Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How many lines are there on the shoulders of the vest?

From
    SW Minnesota, very small town

How many lines are there on the shoulders of the vest?

Hey all, I'm busy working on my new ESB flak vest, & I was just wondering if anyone knew how many lines run down the shoulder caps! I really can't tell from the pics because the shoulder bell covers most of the sleeve cap. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanx alot,
    Damian

::Edit:: title change only

Re: Lines on ESB flak-vest

14?

From

Really? Wow, thats alot! I'll mark em in & see how it looks. Thanx buddy

fett234

Im A scout trooper and it looks to be the exact vest used under scout armor as fett and Im pretty sure it has 15 ribs. If that helps.

When I built my vest, I scrutinized as many of the ref pics as possible, looking for an exact number. I came to 14.

That's 14 stitch lines, btw. I could be wrong.

see, i listen!

From
    Phenix City, AL

Is 14 in each side, or total including the right and left side? Sounds like a lot of lines!

Robert

From

Hey, thanx for all the help guys! Really appreciate it! I had to make my cap a bit bigger, but 14 looks just right! Thanx again!
    Damian

Grrr....now you've got me doubting myself. Can't recollect if it was 14 lines or 14 rows......I'll get back to this tonight. Don't want you to get the wrong count because of me.

I'll come back and edit with my final count on this thread, kid.

I counted them last year and I'm pretty sure there's 14 also, and yes DV1, 14 on each shoulder.

Ok, here's the official count from my vest. There are 13 rows of stitching, which means there are 14 rows of,... well,... rows. I took this info from the ref pics.

From

Oh man!!! Thanx again for all your input guys! Don't know why I couln't figure this out for myself? College finals is turning my brain to jelly! Do you think anyone will notice if I have thirteen rows instead of 14 OK, I know the fett-heads at TDH will! 13 rows of stitchin it is; errr 14 total stripes? !Thankyou everyone!
    "Kid"

I hate to correct myself unless I think I'm mistaken, and in this case, I may be.

Initially, I came up with fourteen sections per shoulder. This was by counting the sections although some of them are obstructed by the shoulder bells. If there are fourteen sections, then they would be 5/8" apart from each other with the two triangular ends being just a bit bigger.

Using this pic, you can easily count ten sections which stop right around the center of the shoulder bell. I duplicated this with a paper model coming up with a space between the stitching of 7/16". If this is correct, then there would be twenty sections per shoulder, not fourteen.

I thought that sounded like too many, so I checked a few more pics trying to make scale references. The result, using the pic below, is also 7/16" sections.

So which is right: 14 @ 5/8", 20 @ 7/16", or possibly somewhere in between? I'd like to get a few more opinions on this.

Ego

I can't find my ref CD here at home but . . . what is the possibility of it being a different vest on ESB than it was on the ROTJ suits?

Because I must admit, at one point I remember counting 14 as well, but, that definitely looks like more on the pics you posted BF.

Enough other things have changed between suits, what are the odds that the vest did too?

Jer

From
    Phenix City, AL

BobaFettish wrote:

...If this is correct, then there would be twenty sections per shoulder, not fourteen.
    GOOD LORD!!! TWENTY??? That's a lot of lines! In my opinion, I'd go with 14, to be easier for my seamdresser to do them.

Robert

Re: How many lines are there on the shoulders of the vest?

I would have to say there are more than 14.

If you look at the pic the Bantha skull is centered on shoulder armor and count stitching to the left its about
    10, also there is a small stitch on the inner arm pit.

From
    Phenix City, AL

fpoato wrote:

I would have to say there are more than 14.

If you look at the pic the Bantha skull is centered on shoulder armor and count stitching to the left its about
    10, also there is a small stitch on the inner arm pit.
    Well, I guess that I have to look again in the Ref. CD one more time before it's too late to finish my whole costume.

Robert

From
    The first state

20 seems like a more feasible number to me.The 14 thing never had me sure enough since there were some that couldn't be seen.

Steve

From

yeah, I think you guys are right that there is 20 of those damn things. Shucks, now I gotta redo mine!

From
    Milford, Ct

I might be mistaken, but wasn't there a behind the scenes photo from the SE that showed the actor without the shoulder bell? I'm not sure if it's close enough to tell, Might be worth a look.

There is a pic of Don Bies without the helmet (RotJ:SE) , but he's wearing the rest of the armor including the shoulder bells.

There is another picture of Mark Austin without his helmet (ANH:SE), but again the shoulder bells are in place (although on the wrong shoulders ).

If there is another pic of any of the actors without shoulder bells on, someone please post it.

To my knowledge, I don't believe I have seen any circulated photos of the vest without the shoulder bell(s) attached. I really hope there is one out there, because it would also show in greater detail the attachment point.

Here's my take after studying these pictures for the past two hours.

The red line in the inset and main picture are meant to reflect the same point from different angles. One row in and you should be about center.

The green line is where the stitch on the shoulder part of the vest is which should also be a center point.

Oddly, this leaves me with 8 as the middle row so counting back down you add another 7 rows and get 15 total:

That didn't seem right to me; 14 would have made more sense.

So I checked the other sleeve and counted to 14:

Then I checked the other side, had to do some interpreting as to where the one picture left off and the next began and, based on where the hose thingy met up with the rows, I figured it was about in the middle of rows 10 and 11 so I continued my count from there.

And came up with 15 again which is what I plan to base my pattern on; if it doesn't work out and 14 is easier I may do that instead. I'd make the two rows on the ends a little bigger so they go to a point.

I may well be off -- this is just my interpretation of the hugely obstructed reference shots available.

I do think 14 would be closer to correct than twenty. Twenty seems like way too many.

Cheers!
    TJ

Ego wrote:

I can't find my ref CD here at home but . . . what is the possibility of it being a different vest on ESB than it was on the ROTJ suits?
    Looks about the same to me:

As this is a side-on center shot of the ESB vest with seven rows showing, I think it's fairly safe to assume there would be the same number of rows obstructed by the armor on each side. My guess is four on each side for a total of 15.

Cheers!
    TJ

From
    Milford, Ct

BF, that is one of the pics I was thinking of. I could swear there was another one that was a litle closer and showed just Mark Austin, from the side. I remember that photo being used to show the weathering on the bottom of the legs. I can't find it though.