Help!

From
    New South Wales, Australia

Help!

Im currently at the stage with my chest armour to cut out the space for the display. I am going to go with the Fettronics display and i have the measurements but really would like some detailed thread, I have had a look around but cant find much on the procedure. I am a bit nervous about doing it and I am not that skilled with a dremel. I was planning to drill out the corners and file out the rest.... Just need some guidance on this, thanks for looking!

From
    Boerne, Texas, United States
    I would suggest first scoring it along the edges with a exacto or hobby knife. Then deemed enough where you feel comfortable. Then sand down whatever is left.

From

Re: Help!

It is RKD armour, should I still try to score?

Look for the RKD armor thread, he shows how he cut his display slots out.

Here is a link to the post I was talking about.

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f25/r...tml#post556720
    Last edited by Natrix; May 8, 2012 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Added link

From
    Albuquerque

Nathan beat me to it! Thanks buddy

From

Thanks guys! Sorry i got in a bit of a panic, I didn't want to wreck my beautiful armour!! I did take some advice though I checked the thread and got the measurements off fettronics website. Made some adjustments to the awesome templates from wizardofflight, I then fixed the template and scored it then drilled it out. Then got my friendly file out and got it looking quite nice. I will be posting some pics on my build thread later today.
    I have had a bit of trouble getting on TDH over the last few days, have the servers been going down lately? anyone else had any trouble?

From
    Albuquerque

Yes, I've been having some trouble as well the last few days this week. Server issues??

From

Ok so, new day... new prob, I am using spray cans for the primer and silver coats on the armour....the next coats will be airbrushed, I am having a lot of trouble with dust at the moment while painting, It wasn't a prob with the primer because I rubbed it down with sandpaper but Its still a problem as I have added the silver coat I can see dust and hair through the paint. Do I rub it down a bit? Do I keep rubbing down every coat? Has anyone else had this problem?

From
    Albuquerque

I usually sand between each coat, but I've never had issues of seeing dust and hair through the paint

From
    Fordingbridge, New Forest

I am a vehicle paint sprayer by trade , if you have flatted primer you should of blown the piece off, degreased and then used a tack cloth to wipe off any small dust particles. Both can be got from your after market auto shops. If you need to key your paint between coats use a dry scotch pad ultra fine grade . But paint should be open enough to recoat in 24 hours . Hope i've helped Jake

From

Hey, thanks I will try the scotchbrite pads. But does sanding in between coats dull the paint?

From
    Brisbane, Australia

I used fine grade steel wool (from Bunnings) between coats on mine. I used spray paint cans and it does get a bit bumpy and the steel wool helped out a lot. Plus it helped to take off a bit of the shine.

Help!

Hair?! Do you paint in a barbershop?!
    Quote Quote Posted from iOS app

From
    Fordingbridge, New Forest

Yes Hobbit it will take off the shine but can polish up , you don't want a shine on your armour though so you can always use a matt or satin clear coat when you've finished all your colours .

From
    Albuquerque

Fettistics said: View Post
    LMAO!!!

From

Fettistics said: View Post
    Bahahaha! You would think so! Im painting in a shed, Its not great but its not the worst either. I have started airbrushing today and there is no problem at all now. Is it possible these cheap cruddy spray cans have got surprises in the actual cans? I cant figure out why..... I think there would be less hair in a barber shop!