I "Glove" a good discussion ^_^Subscribe
    Feb 5, 2016, 12:21 PM - I "Glove" a good discussion ^_^ #1

So Gloves:

Plenty of threads out there on who makes them well, accuracy, fit etc. The common consensus seems to be that white military parade gloves dyed to color and tackle twill (matching neck seal) padded and quilted sewn on fingers, thumb and back of the hand. Since that build is relatively eazy mode to make I really can't justify the 80 bucks when I know I can make them for like 20, tops.

That said, in analyzing pictures are sure it is just a parade glove? In the picture attached if you look at the parts circled it really seems like he is wearing an under glove for a "padding" effect. A parade glove is farm to tight to look this bulky and wrinkle in that type of pattern. A parade glove even too big for your hand would not wrinkle in this manner. What are you guys thoughts? Has anyone thought about this or discovered if there is indeed an under glove to make his hands thicker? With only a parade glove on Jeremy Bulloch's hands would have to be pretty thick to have this appearance and he is a really lithe guy.

capture-png
    parade-gloves-jpg
  2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
    Feb 5, 2016, 6:29 PM - Re: I "Glove" a good discussion ^_^ #2

I believe they were a found part, cotton uniform gloves with a button closure. This is what I used: Curzon | Men's Plain Cotton Gloves

Which I believe are even the same brand that were used...

As for the padding, most people use that tackle twill stuff. But it's wrong. There is quilting behind, and the top material has a sheen to it which matches the vest material. They were sewn together first and then dyed at the same time. The fabric they used did not hold the dye...

Don't know if this helps... Good Luck!
    Feb 5, 2016, 6:42 PM - Re: I "Glove" a good discussion ^_^ #3

I believe what Urami is referring to is that the gloves in the top pic look like a lined glove because they are slightly puffy and crease in certain ways (kind of like a winter type glove) whereas a parade glove would be stretch tight and be form fitting to your hand. Maybe wearing another pair under the parade gloves will give the desired effect?
    Feb 5, 2016, 6:48 PM - Re: I "Glove" a good discussion ^_^ #4

I made a thread about this a month or so ago, I thought the entirety of the glove was a different material, the base glove as well as the quilting, based off of similar observations.
    Feb 5, 2016, 6:53 PM - Re: I "Glove" a good discussion ^_^ #5

I thought there were up gauntlet shots that kind of confirmed the cuff, button, and pretty much what type of glove it was?
    Feb 5, 2016, 6:55 PM - Re: I "Glove" a good discussion ^_^ #6

Quote drokkul said: View Post
    I thought there were up gauntlet shots that kind of confirmed the cuff, button, and pretty much what type of glove it was?
    Oh if anyone would be kind enough to post those I would LOVE that.
    Feb 5, 2016, 8:50 PM - Re: I "Glove" a good discussion ^_^ #7

Quote drokkul said: View Post
    There are many shots that show the button and cuff.

its not lined, I've even gotten thicker gloves to try. one time I even bought in bulk just so I could try one.

I'm not sure if there is a picture of the tag on the glove... Here's an image from Art of Star Wars that shows the button

Here are my gloves. I already posted the link above. Closest I've found, at the very least it might be the new model of the same brand. You might be able to find some vintage one on ebay...

here is tackle twill. shiny but no cotton grain.

Here is the fabric I found that I think is what was used, It's a cotton blend that doesn't dye; it looks spot on! I'm not going to go into what it is just yet.... If it's correct it also is used for the vest. Once we know for sure I'll let you guys know...

Feb 5, 2016, 8:54 PM - Re: I "Glove" a good discussion ^_^ #8

I knew I had just seen that recently but couldn't find it again!
    Feb 5, 2016, 9:20 PM - Re: I "Glove" a good discussion ^_^ #9

Yeah that is what I mean. That glove in art of star wars looks like it is thick material. Even after all these years the material just has a thickness to it. I know it's not but it has the appearance of warn suade.
    Feb 5, 2016, 9:44 PM - Re: I "Glove" a good discussion ^_^ #10

Quote Urami said: View Post
    Yeah that is what I mean. That glove in art of star wars looks like it is thick material. Even after all these years the material just has a thickness to it. I know it's not but it has the appearance of warn suade.
    Yes! That's exactly what I thought!
    Feb 5, 2016, 11:18 PM - Re: I "Glove" a good discussion ^_^ #11

