Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Subscribe
    Sep 9, 2002, 5:48 AM - Merged: Merged: Re: Gauntlet Darts... #26

Well lets see them darts!! Hope some one will post them for you. Please let me know if you have an extra set available, would be much appreciated! 8)
  2. Ego
    Sep 9, 2002, 5:54 PM - Merged: Merged: Re: Gauntlet Darts... #27

I asked this once before but, what length should the gauntlet darts be? I'm going to get the guys in my toolroom to make up some sets, but, until I get a dimension, I can't have them do them up.

Jer
    Sep 11, 2002, 5:50 AM - Merged: Merged: Re: Gauntlet Darts... #28

Update on the darts: first of all, I have asked enough members to post pics for me that sooner or later you will all be able to see them. Next, these are being done for me as a favor and I do not intend to sell them. I do, however, intend to trade for some smaller parts that I am still missing. The guy who is making them has recently bought a house and is getting married next month so he will be busy for a while. I have a list of those that have asked to be put on a list and I will do my best to help you out. There is no timeline and I will let you know (individually) when I have another set available. I do have a question though. Has anyone tried to make a fiberglass set? I was just thinking that if someone can help me, maybe we can make some temporary sets until I get more. Just an idea, let me know what you think.
    Sep 14, 2002, 8:01 PM - <B>Merged:</B> <B>Merged:</B> Re: Gauntlet Darts... #29

The shape is right, but they are way too long. Using the Ref CD, it looks to me that the darts should only be about one inch long (including the portion that will be sunk into the gauntlet itself). Brak's or BobaPhett would probably be the best ones to get an accurate measurement from.
    Sep 14, 2002, 10:30 PM - Re: Gauntlet darts #30

Dude, that's too cool.

Measurements........ Bobafettish ... Damn Close

The plateau of the gauntlet right below the darts (or better said, the plateau that they rest on) is approx. 4.7 CM wide.
    This data, gathered from research I have been concentrating on lately. It's based on the right gauntlet I just made. It's at least 96-98 % accurate (in SIZE that is) as far as we can tell so far(it's huge). Maybe more. I won't know for sure, until there is an oppertunity to compare it to an exhibit. But even then, it will always be off, unless you could hold the real thing and measure it.

But anyway, enough rambling. I came up with this ...

Dart Length - (Approximation Only) 1.8 CM or 13/16 ...

from the tip of the dart head, to where it sinks into the gauntlet. How much is actually sunk into the gaunt, who knows. Who cares if we get that anal, we'd better seek counseling As long as there is enough to hold it secure in the gaunt ( say 1/4 inch or less) life would be good.

FP

Sep 15, 2002, 12:05 AM - Re: Gauntlet darts #31

Fettpride, I actually came up with 13/16" too! I just rounded it off to a whole inch with the intent that the other 3/16" should be enough to glue into the gauntlet itself. That, and I didn't want people to know that I was trying to take (semi)accurate measurements from my computer monitor.
    Sep 15, 2002, 12:24 AM - Re: Gauntlet darts #32

What can I say?

Great minds think alike? -JK-
    Sep 15, 2002, 3:04 AM - Re: Gauntlet darts #33

The newer darts I had machined this week are a lot smaller. The first set the guy was working from reference pics but had no clue as to how big the gauntlets were. After I got them home I saw that they were way too big. They hung off the gauntlet by 1/4 of an inch. The newer ones are smaller but I think the detail is even better. It took him about 20 minutes for each of the larger darts, and about 30 minutes for each of the smaller ones. If someone can post the new pics for me, I'd appreciate it.

9. fettalike
    Sep 15, 2002, 6:04 AM - Re: Gauntlet darts #34

Gee cm & 16th. I think you're right, it may be possible to get too annul.
    Sep 16, 2002, 1:51 AM - Re: Gauntlet darts #35

Lookin Gooooood

Is the dart body still a tad too thick ? Maybe just the picks?

Is that an MB or GA gaunt that they are mounted on ?

Sep 16, 2002, 2:41 AM - Re: Gauntlet darts #36

Its just the pics. They actually look better than the larger ones, I believe everything is close to the scale previously posted by a few of you. The gauntlet is an old, old GA that I havent bothered to mess with because I'm in the process of getting fiberglass gauntlets. We were just using it for scale. They really arent orange either, again the pics. Sorry that the pics couldnt be better. I'll see if I can get some better pics posted so you guys can critique. I didnt realize how bad these pics sucked until I saw them posted.

12. I helped at SDCC '08 journeymanprotector's Avatar
    Sep 16, 2002, 3:13 AM - Re: Gauntlet darts #37

Hey folks,
    I've got some found-part darts. I got them in the automotive section of Wal-Mart. They're Valve Cores made by Victor. Part #V710, described as 'short type, fits standard auto tire valves'. They come in packs of 4 (how nice!).

Each looks detailed enough to be a dart, even more detailed actually than the real ones lol, but they'll suffice in a pinch. I've been trying to take pics but my digital won't focus on something so small I hope I can get some pics later maybe.

Each is about 1.5-2.0 cm in length.

Hope this helps,
    Phil
  13. Jangofan
    Sep 16, 2002, 5:27 AM - Re: Gauntlet darts #38

It looks like your right. The shaft of the dart seems thicker. There is not as much difference between it and the head of the dart. It doesn't look like it's just the pics or the angle.
  14. gwizah_fett
    Sep 16, 2002, 3:52 PM - Re: Gauntlet darts #39

Hey are these: http://www.zvalve.com/newsite/vp_cores.html

What you are referring to? I put "tire valve core" in google and thats what I got.

15. I helped at SDCC '08 journeymanprotector's Avatar
    Sep 16, 2002, 4:12 PM - Re: Gauntlet darts #40

Gwizah, that's exactly what I have, the top left one. They're a little short (so they won't stick far into the gauntlet) but I like them so far.

Phil
  16. gwizah_fett
    Sep 16, 2002, 4:23 PM - Re: Gauntlet darts #41

Ego, Nice blueprints! Maybe now I'll finally have something to take to my uncle, aka..."Lathe Guy". Usually when I explain things, he looks at me confused. He asked if I could sketch out Jango Fett's blasters for him...IN AUTOCAD!

Now maybe your prints will impress him, I guess he likes to see the exact measurements
    Sep 16, 2002, 7:45 PM - Re: Gauntlet darts #42

Nice blueprint! I didn't do the math conversion, but make sure there is enough extra on the end the you can sink them into the gauntlet a bit with approx. 13/16" sticking out. A total length of 1" should be enough with the excess being on the tail (the thick part).
  18. Ego
    Sep 17, 2002, 3:00 PM - Re: Gauntlet darts #43

It's about a HAIR smaller than an inch . . . 0.97 inches to be exact so . . . it should be enough.

Hopefully will have them made this week if all goes well.

Of course pictures to follow as soon as they're done!

Jer
  19. Ego
    Sep 18, 2002, 1:59 PM - Re: Gauntlet darts #44

Great, now that I've got ya droolin', watch my toolroom tell me they're not going to do them! That would be my luck! hehe

Update: I've heard I should have them soonish (of course I can only get them to make them while there is nothing else pressing to be done), but, on the downside, if I am able to get extra sets made, it will be a VERY limited number of extra sets.

Update Update: Not that I would be offering any extra up for sale of course, as that goes against all LFL copyrights.

Jer
    Sep 21, 2002, 12:56 AM - Re: Gauntlet darts #45

I didn't realize how small those buggers were until I printed them out at a 1:1 scale. Thanks for the drawing . I redrew it in CAD so I could get a 1:1 scale.