Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gauntlet darts

Migrate from As You Wish

Re: Gauntlet darts

In reference to your photo's. Are these darts machined? Now I'm not knocking your darts or calling you a liar, but I used to work in a machine shop, and I can see just from the pics some odd things. One, is that they are not all identical. The tips are all different. If they were machined ( would have to be on a CNC, due to the cost you gave) they would be EXACTLY the same, as they are all lathed off the same master. TWO, I can see spots that resemple cast metal, or pot-metal, but if that was so they would be very fragile. So my only conclusion is that (from the photo's) they look to be metal rodding with cast or manually cut tips, made from a spft casting metal, like lead or pewter. Then again they could be various pieces soldered together, sanded down to a uniform finish. At any rate, they look good, just not good enough to be $25 machined pieces. Sorry

Migrate from As You Wish

Has anyone tried to use the 'body' of any actual dart? I saw some at Walmart that, with a little work, could turn out quite nice. The part I'm talking about is the piece between the stabilizing fins and weighted dart head. It is machined aluminum in approximately the shape & size needed, threaded on one end & comes in a 4 pack. I think I'm going to try to further shape this in a drill as Fettcicle had suggested earlier.

I must have been smoking something that day. The dart shafts come in a THREE pack.

Migrate from As You Wish

The best type of machine to run these are a CNC Swiss Automatic a type of lathe for small parts typically medical, aerospace and microtechnology stuff. These parts can be done in one operation and not at $25 a piece. A Swiss type can crank these out without a problem. It can run unmanned with a barfeeder until it is out of stock. Popular manufacturers of Swiss type would be Citizen or Nomura. I have direct connections to Nomura Sales in the US. I have had the drawings made for the Darts for quite awhile and have been working on the tooling costs and materials as of late. I was trying to tie the Darts in with the Adjusting Rods for the Anti-Security Blade shin tool. Anti-Security Blade rods are also ideal for a Swiss because of the cross-drilled holes. For cross-drilled holes, a conventional CNC lathe can't do it, so you would need a mill and an additional two setups to complete the part. All these things add to part price because of time and labor. When the appropriate type of machine is used price can come down. And I work for a company that makes CNC lathes and mills, however our smallest piece of equipment is still too big for this part. And I know it can be done quicker and cheaper on a Swiss. -Mark

Migrate from As You Wish

i was at wal-mart looking into parts for my dremmel when i ran across a bit that looks pretty dam closeto a dart, painted them gold and they look great in my guantlet and the best part was they were only 4.00 each.

sorry no pics suit still under construction

TR3171

Migrate from As You Wish

I haven't bought any yet but i did see alot of bits that look similar. just look in the dremel section and make your own decision on which looks best. they ranged in price between $4-15 each.

Migrate from As You Wish

Gauntlet darts

Did anyone ever come up with an accurate way of reproducing the darts on the right gauntlet? I tried the "ballpoint pen tip" method with an unpunched rivet and it actually looks pretty good. I don't think it's very close where accuracy is concerned though, so I'd like to hear some alternatives (short of machining them myself - don't have the tools for that)

Mark
    mafight@tampabay.rr.com

Migrate from As You Wish

For ref, here are my two best pics of the darts from MoM.

r_gaunt_darts-jpg

Migrate from As You Wish

I am having Trevor machine these right now...I have already looked at one dart and it looked great! He is now finishing up the set and as we sit right now he only plans on doing the one set. Two reasons, they are very difficult to make and they are running 'bout 25.00 ea. Dustin Crops Boy may be able to cast resin sets for all who are interested but that will be up to him. If anyone should decide that they are willing to burn 100 bucks on machined darts...Trevor might be up for it, but lets just first see how they look as a set and most importantly...if anyone would even be interested in getting these darts.

Migrate from As You Wish

Just spent 89 cents on ball-point pen tips.

Took em apart.

Painted em' chrome.

And they look damn near identical to the darts in those reference photos.

~Brian

Migrate from As You Wish

Don't know if this will help but back in my high school days I was into archery and these "darts" remind me of whats called a "blunt" or field/target point. By the diameter it would have to be a screw in type instead of a press fit. One thing is for sure.... They don't cost $25 @!%*& dollars.

Migrate from As You Wish

I don't want to "Over simplify" this but it seems to me you could get something simular if you get some aluminum rod, stick it in a hand drill, start the thing up, and use a couple of needle files to shape the thing the way you want, to match the shape of the dart. I understand that having these parts machined is difficult considering their size, but I think you could get ok results the "Cheaper" way.

