Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

FP Armor - Version 3

From
    Oklahoma City

Re: FP Armor - Version 3

Great job on all of those details FP. I did something similar with my Jango knees, except it wasn't resin like that. I cut out holes in the outside piece so that the darts wouldn't put pressure on the plastic, and on the inside I made a piece that the darts actually attached to. The center diamond looks perfect as well. I really look forward to getting a set of this new armor. Keep up the awesome work.

Alrightythen ... here are the comparison pics, as promised

There's a lot to say. As usual. So I'll make it as brief as I can. I'm sure there will be some of you that probably don't care to here it, as the pictures may speak for themselves. But I feel that I should give a general rundown of some of the basic mods from V.2.

But first, a little bit of a reminder, or a small new tid bit of Fett education for our newer members here that may be trying to catch up .... as I've been asked nearly every day this week about "Fiberglass".

"Vacuum Formed Armor" is "Screen Accurate". Fiberglass is NOT. I did offer armor in fiberglass, very briefly in 2005. Yes, it is more durable, in some respects. In others, not so much. The chest armor for instance ... they just lay there. There is no reason for bullet proof there. Vac formed is lighter, and more comfortable. And they "flex" when necessary. Fiberglass does not. Knees in fiberglass, are just a very, very bad idea. I can go on. There are pro's and con's to both. Will I offer them in glass again in the future? Probably. But at the moment, I'm more interested in accuracy.

Chest Armor -

New sculpt. They had to be. Modifying the exhisting vacuum form molds would have taken weeks because the concave changes were so drastic.

As I stated before, V.2 was pretty close. But mainly it lacked some dimension. They weren't flat by any means. But the real Fett armr is almost ridiculously shaped. I can honestly say, whoever sculpted the original vac molds for the screen uses Fett armor, must have sculpted them over David Prowse's body builder boobies

The other main problem with the chest plates in general, is that they were "compressed" in a manner of speaking. Because of 2 dimensional photos, and no real world reference until now So in implementing the new "dimension" to the armor, even the shapes changed .. pretty drastically. The reason for this is when you take a two dimensional shape, and put a compound curve in it ... the shape will appear to be smaller, and compressed. The shapes of the V.2 armor looked correct ... "straight on". But turning slighty to the right or left if you're looking at someone wearing the armor ... something happens. The bottom line is ... the armor shapes are a whole lot stranger looking than I would have expected if you were to imagine taking the real armor and "flattening" it out ... they would look like over exaggerated FP V.2 Armor So I had to reverse that . What this yielded were armor plates that not ended up being very much different in basic shape. As I stated before, the V.2 looked right straight on. But from any other angle, there's something wrong. The shapes had to be made larger, to average the plates out to the same size as the V.2 dimensionally, so they would still look right straight on Now, they look "right" from any dorection It seemed to all fall right in place ...

Other minor mods include, the DENTS obviously And you may not be able to see it in the pictures because it's stark white styrene, bit there is a "mound" onthe real chest plate around the chest light slots. It appears that this slight "mound" was sculpted in to help accommodate the chest lights themselves. This "mound" is now there. I can try to get a pic of it later on the primered set I posted earlier. It's actually quite interesting.

Collar -

The collar was actually still undersized in proportion to the armor. SO this obviously had to be changed. In the process, some of it's "dimension" was actually removed. The real collar is very "flat". And has a much wider neck opening.

The dents are all different now. Same placements, but more realistic
    dents. Most notably is the large dent illustrated in the next pic ....

Cod Plate -

Where to begin here? I won't even try. This one was actually a revamp of the existing mold. I should have re-sculpted , because it turned to be a bear of a job. The most notable change here, is that it has an added geometry to it. The V.2 cod piece was very round and sleek, with no real geometry to it. As you can see in the pics, there are "angles" around the edges, very similar to the Jango codpiece ! Years of seeing the cod piece through a camera lens, and plexi glass, this little detail slipped right passed us. Well, me anyway. I'm sure there will be some of you that won't confess that you hadn't noticed it either What I do know is, if it had been noticed before, someone, somewhere would have incorporated it. Because it's just, well, COOL ! I know I would have stepped up tot he plate a lot sooner

Aside of the new "lines" planted on this one, the dents are completely different, and the captain's bars (as I like to call them) are much more defined, and "canted" or "cocked" slightly to the left as the screen piece.

