Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    Aug 23, 2002, 6:04 AM - Merged: Re: BROWN girth! #51

If you're going for a brown belt, don't add the wine color to it. By nature, wine is a purpleish red, which explains why your belt has a purple look to it now.

For a brown belt, start off with brown. For a red belt, start off with "Cardinal".

Don't forget to hook the belt buckles to a plank unless you want it to shrink afterwards.
    Aug 23, 2002, 7:33 AM - Merged: Re: BROWN girth! #52

Here is a comparison of my girth with the real ESB one. I dyed it with RIT Dark Brown and used a touch of Scarlet Red in it. I made a stretcher for drying an it is still the same size as when I bought it. -Mark
  3. boba_fett77
    Aug 27, 2002, 12:31 AM - Merged: Re: BROWN girth! #53

Jodo Kast 3,
    no luck at all, tried to dye it just brown like fetthunter suggested,it didnt work. so for know i spray painted it and will buy a new belt soon, i will try to find one thats cotton so it will take the dye
  4. Member Since
    Mar 2002
    Aug 27, 2002, 2:42 AM - Merged: Re: BROWN girth! #54

Hey gang,
    I just ordered this girth in white @ 36" http://www.statelinetack.com/scripts...yle=EI3-732210
    I will let you know how it is when I get next week. Should I dye it red for ROTJ ?
    Cheers,
    ST
    Aug 27, 2002, 5:37 AM - Merged: Re: BROWN girth! #55

If you're doing a ROTJ suit, then red is the way to go. I believe that Rit "Cardinal" will get you close to the right color.
    Feb 10, 2003, 8:03 AM - Merged: Girth Colour Question #56

Hi,

Any info from UK Fetts for the girth colour?

I'm guessing Dylon (available in Woolworths and hardware stores) would be OK as a product, but was wondering what colour(s) to go for.

Any first hand info on what to go for and what to avoid would be great. Any tips on techniques also gratefully received.

Thanks.

Si
    Feb 10, 2003, 9:27 AM - Merged: Re: Girth Colour Question #57

I'm not sure if Dylon is the same as the
    canvas that I used, but I dyed mine with
    Rit Dye dark brown. The rope used did not
    take the dye very well, though...so I ended
    up overspraying it with brown floral spray.
    "October Brown" was the color. I bought it at
    a local arts/crafts store. This was for
    my Jango costume. I guess if you did a Boba
    you might want to go with a more reddish
    brown.

Just my two cents.

Feb 10, 2003, 11:02 AM - Merged: Re: Girth Colour Question #58

http://tdh.prop-planet.com/viewtopic...c=1408&forum=3

Type "girth" into the the TDH search engine and you should get a couple results. Be sure to select "Softparts" as the forum you want the search conducted in, otherwise you'll get results for Jango and other extranous results.

Feb 11, 2003, 2:41 AM - Merged: Re: Girth Colour Question #59

Thanks Tyler,

Did that already though. Lots of useful info re: dyeing process, but here in the UK we don't get RIT dye, so the colour (color) names don't mean anything to UK Fetts. The post was to see if any UK fetts had good (or bad) first hand experience of dyeing a girth and what colours they used.

I'm dyeing a white girth. Not sure whether to go ESB or ROTJ at the moment though.

If no response from UK Fetts, I'll experiment and post the results.

Thanks again.

Si
    Feb 11, 2003, 10:35 AM - Merged: Re: Girth Colour Question #60

If dye is a problem for you, I ordered a maroon girth from www.buytack.com for my ROTJ Fett. No dye needed. I'm sure they have a dark brown one as well if your doing an ESB Fett. The actual girth I got wasn't on the website, but I called them and they were able to order it for me. The # is 1-800-451-4660 and you can call between 9-5 M-F or Sat. 9-Noon Central Time. The part number is MC ENGENSSB ($26) for a Blend girth or MC ENGENSSM ($33) for a straight Mohair girth.

Good Luck,
    Ryan
    Feb 18, 2003, 11:24 PM - Merged: Re: BROWN girth! #61

Has anybody tried using TINTEX fabric dye?