Along the journey of people seeking to duplicate the costume was it confirmed that the gloves was truly the parade glove? Or is it just the best estimation for the "look"?
    Feb 5, 2016, 11:31 PM - Re: I "Glove" a good discussion ^_^ #12

@JimmyC

This one that you showed looks like a really good choice though. The wrinkle by the thumb look thick.
    img_2890_zps41lwld6e-jpg
    And with some dye and general wear/pulling the raised fibers would wear down and looking light giving the illusion of a suade. Will definately order up a pair of those.
    Feb 6, 2016, 1:22 AM - Re: I "Glove" a good discussion ^_^ #13

Quote Urami said: View Post
    ...it has the appearance of warn suade.
    Nooooo! The costume is hot enough

I'm actually on the lookout for a glove upgrade. My current ones are starting to fall apart. Watching with interest
    Feb 6, 2016, 7:51 AM - Re: I "Glove" a good discussion ^_^ #14

Quote JimmyC said: View Post
    I believe they were a found part, cotton uniform gloves with a button closure. This is what I used: Curzon | Men's Plain Cotton Gloves

Which I believe are even the same brand that were used...

As for the padding, most people use that tackle twill stuff. But it's wrong. There is quilting behind, and the top material has a sheen to it which matches the vest material. They were sewn together first and then dyed at the same time. The fabric they used did not hold the dye...

Don't know if this helps... Good Luck!
    They even have a grey option that looks exactly the right shade of ESB.
    Feb 6, 2016, 9:06 AM - Re: I "Glove" a good discussion ^_^ #15

Those are the very gloves I use for the ones we make..... You have to remove the stitching on the back of Palm.

That vest/glove quilting has always been a challenge to sort out....

And absolutely agreed on the padding, we do that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Feb 6, 2016, 8:24 PM - Re: I "Glove" a good discussion ^_^ #16

How close is that gray to accurate? Also @Major why do the stiches in back of the palm need to come out. Is it to widen the glove or just have a clean flat space to sew on the quilting
    Feb 6, 2016, 9:09 PM - Re: I "Glove" a good discussion ^_^ #17

Does anyone have any pics of their gloves that they made? Hand sewn quilting? And you're right that glove jimmyc showed you looks like a good thickness.
    Feb 6, 2016, 9:24 PM - Re: I "Glove" a good discussion ^_^ #18

Well those gloves are sold out everywhere so there goes that lol
  20. Formerly saint nasty Mike M.'s Avatar
    Feb 7, 2016, 2:45 AM - Re: I "Glove" a good discussion ^_^ #19

I'll be jumping back into the glove game again very soon. In the meantime you can see the gloves I'll be making in this thread: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/i...a-glove-52345/
    Feb 7, 2016, 5:04 AM - Re: I "Glove" a good discussion ^_^ #20

I was particularly pleased with my Mike.M gloves. The difference and improvement over my Boba Maker ones was vast.
    Feb 7, 2016, 8:16 AM - Re: I "Glove" a good discussion ^_^ #21

What is the cuff made of? Canvas?
    Feb 7, 2016, 10:41 AM - Re: I "Glove" a good discussion ^_^ #22

You remove that stitching because it's not present on the production gloves...... It would show above the areas where quilting on the pads.

As for the grey color, it's okay. I personally dye the gloves as the stock version Dents makes has too much black in it for my eye.

Feb 7, 2016, 10:51 AM - Re: I "Glove" a good discussion ^_^ #23

Ahh. Gotcha. Makes sense for sure. Ordered up a pair from dents. Pricey but seems like the winner. Canvas for the cuffs @Major or is canvas not screen accurate?
    Feb 7, 2016, 10:52 AM - Re: I "Glove" a good discussion ^_^ #24

Up to this point I've been using the white tackle twill.....

It's more a question of finding something closer to the reference. If I find it, I would absolutely use it

Feb 7, 2016, 4:37 PM - Re: I "Glove" a good discussion ^_^ #25

Quote Mike M. said: View Post
    I'll be jumping back into the glove game again very soon. In the meantime you can see the gloves I'll be making in this thread: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/i...a-glove-52345/
    Can't wait!