Kidney Armor / Butt Plate -

This one is short and sweet. V.1 and V.2 were flat pieces of templated styrene. As most armorers provided for years. It's now vacuum fomed, with dimension. The kidney plate is 27 inches long. Between this noted length, and the cod plate that attaches to the kidney plate, there's approx. 38 to 42 inches of room for you at MOST, depending on how you trim it. This is with a 2 inch overlap on each side for attachment. So it should accommodate most average sized Fetts. If you need more room than this, please specify, and I will include an extension.

Knees -

To be perfectly clear, as I'm still being asked about the need for a heatgun The knees are not only formed in one piece, they are formed already bent/curved, just as they are in the pics.. This is why the mold was so difficult to make, because releasing the formed plastic from the mold had to be considered, given they are formed in the exact shape you see in the pictures. NO heatgun to form anything, no assembly. Just trim, and mount your darts and strap system. They are extremely flexible. You can add additional support to them from he inside if you prefer, but they should last a long time, as there are no glued seams to crack or break.

What's been changed since V.1? Everything. They are a completely new sculpt. They are larger than the previous version, both width and a little in height. The dart housings are longer, and now have that accurate "wrap" that wraps around toward the back of the leg. And MOST notably ... there is a compound "bevel" at the bottom of the front of the knee. It's there. In every picture of Fett. It's easy to miss with them being painted and mucked up. I've known they were there for a long time. I was just too lazy to incorporate it. I figured now was the time !

Backplate -

New sculpt. Again, would have been way to difficult to modify. The V.1/V.2 backplate, had too much dimension. Too "stylized" and sleek, for lack of a better term. The real backplate is really pretty plain But it still looks good I think

Most notable ... the "mouth" or "opening" is MUCH wider. The dents are different, and new beveled lips were added to the bottom. The lat wings are bigger. And ther eis now a bevel around each of the jet pack strap opening's, to strengthen the styrene after triming to prevent cracking.

That's a WRAP !!!

In the first post above, I posted a new picture, that shows the kit in it's entirety. As the old time "Kenner" commercials said ...

"It comes with everything you see here. Some assembly required"

Any questions ... now's the time. Post away. I'm waiting on the price of the plastic to give the price quote. It appears that this tun won't be much more than the last, because I have had a shipment of plastic laying in my shop since the FPH project took me away in JUNE !!! So it will go for nearly the old prices. Keep in mind however, that with the extra pieces, it will be a little more anyway. The next run, will definitely be a bit of a bump. Probably around $50 - $60 more the next time around.

Thanks everyone, for your kind words as always, and for you're continued interest and enthusiasm in 'Ol FP's work !

FP
    Last edited by fettpride; Dec 2, 2007 at 8:05 PM.

From
    Newport News, VA

*Faint*

Awaiting price info!

From
    Newport News, VA

Ooops. . . double post.

WOW ! Those are all fantastic FP! Any chance there is some Jango in the works ?

From
    Detention Block AA23

At the risk of gushing....

Wow! I love this stuff! Your attention to detail is amazing. I was so pleased to see the subtle warps and asymmetry copied so well!

I will be very, very excited to get some paint on a set of my very own.

From
    S.F. Bay Area California USA

Wow! FP
    You know I'm in again...
    Add me to the list when you are ready..
    I'll take my ESB with the dented knees of course.
    Thanks Bro!
    Last edited by FettOfficer; Dec 6, 2007 at 10:08 PM.

wow...that's all I can say...

Awaiting price along with the others

I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Will you be offering a "No Knees" set too?