I plan on dyeing the horse girth in ROTJ color, should i use
    Cardinal or Scarlet Red?
  12. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Feb 20, 2003, 5:23 AM - Merged: Re: BROWN girth! #62

As I have gone through a number of girths I thought I'd make a few comments. The brown girth mentioend at the top of this thread looks like crap. I owned one. It is slick and very glossy and as someone else mentioned it is synthtic so there is absolutely NOTHING you can do with it to change the color aside from piant it.

The mohair girth is definitely the way to go. However, the first few mohair girths I went through did not accept dye well. I laid them for HOURS in tubs of hot water with dye in them. I even went as far as buying one of those giant turkey pans and placing the girth in it and it in the overn. While the girth accept a bit of the dye it was only a little.

Finally I just broke down and bought a giant pot (with lid) and took anohter girth and the dye took extremely well. The secret is constant heat and a LOT of it. Once I started useing the pot and dying my girths on the stoves I have never had a problem with them accepting dye.

You can find more info on this here:
    http://tdh.prop-planet.com/viewtopic...c=1408&forum=3
    Feb 20, 2003, 2:26 PM - Merged: Re: BROWN girth! #63

FOR NOW , I'VE HAD TO GET A WHITE ONE AND SPRAY PAINT IT .
    Mar 3, 2003, 12:38 PM - Merged: Re: BROWN girth! #64

For those of you who have had a successful with the girth, what size is everyone buying? My waist is about 33-34in, so I'm trying to figure out what length of girth to buy. This is assuming that when I boil it, I will have the fixture set up to keep it from shinking. Any suggestions?

FYI to all interested:
    The State Line Tack girth appears to be 60% rayon / 40% wool - this may not be the most desirable for dying. The Rider Supply girth appears to be 100% mohair wool - may be better for dying!
    Mar 3, 2003, 1:30 PM - Merged: Re: BROWN girth! #65

Hammerhead,

I just ordered a replacement girth from StatelineTack. I ordered the 38" one. My waist is around 36", and I remember the last belt I ordered gave me about 4 inches to play around with.

If it shrinks from dying, I will make adjustments to the connectors.

When my belt comes in, I will do measurements for my waist and girth size, it might help you a little in sizing.

Mar 4, 2003, 7:09 AM - Merged: Re: BROWN girth! #66

That would be much appreciated.

What I'm struggling with is that I know there should be a gap in the back between the ends of the girth buckles, a gap which is bridged by pieces of leather strap about 4-6 inches long. I also know that the girth needs to sit a bit lower on your hips than a regular belt would, so it that needs to be taken into account.

To me, the difficult part is, how do I determine what length of girth to start with, if I want the gap in the back to appear correct? Especially when shrink may need to be factored in. Starting with a 38-inch long girth may, in my case (34-inch waist) be too long, unless you could somehow determine what length of girth you wanted after shrinkage, and could control the shrinkage to that amount.

Has anyone else had to deal with all of this?
    Mar 4, 2003, 9:16 AM - Merged: Re: BROWN girth! #67

I'm still waiting on my new girth to come in. Maybe today.

For my old one, I sewed a couple cloth pieces together, and added Velcro. There's enough Velcro on the crossover pieces to allow me to gain or lose a few pounds without ruining the effect.

However, if I ever catch anyone looking at my booty THAT close, I'll have to whip out the jammy and flat-blast ya.

On a different note, is there a preferred dye method for ROTJ belts? I read somewhere I should start with Rit Cardinal Red...

Mar 5, 2003, 9:52 PM - Merged: Re: BROWN girth! #68

I'm not sure of what the shrink ratio is, but I've been told it can be quite substantial if you're not careful. I got lucky and bought mine pre-dyed so all I had to do was add the straps.

