Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    Jan 17, 2006, 11:52 PM - Gauntlet differences #1

Hey all i was considering purchasing a gaunt kit from ebay,

i just had a quick question for you all that maybe some can shed some light on,

What exactly are the differences between the ESB and ROTJ gauntlets aside from their colors?

Thanks
    Jan 18, 2006, 12:09 AM - Re: Gauntlet differences #2

first off take a look at Ruffkintoy first. you might get screwed on ebay as many of us have before finding TDH. There is one seller in particular that the pics are not what you get.

ESB and ROTJ are different in the flamethrower mostly.

hope that helps
    Jan 18, 2006, 12:13 AM - Re: Gauntlet differences #3

ICCCCKKKKK!!!! yes watch out for ebay. too many people use pictures from other peoples gauntlets. or send you pieces that look like plain old blocks of resin or curved pieces of sintra without wrist accents.

try to contact Ruffkin as his gauntlets are both affordable and nice and detailed. with a decent paintjob and construction they can rival some of the more expensive kits.

definately give him a go before you possibly waste time or money on some of those shady ebay auctions

-=QuinN!
    Jan 18, 2006, 1:21 AM - Re: Gauntlet differences #4

could u guys pm me with the name of that particular seller so i dont make a big mistake,

The item in particular that i am considering is just the shells of the gauntlets with no resin parts i.e. the darts and the missle, im planning to make my own anyway, but i was wondering if those shells would be a good start, cause i do love to have big projects.

I just nearly completed my Rubies boba and with much TLC its becoming a superb helmet ill post pics asap.

thanks for all the help TDH members!!

I actually sent this seller an email with questions and he replied fairly quickly and even sent me pics of the "shells", they from the pics look actually like a decent start.
    Jan 18, 2006, 2:04 AM - Re: Gauntlet differences #5

the last i heard of that certain person on ebay selling the gauntlets, he said paypal account had been frozen AND he didn't even have any pulls ready. how do you even have an auction going if you can't take paypal and you don't even have the product available..well i know it's possible, but its funny. luckily I was not able to pay for the gauntlets I won because of his paypal woes. I then did a search for his ebay name on here and found what a horrible choice I had almost made. Then I contacted ruffkintoys and couldn't have been happier. And I only paid about $10 more than the ebay auction and it was worth ever cent.
    Jan 18, 2006, 2:16 AM - Re: Gauntlet differences #6

Everyone else already said it, but I'll reiterate, contact Ruffkintoy. I just got a set of his gauntlets, and they are fully worth it. You might find some cheaper on ebay, but there would be no way of knowing whether or not they are decent. If you check around the boards, you'll find plenty of testimonials for Ruffkintoy's gauntlets.
  7. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Jan 18, 2006, 2:52 AM - Re: Gauntlet differences #7

I'm ready to buy a set of ESB gauntlets from Ruffkintoy, from what I hear, they are some of the best gauntlets you can get!
    Jan 18, 2006, 2:58 AM - Re: Gauntlet differences #8

The gauntlets on ebay that are just vacuformed shells with no resin parts are recasts of mine, I am sure of this. If you are wanting a set from the original molds with the resin parts just PM me.
    Jan 18, 2006, 3:00 AM - Re: Gauntlet differences #9

Oh, and the differences in ESB and ROTJ are the flamethrowers are different. Box style on ROTJ and tubular on ESB, also the whipcord housings are slightly different.
  10. Member Since
    Jan 2006
    Jan 18, 2006, 6:02 AM - Re: Gauntlet differences #10

I bought the glassfiber gauntlets off ebay,a friend bought ruffkins a while back.
    He then saw mine and binned his ruffkins,hes just bought them from ebay.
    No offence to anyone on here and im not treading on toes but thin plastic thats easily broken is no match for glassfiber.
    Jan 18, 2006, 8:55 AM - Re: Gauntlet differences #11

In regard to plastic vs fiberglass, the originals were made out of thin plastic, so many gauntlets are available in plastic to appease purists.
  12. Member Since
    Jan 2006
    Jan 18, 2006, 9:00 AM - Re: Gauntlet differences #12

But the pics ive seen at the magic/myth museum have glassfiber inside+ i wanted a costume that would last more than one convention.I completley understand that some people will want one thing and not the other,im just relating my experience which has been a very good one.
    Jan 18, 2006, 9:23 AM - Re: Gauntlet differences #13

Quote thewatcher said:
    But the pics ive seen at the magic/myth museum have glassfiber inside+ i wanted a costume that would last more than one convention.I completley understand that some people will want one thing and not the other,im just relating my experience which has been a very good one.
    The Ruffkintoy gauntlets are nice. I'm pretty sure they will last more than one convention. Quite a few TDHers have them here and I haven't heard of anyone having problems with them.

