Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Oct 2006
    Feb 22, 2007, 2:10 AM - Gauntlet assembly .. #1

I was going to start work on my Ruffkintoy gauntlets and started to wonder a few things ..

What does everyone use to attach the Resin cast parts to the Styrene vacuumformed parts?

Is there any advice I can get on what to do to make these things sturdy and long lasting? Should I fiberglass the inside?

How does one go about attaching a hinge to the styrene pieces? They seem awfully thin and relatively flimsy to me and I'm worried that it will tear.
  2. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Feb 22, 2007, 3:18 AM - Re: Gauntlet assembly .. #2

I screwed all of the resin pieces on, and then filled around the outside with Goop Glue until it was smooth and uniform. Fiberglassing the inside might be a good idea to keep them sturdy, but the chemical reaction of fiberglass heats the plastic and may warp it, so be careful.
    Feb 22, 2007, 8:52 AM - Re: Gauntlet assembly .. #3

Hi,

I posted a thread a while ago now about how I built up my ruffkin gauntlets. Here's a link:

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showt...ffkin+build+up

I'm currently waiting on a new Ruffkin kit to arrive so I can do another set. With the new one's I plan to fibreglass the inside to improve the sturdiness. I'll be posting another build up thread on the new set as soon as they arrive so it may be helpful for you.

If you have any questions, please feel free to drop me a PM.

Good luck

Dan
  4. Member Since
    Oct 2006
    Feb 22, 2007, 9:44 PM - Re: Gauntlet assembly .. #4

mandalore697 said: View Post
    Hi,

I posted a thread a while ago now about how I built up my ruffkin gauntlets. Here's a link:

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showt...ffkin+build+up

I'm currently waiting on a new Ruffkin kit to arrive so I can do another set. With the new one's I plan to fibreglass the inside to improve the sturdiness. I'll be posting another build up thread on the new set as soon as they arrive so it may be helpful for you.

If you have any questions, please feel free to drop me a PM.

Good luck

Dan
    Thanks for the info and pics .. I can't wait to see the fiberglassing progress. I have to wait until warmer summer weather anyway since i don't want to do it inside and it's WAY too cold here in canada in the winter.

I'm trying to figure out how you attached those hinges to your gauntlets too from the pics .. it LOOKS like it's pop-riveted in place to me but I could be wrong.

I've definately got time before I have to do the gauntlets as I'm currently working on my helm (almost done), armor, vest, belts AND jet pack all at the same time.

Anyone else with good gauntlet advice or tips?
  5. Member Since
    Oct 2006
    Feb 22, 2007, 9:45 PM - Re: Gauntlet assembly .. #5

GCNgamer128 said: View Post
    I screwed all of the resin pieces on, and then filled around the outside with Goop Glue until it was smooth and uniform. Fiberglassing the inside might be a good idea to keep them sturdy, but the chemical reaction of fiberglass heats the plastic and may warp it, so be careful.
    Screws .. hmm .. i'm leary of that myself simply due to the thickness of the styrene. It just seems so flimsy to me. lol.

And I'd definately be careful with the fiberglass .. i may do some testing first on scrap styrene just in case.
    Feb 23, 2007, 2:58 AM - Re: Gauntlet assembly .. #6

rorschach9 said: View Post
    Thanks for the info and pics .. I can't wait to see the fiberglassing progress. I have to wait until warmer summer weather anyway since i don't want to do it inside and it's WAY too cold here in canada in the winter.

I'm trying to figure out how you attached those hinges to your gauntlets too from the pics .. it LOOKS like it's pop-riveted in place to me but I could be wrong.

I've definately got time before I have to do the gauntlets as I'm currently working on my helm (almost done), armor, vest, belts AND jet pack all at the same time.

Anyone else with good gauntlet advice or tips?

I did use a rivet gun to attach the hinges to the styrene. I first but a trench into the styrene to allow the centre of the hinge to fit flush with the plastic so that there were no gaps between the halves when it closed.

rorschach9 said: View Post
    Screws .. hmm .. i'm leary of that myself simply due to the thickness of the styrene. It just seems so flimsy to me. lol.

And I'd definately be careful with the fiberglass .. i may do some testing first on scrap styrene just in case.
    I also screwed my resin parts on. I drilled into the resin, epoxied a bolt into place and then drilled a hole through the styrene and attached a nut. It works perfectly. It's a lot sturdier than simply gluing the parts into place.

Dan
    Feb 23, 2007, 6:28 PM - Re: Gauntlet assembly .. #7

I used hot glue gun for an instant bond.
    Feb 23, 2007, 10:22 PM - Re: Gauntlet assembly .. #8

I used just Goop by itself, holds like a charm.
  9. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Feb 24, 2007, 4:26 AM - Re: Gauntlet assembly .. #9

I used goop also, then I reinforced it with screws. Also holds like a charm