Subscribe
    Oct 1, 2009, 7:29 AM - Girth belt nightmares!!!! #1

AAAARRRGGGG!!!! Bloody girth belts!! The saga goes like this.. managed to trace one on fleabay, tried to dye the swine but oh hey, its shiny rope material so it wont take the dye. Got hold of a mohair belt from the USA and tried dyeing it too. No joy. Eventually I airbrushed it with brown Tamiya acrylic paint with mixed results.

Anyhoo.. Ive now realised that the colour isnt right for an ESB Fett, so, to finally get to the point, what colours do you UK chaps on here use for ESB and what brands of dye used? Is airbrushing the best way? This is really doing my head in, any help here folks?
    Oct 1, 2009, 8:52 AM - Re: Girth belt nightmares!!!! #2

Oh, this sounds harder then I thought...

I have ordered a Non Slip Mohair Girth, and wn it arive, I'm now a little bit confused on what's the best wa to dye this one
    I would love to know this too, is airbruch the only option
    And wha't the right collor for ROTJ SE ( I know it's same as ROTJ, but just not sure wich red it is on the ROTJ)

To get a nice girth belt sounds hard
    Oct 1, 2009, 8:57 AM - Re: Girth belt nightmares!!!! #3

Ive seen people use both brown and red girths for ESB (I have both). The method I used to dye the belt with was regular acrylic house paint, thinned heavily with tapwater. Soak the belt and let it dry, a little pale after the first round? Go another round.

Using this method the belt also stays fairly soft as opposed to when you paint them.
    Oct 1, 2009, 9:28 AM - Re: Girth belt nightmares!!!! #4

I used RIT dye and went three cycles with the last one lasting two days of soaking in the dye. Woked well for me but it still tends to rub off a little on the flight suit.
    Oct 1, 2009, 11:26 AM - Re: Girth belt nightmares!!!! #5

I used the latex stain method, soak it a few times, now. Whistle8mp did this thread which I like best. http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=22378

I soaked it only once originally and it faded. Doesn't rub off your flight suit.

Did the RIT dye too, it rubs off a lot. Painting Mohair will fray it. I don't recommend this.
    Last edited by Ciscotiger; Oct 1, 2009 at 11:37 AM.
    Oct 2, 2009, 6:02 AM - Re: Girth belt nightmares!!!! #6

Any of the UK Fetts got any ideas?I was going to ask Daz / Bobamaker his opinion on this but Ive plagued him with too many questions already!!

Cheers guys!

rod1138 aka rodsafett aka TK2614