did it turn out to be a vintage one? if so yougot that for a great price!
    Feb 6, 2009, 1:59 PM - Re: INTEREST MPP Tube Copys #25

oh. i forgot to ask. for you people who are wanting copys as close as possible. are you also wanting the threaded ends or just want the front half of the tube done as good as possible?