If you want them fiberglassed inside, Chuck can do that for you for an additional cost.
  14. Member Since
    Jan 2006
    Jan 18, 2006, 9:36 AM - Re: Gauntlet differences #14

I think ill stick with mine thanks.
    Jan 18, 2006, 2:29 PM - Re: Gauntlet differences #15

I have had my own personal gauntlets for more that 3 years now (same pair) and have had no problems with breakage. I go to at least 4 cons a year as well as several toy shows and public events.
    As Ripcode said I do offer fiberglass reinforcement if anyone wants it.
    Jan 18, 2006, 5:10 PM - Re: Gauntlet differences #16

I love my Ruffkins
    No probs here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0579.JPG 
Views:	412 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	7966  
  17. Jan 19, 2006, 2:51 PM - Re: Gauntlet differences #17

i dont know anything about riffkins dude, but ive heard more then a few sad stories about gauntlets on ebay. dont screw yourself...the ppl here know what theyre talking about.
    Jan 19, 2006, 3:30 PM - Re: Gauntlet differences #18

Quote thewatcher said:
    I bought the glassfiber gauntlets off ebay,a friend bought ruffkins a while back.
    He then saw mine and binned his ruffkins,hes just bought them from ebay.
    No offence to anyone on here and im not treading on toes but thin plastic thats easily broken is no match for glassfiber.
    Easily broken??

Since you don't own the Ruffkintoy gauntlets how can you say they are easily broken?

Hey "thewatcher".... Are you really Frank-N-Son??
    Jan 19, 2006, 3:54 PM - Re: Gauntlet differences #19

Again, that's why we put fg inside. Ruffkintoy makes a great set of gauntlets.
    Maybe you are not trying to step on toes but I think you need to try harder not to.

Quote thewatcher said:
    Jan 20, 2006, 12:42 AM - Re: Gauntlet differences #20

Quote Ripcode said:
    Easily broken??

Since you don't own the Ruffkintoy gauntlets how can you say they are easily broken?

Hey "thewatcher".... Are you really Frank-N-Son??
    ----

To Ripcode

Keep sock puppet comments between yourself and moderators

---

To watcher

I agree it would be hard to evaluate a set of gauntlets if you don't own a set yourself. Also, if you don't plan to take any TDH advice, it does not seem sensible to go on th edge of receiving any by floating around a thread that is reviewing such products. It has been mentioned that fiberglass reinforcement is available from Ruffkin, and if the plastic was really that bad in the first place, that option wouldn't be an option it would be standard.

-=QuinN!
  21. cookiemongoloid is offline cookiemongoloid
    Jan 20, 2006, 1:31 AM - Re: Gauntlet differences #21

If you are sooooo sure about the gauntlets you want, go for 'em. No one's going to stop you. But be mindful, listen to what these people say. We dedicated our lives to the fictional character boba fett (well, I do). So, I think we may have a little more knowledge than YOU about this subject. Im not trying to be offensive, I just dont want to see anyone go through what I had to go through with ordering a helmet off of ebay.

AND I DO own a set of Ruffkin gauntlets, and they are magnificent. They are a HARD plastic, and wont break easily. I am not finished with them yet, but i am working on them.

In the end, you are the one to decide what you want to order, but jsut be careful, and listen to us. We know more than you think we know.

This bickering is pointless, let the lad do what he wants to do.
    Jan 20, 2006, 8:34 AM - Re: Gauntlet differences #22

Quote CombatBaby said:
    ----

To Ripcode

Keep sock puppet comments between yourself and moderators

-=QuinN!
    What I do?

Jan 20, 2006, 11:26 AM - Re: Gauntlet differences #23

Quote Ripcode said:
    What I do?

...sock puppet...I just start thinkin of Wild Boyz!!!....'da na da na 'smack!'

...too funny!!!

Laters
    Lewis
  24. Member Since
    Jan 2006
    Jan 20, 2006, 12:09 PM - Re: Gauntlet differences #24

Wow..i make a comment and every one gets fired up.
    Read what ive said, a freind had ruffkin gauntlets, ive seen ruffkin gauntlets and upon seeing them i made a decision,i then posted my comments and get flamed like this,i can see that the information ive been given on other forums about this forum is quite true.
  25. cookiemongoloid is offline cookiemongoloid
    Jan 20, 2006, 12:18 PM - Re: Gauntlet differences #25

Quote thewatcher said:
    i can see that the information ive been given on other forums about this forum is quite true.
    EDIT: I took out a rude comment, and I apologize to thos who were offended.
    Last edited by cookiemongoloid; Jan 20, 2006 at 9:31 PM.