I need help finding the right ESB armor colours...

From
    Germany, Stolberg NRW

I need help finding the right ESB armor colours...

Hi there...

Im in a little dilemma. Im using humbrol enemal paint based on this great schema:
    pbn3-png

...but then I found this update:
    pbn3-3-jpg

So, now I really dont know which main colour is the "correct" one for the ESB armor? Humbrol 76, 78 or 117?

I started painting the armor parts to take a choice, but now Im more confused... I took some pics (the parts are still masked off).

p8160219-jpg
    Daylight, without flash.

p8160221-jpg
    Daylight, with flash.

p8160223-jpg
    Daylight, without flash.

p8160222-jpg
    Daylight, with flash.

I hope someone out there has an answer... Thank you for reading!

I labeled the armor pieces wrong... this is the correct picture:
    p8160211-jpg
    Last edited by Notlewis; 2 Weeks Ago at 4:24 AM.

Re: I need help finding the right ESB armor colours...

I asked myself the same questions...
    I decided to go with #78 and slightly misted the chest and ab plates with the #79 grey. It is not easy to get the colors right, once the silver and yellow damage is demasked the look is completely different. After i had applied the humbrol matte varnish everything has toned down a bit

i think you have your labeling backwards. I use those colors all the time and the one on the right (looking at the photo) looks like 78 and the left looks like 76. 78 is what i use on the helmet. I actually use a mix of 76 & 78 for ESB Armor. I mixed them 1:1 and then added a touch more 76. After demasking the silver/yellow and adding weathering it changes the look alot, as Nemesis customs said. theres alot of grey on the right chest plate around the emblem area, which also changes the color dramatically. I used Grey 106 for the grey on that. I dont use 117 for anything. Also your left shoulder should be testors zinc yellow chromate, or something similar. Its def not the same base color as the right shoulder. You can see how mine came out here:
    http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/w...aint-up-50277/
    Last edited by Darth Voorhees; 2 Weeks Ago at 4:12 AM.

From
    Germany, Stolberg NRW

Thank you NemesisCustoms and Darth Vorhees for your help!

- - - Updated - - -

Darth Voorhees said: View Post
    i think you have your labeling backwards. I use those colors all the time and the one on the right (looking at the photo) looks like 78 and the left looks like 76. 78 is what i use on the helmet. I actually use a mix of 76 & 78 for ESB Armor. I mixed them 1:1 and then added a touch more 76. After demasking the silver/yellow and adding weathering it changes the look alot, as Nemesis customs said. theres alot of grey on the right chest plate around the emblem area, which also changes the color dramatically. I used Grey 106 for the grey on that. I dont use 117 for anything. Also your left shoulder should be testors zinc yellow chromate, or something similar. Its def not the same base color as the right shoulder. You can see how mine came out here:
    http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/w...aint-up-50277/
    You are right, I labeled the chest plates backward... I was in a hurry, this morning. Your armor looks really fantastic! I will give the mix of 78 + 76 in 1:1 a try.

p8160211-jpg
    Now its labeled correctly.

From
    Denmark

Hi!
    Im the stupid git who made those paint guides and i should properly have made it more clear that you where suppose to paint both the chest pieces with 76 and then do a "misting" or a "build up" of 78.
    But in this case i would listen to Darth Voorhees because he has far more experience painting armor than i have.

Sorry for the mixup.

From
    Germany, Stolberg NRW

Jigglenomicon said: View Post
    Hi!
    Im the stupid git who made those paint guides and i should properly have made it more clear that you where suppose to paint both the chest pieces with 76 and then do a "misting" or a "build up" of 78.
    But in this case i would listen to Darth Voorhees because he has far more experience painting armor than i have.

Sorry for the mixup.
    Everything is fine Jigglenomicon! Thank you very much for your work and help!
    Ill follow Darth Vorheesadvice. Ill post some progress pics tomorrow.

High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    From
    USAF Utah

78 should be on the cod and kidney but I dunno about the chest having any 78 on it...

High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    From
    USAF Utah

78 should be on the cod and kidney but I dunno about the chest having any 78 on it...I also dont know that 76 isnt to dark...for the chest really...Lou youre pretty close I bet with the mix...I use testors MM for mine

Glad i could help!

yea Dom im pretty happy with the color now

Been looking for one of those schema's for the RotJ version. Can't find one for air brush paint. DVH helped me finding the certain colors I needed, but a good template with color locations would be awesome like the one you have here for ESB. Could someone point me in the correct direction?

From
    Germany, Stolberg NRW

Deriak said: View Post
    Been looking for one of those schema's for the RotJ version. Can't find one for air brush paint. DVH helped me finding the certain colors I needed, but a good template with color locations would be awesome like the one you have here for ESB. Could someone point me in the correct direction?
    Maybe this will be helpful for you? http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/b...tencils-42480/

From
    Germany, Stolberg NRW

Deriak said: View Post
    Or maybe this: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f23/a...otj+paint+list

Yea,I saw that, but I think those are rattle can colors. Looking for humbrol or testors paint colors. I think I finally found some suggested colors, but it's like a collaborative of different threads.