Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Gauntlet hose connectors

From
    Indianapolis

Merged: Re: ROTJ Hose Connector Project

That pic looks awful familiar. Just in case anyone was wondering what that knurled piece was on the end of the toliet tube is, it is what I used for my flamethrower nozzles and has nothing to do with the hose connectors. There should be a threaded piece between the flare nut and coupling, but I couldn't find the one I needed to fit without having to hacksaw it in half, so I opted it out.

::Edit:: You can see how mine turned out by scrolling up a bit.

From
    Fort Worth, TX

Yeah, I thought about Dremeling the center area with a groove to add to the effect, but didn't think I could make the grooves even enough to look good.

My guess is, the assembly might be a 'found' piece, but not produced in a long time. Even if we were to see it today, we probably wouldn't recognize it for what it was.

By the way, the pic of BF's gauntlet is EXACTLY what the connectors look like when finished.

From
    Indianapolis

There is a threaded piece that will fit onto the flare nut, but the inner thread diameter is too small to fit into the coupling, so you'd have to glue it into place. The problem with this piece is that it has a nub of some sorts in the middle that has to be cut off (basically cutting the piece in half). I think I have seen this piece without the nub before (of course this was after I had finished my gauntlets), so I will check around and see if I can find it again.

::Edit:: Oh, FYI, the coupling will be found with the air tool fittings and the flare nut will be found in the plumbing section.

The threaded piece you need is
    WATTS
    SP-520
    PB113
    Brass pipe nipple 1/4 X close

There is no humps, all threads. Screws into the 1/4" NPT connector and the 3/8" short rod flare nut epoxies into it , as Bobafettish stated.

From
    Louisville, KY

Quick question: What size is the dowel rod that attaches to the bottom hose connector on the right gauntlet, and how long should it be? Thanks.

From
    Fort Worth, TX

Sleezy, the dowel rod I used was 3/8" in diameter, and about 3.5 inches long. One end of the dowel rod must be whittled or sanded (about an inch) so that it will fit into the 3/8" brass tube along the bottom of the resin side piece.

Hope that helps!

From
    Fort Worth, TX

TK0000, thanks for the info! I'll run up to Lowe's this weekend to see if they have any. I may have to update my tutorial once I get them.

From
    Fort Worth, TX

Okay, I found the threaded middle piece, but it appears Watts now uses a different naming convention (not SP-520). The part is now called:

Watts A-715
    PB113
    BRASS PIPE
    NIPPLE
    1/8" X CLOSE

It come in a small baggie, found in the plumbling section, where the other Watts piece is located.

If anyone is having trouble finding these parts, let me know. I may start hoarding these from Lowe's and send them out to needy folk. If there is enough interest, I'll start a new thread for sign-ups.

Are there decent refs for the hose attachments on ESB Boba?

Only one hose to worry about, mate.

batninja wrote:

Okay, I found the threaded middle piece, but it appears Watts now uses a different naming convention (not SP-520). The part is now called:

Watts A-715
    the SP-520 is 1/4" and the one you're refering to is 1/8" It will depend on if you are using 1/4" or 1/8" compressor fittings.

From
    Fort Worth, TX

So what's the actual Watts part number, then? I asked the Lowe's guy, and he had never seen an SP series part. Can you scan the package, so I'll know what yo look for?

From
    Montrose, PA

Merged: Single ROTJ hose

With all the attention paid to the double hoses, the single one seems to be getting forgotten.

Any ideas on what they did here???
    It looks like it was done with plumbers stick putty, or some kind of putty, wrapped with wire....
    What have you guys done?

Lynn

shrink tubing?

From
    Fort Worth, TX

<B>Merged:</B> Re: ROTJ Hose Connector Project

Although they'll work fine without it, you may want to Dremel or hacksaw about 1/4" off the threaded piece. If you don't, the distance between the other two brass fittings is wider than the actual movie prop. Not a big deal, and I doubt anyone would notice the difference.

So here's the complete parts list, per connector:

WATTS 3/8" FINE THREAD FLARE NUT (A-161, green pkg)
    WATTS BRASS PIPE NIPPLE 1/4" X CLOSE (A-740, pink pkg)
    AMFLO 1/4" to 1/4" FEMALE PIPE COUPLINGS (#344FE-RET)
    1/4" wood dowel

The Watts pieces are found in the plumbing section and the Amflo piece is found in the air compressor area. I found all these pieces at Lowe's.

The flare nut is not EXACTLY like the prop piece, but it's the closest piece we have right now.
    Last edited by batninja; Mar 11, 2005 at 4:51 PM.

From
    Louisville, KY

Quick question: How do you connect the entire hose connector unit to the individual gauntlet pieces (mine are resin)? Drill into them, and then glue in the dowel?

Also, for some reason, neither Lowes nor Home Depot carried the A-161 Watts 3/8" Fine Thread Flare Nut...A-161(green) was depicted on the graphic underneath the racks, but there was no A-161 placeholder on the rack between A-160 and A-162. Guess I'll have to take a drive.

From
    Fort Worth, TX

<B>Merged:</B> Re: ROTJ Hose Connector Project

Yes, drill a hole in the rear-end of the gauntlet piece. I'd suggest starting with a small bit and working your way up to 1/4".

You may have to sand a little off the dowel to make them fit.

I also suggest using JB Weld as an epoxy.

From
    Louisville, KY

Thanks! I'll do that.

Oh, and I was also wondering how the hose on the left gauntlet attaches to the missile, and how the hose on the right gauntlet attaches to the top piece.

Thanks again!

From
    Fort Worth, TX

Actually, there IS no hose on the left gauntlet, except for the Don Post &#36;3500 replica. They made minor changes (discrepancies) to that statue, so as not to conflict with Lucas' intellectual property. As far as accuracy goes, that thing is hideous.

For awhile, I used a hose on the left. I simply drilled a hole in the rear of the rocket, glued in a short wood dowel, and slid the hose down onto it.

For a cool effect, you can slide those thin, bracelet-type glow sticks down inside the hose. You can barely see them in the daytime, but at night, they look awesome!

The hose on the left gauntlet that appears on SE promo shots has simply been duct taped to the gauntlet laser.

Again, I don't believe the left gauntlet hose configuration appears on screen in the SE. Seems like it is just a promo faux pas.

From
    Indiana

should I paint or rub'n buff then to get the silver color?

Oh, I definitely think the silver was painted on. I think the Jango comparison was used meaning that the ESB gauntlets have more black "grime" on them while the Jedi gauntlets have more silver "damage."

re: Gauntlet hose connectors

I have a couple of questions. So there are only three hoses on the Gauntlets? They are all on the left one? Also, the wooden dowel method, does that only work for the bottom connector or both. Can someone provide me with some really good looking Gauntlet pics. Or does someone have an extra reference cd that I can get? Please help.

From
    Fort Worth, TX

I edited the tutorial above to correct the diameter of the wood dowel.

The inside diameter of most common sink hoses is 1/4", not 3/8" (math was not the BatNinja's best subject), so your wood dowel has to match that.

It still may be necessary to sand the dowel edge or wrap a small length of electrical tape in order to get the tightest fit.

This looks like a good place to post my question

Ok ...where do the two hoses that are attached to the flamethrower box on the Left ROTJ gauntlet go ?

I'm guessing they attach to the jet pack but where

Many thanks in advance