Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Gloves Information

From
    Lou evil, KY

Merged: Re: Parade gloves, really?

Almost done with the second glove. I'm having a bit of trouble with the hand patch, getting it to match the first glove. These have turned out terrific so far. Mind you, they arent as well crafted as Slave 1's, but they are good enough. If I can get my hand on a digital camera I may post a tutorial for the rest of you budget Bobas. The first glove took some time to do but the second one took maybe an hour, including messing up the hand pad two times. I have plenty of fabric and batting leftover so I may try my hand at this again. Two bucks for a pair of gloves is all that will take.

From
    Fort Worth, TX

For what it's worth, I bought a few pairs of long-cuffed white parade gloves from paradestore.com. There are NO stitch lines on the backs of the hands. Rememeber, although these lines might be covered up by the right hand pad, the left hand pad is shorter, to make room for the gauntlet extension. You might not be able to cover up these stitch lines on the left glove.

Also, the longer cuff (although not movie-accurate), allows me to pull the glove up over the jumpsuit sleeve, about halfway up the forearm, and makes the gauntlet wear/removal alot easier. It also looks alot better than the bunching at the wrist, as with shorter gloves.

I bought three pairs, and set up a dye mixture with Rit Pearl grey color. The first was too dark, second was too light, but the third was JUST RIGHT (you guys remember the fairy tale with the bears). Anyhoo, I dried all three pairs to make sure I got the correct color hold, and made my own pads for the backs of the hands and fingers.

Total cost of gloves: $20 and some change.

NOTE: For those thinking of using a machine to sew these pads, or glue- the movie props were HAND-SEWN. This process gives them a more worn-out look.

In that respect, Slave1's are the closest I've ever seen. Until I get MINE finished.

From
    Kamino (also known as Seattle)

I scored some sweet parade gloves at an army surplus store yesterday, and they were only 50 cents! they were a little old, look like they've been sittin there for a while, but that makes em better! they don't have the button closure, but they are a longer cuff that I like better anyway! I used a light grey krylon spraypaint, and painted, then washed them, and they came out nice! now to start the sewing process....ugh

Ego

Eric,

Do you remember what the mixture was that you used to dye your gloves? I just got my own set of parade gloves a week or so ago (cost more to ship them than the gloves were worth), and was about to do some experimenting on dyes but . . if you can help shed some light, that would be great.

Jer

From
    Fort Worth, TX

Unfortunately, I don't have an exact measurement for you. That's why I bought three pairs. I used a stove-top pot with hot water, a little laundry detergent to soften the water, and half a bag of dye to start. The first pair was really dark, almost a slate color. So I adjusted as I went through the pairs.

What you COULD do- take the gloves to a fabric store, and have a saleperson help you find the exact material, probably a knit fabric.

Use the spare fabric to set your dye, and dip when you like what you see. Remember, after you dye them, let them dry to make sure your color is what you want. I used Rit pearl grey, by the way.

I wish I had a better answer for you. Damn.

Ego

Well . . . that does help. I now know that half a bag is way too much! hahaha

Actually, the gloves I got are just a hair too tight on me so . . I'm thinking I'm just going to use them for practice anyway.

So, I'll maybe start with a quarter of a bag and see where it goes from there.

Thanks for the tip.

Jer

From
    Adrian,MI

Merged: My finished gloves

Here is a pic of my finished gloves. lmk what you think. I used rit black on them which was too much so i then dunked them in bleach for a little while and came out with this color. http://community.webshots.com/photo/...76759916gBEGyP

From
    Michigan

Merged: Re: My finished gloves

Nice work on making them yourself, but try and get more grey into 'em.

Those look awesome...Slave1 move over...

From
    Westchester County, NY

D. Wolfe - excellent work! I tip my helmet to you!

What did you use for the base glove? Parade gloves?