Migrate from As You Wish

That's one reason I have been sticking with Trevor...he turns this stuff around in 'bout two weeks or less. Something that I did not realize myself when I got started with these machined greebelies is that the smaller the piece is...the more difficult it is to machine. And with tiny details, as with the darts, you end up paying more for the product. I have been happy to dish out a little more $$$ for the prompt service that I am receiving. It's a personnal choice and as in the past I am always willing to pass along any information regarding this stuff for interested members.

Migrate from As You Wish

I just followed the directions from Obi-Wan's Jedi Academy. For mine, I bought a package of Bic "Round Stic" (the standard cheap Bic pens with the white plastic grip).

1) Cut off the white plastic grip
    2) Pull out the gold-colored tip of the pen with pliers
    3) Pull out the tube with the ink (and clean out the tip, which can get messy)
    4) Cut off the cone-shaped part of the tip
    5) Glue the cone-shaped tip to the end of a nail or unpunched rivet (which is what I used for mine. They don't yet have the wider tube at the base that the MOM pics show, but I'm just going to try and find a small piece of thin tubing and run it over the rivet before gluing on the pen tips.

Mark
    mafight@tampabay.rr.com

Migrate from As You Wish

That's what I was thinking about but some that I've seen are smaller. Possibly for a pistol crossbow. Also the Dremel parts that people have refered to are probably the cut off tools part #117 or for a sharp dart #125. These are the right size but again are not very accurate.

Migrate from As You Wish

the tips look like stereo plugs almost.

TR3171

If you dont want to spend alot of money i still say the dremmel points at your local wal-mart work great, and there is alot of differant styles to choose from and they go for .89 cents to 3 bucks depending on what you want.

TR3171

I have dremil bits that I special order that are very close, but I'm looking for accurate, not almost.

Ego

Does anyone have the length or any of the dimensions for the gauntlet darts. I MIGHT be able to do something for them, but I'd like to make an accurate blueprint first. I can figure out the rest if I can just get one accurate dimension--length or width of something.

From
    Lou evil, KY

Merged: Merged: Gauntlet Darts...

Great news for me and maybe some of you too. A friend of mine said he will make some metal darts while he's at work. I told him I might need quite a few, which he said wouldnt be a problem. I don't know how he's making them (if you can't tell from my posts i'm ignorant of all things costuming). Anyway, I need a great reference pic. I don't think I'll be paying for anything, so I'll do what I can at getting a couple of extra sets made. He just needs something to go on. So send me a pic or if anyone has an extra dart you can send as a reference let me know.

Mindphunk@aol.com

From
    The first state

Merged: Merged: Re: Gauntlet Darts...

I can send you one from the ref. CD if no one else hasn't aready If he is going to "make" them,I'm hoping they are machined aluminum.

From
    Lou evil, KY

I don't know how he's making them or what he's making them from. He said he has the equipment to do them at his place of employment. He just wanted one as a reference. I thought about doing the pen thing on Obi Wans site but I don't think its accurate enough. Anyway, i'm going to forward the pics to him and see what he says. wish me luck.

QuartZ

I just lathed a dart pattern out of wood tonight, and it's not perfect, but I am going to cast it in light casting metal for my set of 4 (waiting on the metal and new RTV to get here). I started with a 1/8" dia hard wood dowel as the bast of the dart. Looks pretty close to me. I'll post pics of the set when they're done.

-Dana

From
    Indianapolis

I've been searching for a metal alternative to pen tips for quite some time. There are plenty of reference shots on the CD, so hopefully someone can finally nail this project.

From
    Lou evil, KY

I talked to the guy today and he said when he has time at work he will attemp to make them. Said he has alot of aluminum laying around and he has no intentions of charging me for anything since it will be done at work with their scrap aluminum (am i spelling that right?) I'll post more as it goes. I don't have a scanner so i will send a dart to someone (probably Spidey since he's close) so he can scan and rate them for you guys looking for accurate darts. I'll just be happy to get something on the gauntlets personally, being as movie accurate is not what I'm trying for as of now.

From
    Lou evil, KY

I have pics of the finished darts if someone will post them for me. Seeker and Impervium both have pics (maybe one of you guys will post them?). I think they look great, want the rest of you guys to see them.