I would recommend temporarily adding the belts/straps to the girth (before you dye it) and see how much you want to shrink it. Now remove the straps. Measure out the total desired length on a board (a 2x6 would probably be ideal) and mark it. Now dye it. Afterwards (and while it is still wet), attach it to the board via nails through the metal rings, and it will dry to that length on its own. If you let it dry out without limiting the amount of shrinkage, it could (and probably will) shrink more than you planned. If that does happen, you'll just have to use longer leather (or nylon) belts/straps to make up the difference.
    Mar 6, 2003, 12:22 PM - Merged: Re: BROWN girth! #69

Just an update- still waiting on the girth to arrive from StateLine Tack. I was hoping it would come in yesterday, since I was workin from home. Maybe today, and then I will post 'un-dyed' measurement from actual end-to-end with and without buckles, as compared to the 'listed' length.

Mar 7, 2003, 8:25 AM - Merged: Re: BROWN girth! #70

batninja, that would be great.

My concern is that if I order one of the 100% Mohair wool girths (which sounds like the best option in terms of accomplishing the dying), then do I really want one that is "38 inches" long, as the Rider Supply site shows? If it starts at 38 inches, and I'm going to need something LESS than 34 inches to both fit my waist and leave the appropriate gap in the back, then it seems that the girth is going to need to shrink at least 4 inches from its original length, probably more like 8 inches!

Does this seem possible? Has anyone found a place that sells 14-strand 100% Mohair wool girths that are less than 38 inches long?
    Mar 7, 2003, 10:26 AM - Merged: Re: BROWN girth! #71

I bought a girth from Rider Supply and just a couple of days ago, I tried to dye it ROTJ style (came out the wrong color by the way, I tried the bottle of RIT wine + a package of cocoa brown)
    It came exactly at 38" end to end.
    I prepared a piece of 6" X 40" plywood that we had lying around the shop and drilled screws (2 per buckle) to prepare for the extreme shrinkage I was expecting.
    So far it has only shrunk 2", maybe less, and I've died it twice already. My waist is no where near that, especially since I wanted an extra gap.

But, if my sweaters and shirts have anything to say, its that I can shrink anything, wool or otherwise
    Mar 7, 2003, 11:03 AM - Merged: Re: BROWN girth! #72

UPS just dropped off my girth (while I was, um, indisposed). Here's a diagram of the sizing, for those who need it. VashDstampede is correct. It is to the inch, buckle to buckle.

I hope this helps.
    Mar 7, 2003, 11:08 AM - Merged: Re: BROWN girth! #73

Hammerhead wrote:

Has anyone found a place that sells 14-strand 100% Mohair wool girths that are less than 38 inches long?
    Hammerhead--check this site out:

http://www.buytack.com/products/saddle1/mc/english.htm

I got a 100% wool mohair girth 30" length. It ended up being about thirty bucks because of the 100% thing. I ordered a white girth and it came in a light tan color. Hope this helps ya!
    Mar 7, 2003, 2:28 PM - Merged: Re: BROWN girth! #74

Thanks, phantomfett, I might have to pick one of those up.

Here are a few more questions that I'm throwing out there:

- What type of buckles are accurate for the ESB girth? I have seen a few different buckle shapes while seaching for girths online.

- How many "seams" should the ESB girth have? By "seams" I mean the strip where all of the strands have been joined together. In batninja's very nicely draw diagram, there are three seams depicted. Is this correct for ESB, or should there be two seams? I've seen girths with both two and three seams while searching online.

Mar 7, 2003, 2:58 PM - Merged: Re: BROWN girth! #75

I'm not sure about the ESB version, but the ROTJ version appears to have 4 buckles (2 on a side). They don't use two of the belt prongs on one side; they wrapped two loops of webbing around, sewed it closed, and they other ends stretch to the other side, where the two buckle prongs ARE used, just like a belt.

Did you get all that?

Anyhoo, I just cut off the un-used buckle prongs (don't want 'em clanking around while I stealthily lurk around conventions) with a Dremel. Now I'm off to a fabric store to get the webbing.

By the way, I was in a rush and attempted an 'out-of-the-package' dye job. Nope, only made it pink. Gotta get some acetone and soak that sucker overnight. We're having a garrison party tomorrow, so they'll get to see how Fett gets that ruby red dye job for his ROTJ belt.

As for your cross-seam question, I have absolutely no idea. I've seen them with both two and three seams as well.