From
    Phenix City, AL

Quite amazing the way you made your gloves,...IMPRESSIVE! Even though, I wished some people read my thread about my Slave1 gloves and what I did to them...EXACTLY THE SAME. They turned out like a TAN color instead of Grey. This is the link of the thread,

http://tdh.prop-planet.com/viewtopic...c=3655&forum=3

My recommendation from now on will be...DO NOT USE BLEACH when dealing with gloves. When using RIT dye, use a gray color instead of black (for future reference).

Now my question remains...what kind of gloves did you use? They look kind of different from the ones I've seen so far.

Robert

From
    Adrian,MI

They are parade gloves. They only cost like $3.95 so i wasn't out much if i screwed them up. Vader, i did read that but i decided to try my own way. Live and learn i guess. I am still happy with the way they turned out especially since i couldn't afford the ones slave makes. I also second your choice of not using black anymore. I can't remember where i ordered them from but there was a link somewhere on one of the gloves post that i found them on.

From
    Westchester County, NY

D. Wolfe,

Do you still have the name of the place you got those parade gloves?

Thanks

From
    Adrian,MI

No, i looked around and i threw away the brochure. I just searched on the web for parade gloves also. You can probably find them that way too. There are alot of places that sell them.

From
    Milford, Ct

From
    Adrian,MI

Thats the place!

From
    Westchester County, NY

I just got mine from there. I ordered 2 pair. One 12 inch and one standard. They shipped great and look good. I will try and post pics soon.

From
    Milford, Ct

I ordered the regular ones. I'm thinking about getting the 12" ones.

From
    Fort Worth, TX

Merged: Glove Pads - TDH material?

Did we ever get a consensus on whether the glove pads were made from the found TDH material? Or the jumpsuit material?

I'm starting the 'sewing-the-pads-to-the-gloves' project this weekend, but wanted to verify what material was used. I already have my parade gloves dyed, dried and ready to go.

Slave1, what do you recommend?

From
    Westchester County, NY

Merged: Re: Glove Pads - TDH material?

Ninja, I have my parade gloves but haven't dyed them yet. What did you use and what process? Any pics of them at thgis stage?

From
    Fort Worth, TX

Trial and error, my friend. Trial and error.

Initially, I bought three pairs of parade gloves. I got the ones that go a little further up the arm, over the jumpsuit, so as to keep the jumpsuit sleeve from bunching under the gauntlet around the wrist. It's not movie accurate, but it looks a helluva lot better.

I set up a pot of boiling water, and added almost a whole bag of dye (Rit Pearl Grey, powder), a little salt, and some laundry detergent (to soften the water). I dipped the first pair for about a minute and pulled them out. WAY too dark.

So I dumped half the pot, refilled with water only and tried again. WAY too light.

So finally, I added the rest of the dye, and got them just right. Now for a bowl of porridge and some bear meat...

You'll want them just a hair darker than what you'd normally wear. Once they dry they will appear a little lighter and if you wash them (recommended after the dye bath), they'll lose some of the dye there as well.

I know that's not the 'precise' answer you were looking for, but I hope it helps.

The best way is to start with very little dye in the pot and work your way up to the point they look good to you.

Of course, you didn't answer MY question!

From
    Westchester County, NY

My bad...

From what I remember, I thought the pads for the gloves were white cotton. This helps with the contrast of the glove.

BTW - I bought 2 pair of gloves. One wrist lenght and the 12 inch as well.

1 more thing... Do you have to soak the gloves in acetone prior to dyeing, like the girth???

From
    Fort Worth, TX

Nope, no acetone soaking. As a matter of fact, I'd think that the glove material is so delicate, I'd hate to see what acetone does to it.

::edited for spelling::

Yes, it is very likely that the material on the gloves is the same as on the vest-- possibly the reverse side of the material.

From
    Westchester County, NY

Merged: Dyeing my Paradestore gloves

I am planning to dye my gloves from Paradestore tonight. I have a box of Pearl Gray RIT and a 12 qt pot. Does anyone have any advice as to how much dye, how much water, how long, etc...

I am new at this whole dyeing thing.

Also, are the ROTJ spats the same color as the gloves? I figure if they are supposed to be darker, I can always leave them in longer.

Thanks