Subscribe
  1. Jul 24, 2015, 4:03 AM - I Want To Have My Cake And Eat It Too!!! - Clear Coat Discussion #1

So I am coming to the end of my first Boba Fett build and I really like how my paint looks so naturally I want to protect it. My problem is I do not want the clear coat to dull my Metallic look on my armor or helmet. I have used some Testors Dullcoate before and I don't want to turn my metallic looking areas into flat gray.

SOOOoooo I want to protect my paint without dulling the metallic, can you help me have my cake and eat it too?????

;-)
  2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
  3. Member Since
    Aug 2011
    Jul 24, 2015, 8:46 AM - Re: I Want To Have My Cake And Eat It Too!!! - Clear Coat Discussion #2

Spray the whole thing with gloss clear then mask over the silver and respray the rest with dullcote. Or mask the silver and just spray the while thing with dullcote and leave the silver un-cleared.
    Jul 24, 2015, 11:16 AM - Re: I Want To Have My Cake And Eat It Too!!! - Clear Coat Discussion #3

I wouldn't recommend glossing, masking, then spraying dullcote. Just from experience, dullcote does not knock down a clear gloss like you think it would....even a semi-gloss will still have shine to it. Masking the silver and then spraying the dullcote will keep your metallic greys looking the same.

Saying that, the original armor does not have a metallic finish to it, so I would recommend that everything be sealed in dullcote. What I would see happening is that in your pictures your armor would be dull, but then the silver parts would shine like bike reflectors...especially if a flash is used.