From
    Idaho Falls ID

Thank the maker...

fettpride that is Freaking SWEET:thumbup:thumbup

Its a good thing I wated to upgrade my EBS Fett...

PUT ME DOWN FOR A SET!!

-Willy-

From
    Fort Worth, TX

Man.

I wonder if I should put up my v2 armor (already cut, Velcro-ed and primed) for sale?

From
    Laguna Niguel, CA

Beautiful! Just waiting for a price!

HH

From
    Plymouth Meeting, PA, 19462

For me, not really sleeping until I see a price....

Lucksy31 said: View Post
    For me, not really sleeping until I see a price....
    Good Lord, I spewed a little coffee out my nose on that one Thanks for the pick-me-up

Ok so I'll know for sure about noon today. But it looks like the preliminary price at this point with the basics, and all the extra new parts is going to be $250 + S/H in the lower 48. The old price was $235 + S/H. So it's not too bad. That price should be good for quite a while even with inflation. I can pretty much commit to that. Keep in mind that I haven't raised the price since, oh about 2004, even with all of the hikes in plastic costs. I took a little for the team in recent runs. And even then, it only went up $10 bucks from when they were first introduced. Unfortunately this is because the thickness of the plastic that is used for strength and quality. .060 gauge is what is normally used by makers that do this sort of thing, because it's CHEAP. I refuse to use .060 gauge for ANYTHING. Even though it's probably more accurate to what was used for the movie suit

The V.3 armor is pulled in .090 gauge, and the backplates are 1/8th thick (thicker than the .090) for additional strength. These two thicknesses KILL on the market.

So hang tight until noonish PST today for the confirmation. At that time I will start with the normal 10 slots. I know of a few that are poised over the pay-pal button, so it might fill up fast. If there is more than 10, we'll work it out. I'll probably have to order more plastic, but it's very doable in the same timeframe.

Thanks everyone !

FP

From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

They will be rough trimmed, correct?

GCNgamer128 said: View Post
    They will be rough trimmed, correct?
    Yes sir

FP

From
    Sweden

At that price, Im in!!!

I have to say...I recieved a set of this armor already for a special project....and I still have yet to take my eyes off of it........

I think every detail is perfect....
    and you can really tell there's a huge difference from V.2 vs V.3...a Better Difference.

LOVE the Butt/ Kidney Plate.:thumbup

And seriouly 250$????!! what a steal bro...

I can't wait to start painting!!
    Last edited by Spideyfett; Dec 3, 2007 at 10:59 AM.

From
    michigan

ummm.......FP... :o

put me on the list!!!!! im mean, how can i possibly pass this up! :thumbup

that means only one thing! look out for my painted up v.2 armor going up for sale in the cargohold soon!!

if the first run slots are taken up, put me dwn for the 2nd wave!!!

*kicks himself in the beehind for not stating i want in on my first post in this thread!*

Back again, interested!!! thats an understatement if ever there was one! Thanks for the comparison pics FP, They look awesome!!!

K guys, I'm making a list .... and uh, errr, checking in twice?

I forgot to add, that I did make a modification to the ESB right shoulder bell, and forgot to post the comparison. My head is MUSH lately So I'll get that up in the next hour or two. It was a LAST MINUTE thing, and as with everything else ... by the seat of my pants as they say

Spideyfett .... don't use the right bell I sent you bro, you'll regret it

FP

From
    UK

More updates... these have all rocked so far FP!

I really hope you got my PM's and put me on the first run? waited for soooo long to own a set?

I helped at SDCC '08 MandalorFett's Avatar
    From
    California USA

fettpride = awesomeness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup

From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Birthday present for Andy?? Hehe, I'm taking full advantage of my 20th

From
    Canada, on the planet of Hoth.

Time to tell my wife my "wedding gift" is ready to order!!

FP,

I just unexpectedly moved this weekend...

so FPH $ will be sent asap.

awesome armor glad i waited!!